Dynadot

Hack or no hack?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vincew

Top Member
Impact
I need clarification on what a hack is.

Stagecoach is one word, it's in the dictionary as such. The domain "stage.coach" would be a hack, correct?

IF stagecoach was 2 words and not one - in other words, "stage coach" was proper English - would stage.coach be a hack then?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
StageCoa.ch would be a real hack

Other examples would be
Gam.es
Portfol.io
Provi.de

•••
I see. So a split between syllables wouldn't be a real hack?

•••
These are quite new really and only become more popular since the new gtlds have been release...before you could only really do this with short cctlds like .Me, .TV, .To etc

Live.TV
Fly.To
Love.Me
Gold.Co.in
etc

•••
Those are cool.

Somebody was looking to buy a hack and I was just trying to figure out if putting the dot between syllables of a two-syllable word was a hack or not.

•••
•••
That's a good one.

Jes.us

•••
All are considered hacks now. As explained so far but a lot of people are calling 2 words hacks also. When they are just more sensible for now gTLDs we are gonna see some dumb stuff registered as hacks.

Last edited:
•••
freshe.rs
mete.rs
semiconducto.rs
tollfr.ee
rada.rs
Live.Pictures
Marriage.Shopping
rap.id.ly

Last edited:
•••
But if that is the actual word I reckon stagecoach in the uk would have it heavily trademarked as they have run a bus service in the uk for many years and called stagecoach

•••
•••
Two words hacks are very hard to sell IMO

•••
Thanks for the responses everyone.

But if that is the actual word I reckon stagecoach in the uk would have it heavily trademarked as they have run a bus service in the uk for many years and called stagecoach

No, I was just using stagecoach as an example. The actual domain is available to register, I was just trying to figure out whether I should get it or not.

•••
stage.coach would be an emd (exact match domain), not a hack. Both "stage" and "coach" work both together and seperately as a real word.
On the other hand, stagecoa.ch is a hack- the left of the dot doesn't get meaning without the right of the dot added to it.
There's special hacks such as stagecoach.es, where you get a 2 for 1 deal.

•••
Yeah .. I'd tend to agree with what @HotKey just said ...

Stage.Coach is indeed a word .. but it's also comprised of 2 word .. with the split between those 2 words .. many refer to this as a "Span.the.Dot" domain. StageCoa.ch would be the "hack".

Personally i think the Span.the.dot version is infinitely better .. and while there are sales of hacks .. most of them I think are garbage and unless it's a cool hack or an extremely wanted word it'll be worthless. Other obvious exceptions are ultra short hac.ks 4-5 characters in total max. Stagecoa.ch to me is a useless domain.

WARNING: Different people use different terms when referring to such domains. Be careful as some would call stagecoa.ch a span.the.dot and others still would call stage.coach a hack. There is no real standard here.

A recent @DomainSherpa interview actually talk about these in detail .. you definitely should listen to it before buying anything of the like. You'll notice the interviewee actually calls them "Branded Domains" .. which I think is very incorrect and unrepresentative of the fact there's a dot where there traditionally is not.

While there are sales in these domains .. I'd be very careful .. because the sales that do happen are memorable .. but I'd be willing to bet the total number of sales of "Ha.ck" domains are very small.

Personally I think businesses in the near future will certainly use span.the.dot domains like stage.coach if the spanned.words are very on topic to their business (I'm thinking the actual domain stage.coach might be a little bit of a stretch) .. while at the same time I doubt domainhac.ks longer than 5-6 charaters will ever even be considered by a business.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back