IT.COM

discuss Got 12 Inquiries in 4 days for one domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Memomax

Established Member
Impact
Hello namePros members

I've some domain names parked at uniregistry using for sale landing page, and recently one of them Got 12 Inquiries in 4 days, from 3 Chines companies, I searched all of them and found that one of them is so big, I asked them to make an offer but they asked for the price I thought they might need to know the price range first so they don't make a higher offer, so I sent a price quote to all three companies and I didn't hear back from any of them for almost 12 days, I followed up asking if they're still interested in the domain name and still no response for 3 days now, so I need your advice guys,
should I use uniregitry brokers as they can speak chines??

Notes: - the domain got an inquiry on afternic also.
- My asking price is lower than other domain extension with the same keyword.

What should I do guys??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
last year I had an offer through undeveloped, we countered back and forth and agreed on $2800. They failed to pay in time and the sale was cancelled by UD. A week later I got a lower offer from them than the price we agreed on, I simply rejected it and did not message them. Then 2 days later I got an offer from the for the same price originally negotiated, I was getting pretty piss$d off at this point as I don't have time to dick around. I raised the price to $3500 in a counter offer which they rejected and countered the same $2800 price again. I rejected their offer and wrote a message saying the price was $2800 originally but since then the price has increased. So I countered them at $3800 and they accepted, paid immediately and domain was transferred to them within a few hours. Made myself an extra $1,000 simply by showing I wasn't messing around.
wow a great experience to share thanks a lot for sharing.

•••
Obviously you're not a magician, are you? So, how do you know which inquiry is BS and which is not?

FYI. Sometimes, the most serious buyer may present an inquiry so lame that you may want to kick ass
once on a DomainSherpa interview a pro domainar said he got a $100 offer on a domain and ended up selling the domain for $18,000 as I remember for the same end user who offered $100

•••
•••
So I replied you said $800 I agreed, it's that or move on. Nothing for two months and then they agree but they don't understand Escrow.com, I walk them through and then eventually the transaction gets voided as they never paid and three weeks later GoDaddy sends me

Your Domain Has Sold

But then a new nonsense starts, the name was at Name.com, I get their code and push, Go Daddy called me saying that the buyer from China, is saying he does not have access to the account and is threatening a chargeback. Go Daddy said that I could push the domain to a house account they have with Name.com.

Finally pushed but it took forever. One of the most difficult deals for not a lot of money.
Great case-study to share Thanks a lot

•••
Hello namePros members

I've some domain names parked at uniregistry using for sale landing page, and recently one of them Got 12 Inquiries in 4 days, from 3 Chines companies, I searched all of them and found that one of them is so big, I asked them to make an offer but they asked for the price I thought they might need to know the price range first so they don't make a higher offer, so I sent a price quote to all three companies and I didn't hear back from any of them for almost 12 days, I followed up asking if they're still interested in the domain name and still no response for 3 days now, so I need your advice guys,
should I use uniregitry brokers as they can speak chines??

Notes: - the domain got an inquiry on afternic also.
- My asking price is lower than other domain extension with the same keyword.

What should I do guys??
Will add a comment even though the post is almost 2 weeks old.

The sales process has in some reported cases on Domain platforms and Domain blogs that documented a sale involving direct negotiation with an end-user has been known to go back and forth for weeks or months and certain times a buyer or a seller may even be quiet for weeks during the negotiations. it has been known to happen.

Sadly I can not advise what to do (contact them or wait for them to contact you) as I do not have first hand experience in such a case.

Best of Luck

•••
Will add a comment even though the post is almost 2 weeks old.

The sales process has in some reported cases on Domain platforms and Domain blogs that documented a sale involving direct negotiation with an end-user has been known to go back and forth for weeks or months and certain times a buyer or a seller may even be quiet for weeks during the negotiations. it has been known to happen.

Sadly I can not advise what to do (contact them or wait for them to contact you) as I do not have first hand experience in such a case.

Best of Luck
Thank yo so much for your comment

•••
Thank yo so much for your comment
in addition,
I just remembered something. IF they are interested and you contact them, you will seem desperate for the sales and weakness your leverage or negatively position if its not a fixed price sale... If they contact you then they are eager to buy and it gives leverage... This can make a big difference especially for the high value domains. But if it may not be a big worry for a domain worth say.... $3000.

•••
in addition,
I just remembered something. IF they are interested and you contact them, you will seem desperate for the sales and weakness your leverage or negatively position if its not a fixed price sale... If they contact you then they are eager to buy and it gives leverage... This can make a big difference especially for the high value domains. But if it may not be a big worry for a domain worth say.... $3000.
You're right that's why I didn't chase them, just the regular follow up nothing more.

•••
I'm late to this thread, but here is my $0.02

I've received several offers for one of my short domain names from China, one of them even offered me low 5 figures (USD) and I agreed. Then nothing. As I did my research, the name was an exact match for a brand new fashion brand. I even tried to contact the company in both English and Chinese, nothing. Now it's 8 years later, the brand was doing well, but not super high-profile. I still have the domain name and I'm using it for one of my projects.

So the moral of my story is that just because there were inquiries, they don't necessary translate into sales. Also, China is a big country, the people who asked about the domain name may not be authorized to make the acquisition on behalf of the company. I still get inquiries about this particular name from time to time, but most of them are just lowballed offers.

•••
I ignore all offers from china. I'd rather drop it. Don't use broker ever, imo.

•••
I ignore all offers from china. I'd rather drop it. Don't use broker ever, imo.
First offer I got from China resulted in sale, $10,000. Offer start from $5,000. So, it's difficult for me to support your perspective.

•••
Wow,good for you. When they offer me yuan, I feel disrespected and ignore. I can sell to whoever I want!

•••
Let me clarify, I don't think everyone is playing games. I have since sold many domain names to Chinese buyers via Escrow.com, PayPal, even 4.cn without problems.

I'd caution that, I think, every situation is different. For my post above, there must have been an announcement for a new company or something back then, and local domainers raced to contact me and offered me lowballed offers, hoping to do quick flips. Some of them even claimed to be from the company (but all used generic free email addresses). Today that company is selling on JD.com and not even on its own website. I don't really care anymore.

Another example, I got a flurry of inquiries recently within days for another domain. After quick research, they were all seem to from the same group, but they forgot to talk to each other: One was from the close advisor of the CEO, one was from an IT director of a PR agency, one marketing manager, and the company's legal counsel. Each tried to use different languages but with the same low budget. Instead of increase my price with every inquiry, I just gave them the price that I think it is REALLY worth and walked away.

I'm at a point in my life that I don't need to sell to maintain my portfolio.

•••
An update: Got xx,xxx offer and asked for mid xx,xxx they said we have to think about it, it's been months, now How should I go back to them so I open discussion and end a sale?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back