IT.COM

advice Got an offer for 5K for a LLLL . COM Counter or no?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just when I am starting to get into domaining,
I just got an offer for 5 K from a godaddy broker on behalf of a buyer.
What should be my first response?

It is a short brandble .com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The word is weird. By it selt it doesn't form any word. But add one letter it has many possibilities. Example. Ability civility. It is not lity but you get the drift. I bought it in 2012 in a gdd auction for low 300s.

This domain had about 10 inquiries even though i have whois. But noone responded when i countered 10k so far in the past.

On jutia, there arw about 10 trademarks with h
This word but not in entirety. Like civi-lity if i use the above example. One letter addition makes it a beautiful 5 letter word and 2 are trademarked. Like a-lity and b-lity. Again lity is not the word.

•••
Just to add buyer is willing to pay all fees and brokerages

•••
Thats worse actualy !! because if the emails you recieved were from domainers i think you would expect as usual silly offers like $100 or $200 . thats why they disappear when they see the $10k

•••
I counted and Justia has 54 results with my 4 letter word as a Suffix if that means anything

I have never posted this domain on any Marketplace.
I bought it in hopes of developing someday as it was brandable with a single letter word hack like del.i.cio.us
more like a.bility.com
Funny to think about it

•••
Think of it as a brand and see if it works. Does it suggest a meaning? Does it have a positive or pleasant sound? IF it is also an easily-pronounced word that is not clumsy and sounds like a real word, I'd ask at least 15-20k. You can always come down.

Last edited:
•••
Think of it as a brand and see if it works. Does it suggest a meaning? Does it have a positive or pleasant sound? IF it is also an easily-pronounced word that is not clumsy and sounds like a real word, I'd ask at least 15-20k. You can always come down.
Let me put it this way, it sounds exactly like a very nice single syllable 4 LLLL word, but it is not spelled like a simple "song" more like sogn, but it is not made up. It is an accepted currently usable spelling for the same letter and you will read it like i said when you see it. It is just that the the word itself needs a prefix to make it meaningful, as all the available brands using my syllable suggest.

•••
The quantity and quality of a domain name determine the price of a domain name,
The most important thing is luck

•••
You have received an offer from GoDaddy broker, which means they have purchased GoDaddy brokerage service to enquire about the domain. You must counter a decent price near their offer.

•••
Counter and if they don't counter back, you can still accept their initial offer if you want.

•••
An initial 5k offer means something. I did receive before a 5k offer and it was a brandable name. Countered 30k and buyer kept silent. I kept silent too but buyer came back after a week then offered 6k, next 7k, then 8k and finally he made his final offer at 8.5k which I accepted. Negotiation took about one month but it's worth it. In your case, if I were you, I would counter high.

•••
But your buyer could have just walked away and you would have nothing. I really don't understand the need to squeeze someone for a little extra when the goal is to get a buyer and sell. I would take the 5k and turn it into 10k

•••
I didn't counter or anything. I asked the broker to discuss a counter offer and he still hasn't replied my email. I followed up yesterday also and left a voicemail. So much for professionalism.

•••
That's too bad, maybe in the long run though you'll be glad that this sale didn't push through. :xf.smile:

•••
It was an entertaining read regardless, and I wish you good luck with the future sale 😉
Well it also opened my eyes. I have collected a lot of domain over the years, and I got serious about domaining. Not sure why I never thought of domaining as an investment. Hope to get some modest success.

•••
Not exactly lovn.. I was playing with the word love to say it is not that premium, but not gibberish either
Is it a good idea to mention the domain?
I m still not very aware of forum etiquette yet.

I didn't see anything with that name on google.
I have had enquiries from china korea etc in the past

Last edited:
•••
The word is weird. By it selt it doesn't form any word. But add one letter it has many possibilities. Example. Ability civility. It is not lity but you get the drift. I bought it in 2012 in a gdd auction for low 300s.

This domain had about 10 inquiries even though i have whois. But noone responded when i countered 10k so far in the past.

On jutia, there arw about 10 trademarks with h
This word but not in entirety. Like civi-lity if i use the above example. One letter addition makes it a beautiful 5 letter word and 2 are trademarked. Like a-lity and b-lity. Again lity is not the word.

If in the past nobody responded when you countered 10k , Then dont repeat the mistake , specially in the current economic situation , Its fair enugh to counter 7k as a last price for the buyer to take it or leave it .

•••
If in the past nobody responded when you countered 10k , Then dont repeat the mistake , specially in the current economic situation , Its fair enugh to counter 7k as a last price for the buyer to take it or leave it .

They were all from other domainers emailed directly via whois without any offer to be fair and i just replied saying 10k

•••
Take the money and run unless they are asking you to provide an appraisal then it's a scam

•••
Always counter. If its through a Godaddy broker I'd tell them to try to get as much as they can and close the sale. They are very experienced and will do what they can to get more from the buyer

•••
If it is through a broker then I recommended counter more. Especially if you believe it is worth more, counter with that number.

The broker is your wall between yourself and the buyer. So use it to your advantage as they can always go back to the buyer with something like "I just spoke to the domain owner and have talked him into lowering his price to $5,000" if the buyer really isn't willing to budge on the offer, yet you are willing to sell.

Meanwhile if negs breakdown and the buyer comes direct because you have your own lander. Well, you can re-kindle things and "blame it on the broker" so to speak.

Last edited:
•••
An offer like that means it's probably a startup company or a company looking to rebrand. You are probably not dealing with a fellow domainer, so price it accordingly.

Four letter domains that are brandable are actually quite rare and valuable. I hope you counter offer with a high number ($40k+)
There is a company that did recent expansions at the end of 2019.
300+ employes. Mid XX Million revenue and their website is L-LLLL.com lol

•••
If it sounds like a word or name I'd be asking a price higher than 5k, for sure.

My comment about GD was to the person who seems to think they get the most out of buyers. So yes, you need to be asking a good price; but in case they don't respond with another counteroffer, make sure you've got a way for a buyer to reach you directly -- like a page lander or public Whois information, besides having the domain listed on the big marketplaces. Even the same buyer might try again but might use another method of contact.

Last edited:
•••
The last domain I sold, the initial offer was $200 and ended at $5000 (NLLLLL.com)and no broker fee.
Found me via landing page. Counter offer for sure. $5000 initial offer is great start.....

•••
Last edited:
•••
On what planet did you experience this? When contacted by a GD broker with a buyer interested in a domain of ours, we'd be lucky if they came back with any negotiation at all. As a result we are not quick to respond to those missives.
I'd have to agree. In my experience, with Godaddy "Buy Service", their broker did absolutely nothing on my behalf as a seller.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back