Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
I'm not a fan of keyword-keyword domains, but YMMV. Random thoughts:
  • everyone thinks you're a spammer
  • changing business focus, or even expanding, is harder
  • you have no brand name, there's nothing that people can search for which "obviously" should show your site. You're always competing, you're not building value with long-term users.

Reddit

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think this necessarily has to do with hyphens. Because the argument holds for most keywordkeyword domains too.

But as to why he would say "keyword-keyword domains," rather than "keywordkeyword domains" my guess is one of the following.
  • Hyphens are still important in the url-directory. mysite.com/mystory is worse for SEO than mysite.com/my-story.
  • "Keyword-keyword" is a bit easier to read than "keywordkeyword."
  • The hyphen makes it look worse due to their lack of use.
Either way I do see his points here.
  1. For professional businesses brands are the go-to SLD. Sometimes a PMD or an EMD does work as a brand, but if it doesn't then it may come across as a low-quality site for diverging from the norm.
  2. This is also true. A perfect example is when zenpayrolls.com wanted to expand and rebrand to Zen, they couldn't secure the domain and ended up rebranding to Gusto.
  3. While I think he's right, there's a caveat I think he's missing. From a competitive perspective nike.com is better than shoes.com*. Because people searching for "shoes" will find nike.com but not shoes.com, and at the same time, people who want to look for nike-related products will be able to find them by adding nike, e.g. "nike jersey". So in that he's correct. But! Like I hinted on in #1, something like "Manhattan Plumbing" is an extremely effective brand in terms of marketing. You can literally put up an ad only saying Manhattan Plumbing and nothing else, and people will know that your company exists, where you're located, and what you're doing. And if your brand is Manhattan Plumbing, then you want manhattanplumbing.com.
*shoes.com redirects to dsw.com, and you receive no SEO-bonus for redirects. In other words, aside from the occasional http-search, shoes.com is wasted.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think this necessarily has to do with hyphens. Because the argument holds for most keywordkeyword domains too.

But as to why he would say "keyword-keyword domains," rather than "keywordkeyword domains" my guess is one of the following.
  • Hyphens are still important in the url-directory. mysite.com/mystory is worse for SEO than mysite.com/my-story.
  • "Keyword-keyword" is a bit easier to read than "keywordkeyword."
  • The hyphen makes it look worse due to their lack of use.
Either way I do see his points here.
  1. For professional businesses brands are the go-to SLD. Sometimes a PMD or an EMD does work as a brand, but if it doesn't then it may come across as a low-quality site for diverging from the norm.
  2. This is also true. A perfect example is when zenpayrolls.com wanted to expand and rebrand to Zen, they couldn't secure the domain and ended up rebranding to Gusto.
  3. While I think he's right, there's a caveat I think he's missing. From a competitive perspective nike.com is better than shoes.com*. Because people searching for "shoes" will find nike.com but not shoes.com, and at the same time, people who want to look for nike-related products will be able to find them by adding nike, e.g. "nike jersey". So in that he's correct. But! Like I hinted on in #1, something like "Manhattan Plumbing" is an extremely effective brand in terms of marketing. You can literally put up an ad only saying Manhattan Plumbing and nothing else, and people will know that your company exists, where you're located, and what you're doing. And if your brand is Manhattan Plumbing, then you want manhattanplumbing.com.
*shoes.com redirects to dsw.com, and you receive no SEO-bonus for redirects. In other words, aside from the occasional http-search, shoes.com is wasted.
Reminds me of the (possibly true?) story about Google looking to buy Search .com
Whether true or not, Search .com would have been a waste of a category defining generic name if it then redirected to Google .com

•••
Reminds me of the (possibly true?) story about Google looking to buy Search .com
Whether true or not, Search .com would have been a waste of a category defining generic name if it then redirected to Google .com
If i own Search.com i would purchase a bing api with integrated chatgpt and Google comeback with big bucks .

•••
It's the first time I'm hearing of this story.

Could it have been true? Yes. Because back in the day, before Chrome existed, you still had to go type google.com into your address bar (technically you'd could also set it as your start page), and Google wasn't as well known at the time, and back then search.com would've been easier to advertise.

But would Google be interested in buying search.com today? No.

It's important to understand that the value of domains is temporary. In fact a recent example here was cbdoil.com, which sold for $500,000 back in 2019.

But if you look at recent sales of cbd-related domains of similar length you end up with results like:

cbdday.com721 USD2023-01-10
cbdpop.com265 USD2022-11-25
cbdhub.com2,500 USD2022-09-20
cbdgum.com1,850 USD2021-08-17
cbdnow.com2,000 USD2021-08-12

But some people are under the impression that the value of a domain is something that can only grow. Of course, these people are going to hold on to their domains until the day they die.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back