IT.COM

Google in talks to buy YouTube

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Search engine declines comment on story that it's discussing deal to acquire video-sharing site for around $1.6 billion.

damn thats a lot of money !!!

•••
i would wonder why google would do that. They have there own video sharing service already. It seems pretty popular, lots of videos on there..

•••
Google coming out with their video sharing service only showed just how much they liked the idea. No video sharing service will ever come close to youtube.

•••
what does youtube do better than the google video service?

•••
Nothing major - just YouTube is far more popular.

•••
If it is true then that's amazing - after all, just think how new YouTube is, how fast they've grown, and already a massive player in the internet is interested in buying them!

•••
Surprising but not surprising I guess. Google is just a machine! I would think that google video would be more advanced but I guess popularity is king in this sense.

•••
Your right that youtube has more traffic specific to video but i would bet that google video does pretty good.

I guess time will tell. I do not think they will buy it but weirder things have happened.

Maybe google has cash just burning a hole in there pocket.

Just for lauphs did a whois on youtube.com to see how long they have been around.

They have only been around since Feb 2005

•••
Damn that a serious amount of money D-: ......has youtube only been going since 2005 ??

Wow !!

"you tube" has a different meaning in Scottish slang !

•••
Youtube was bound to get bought. I also think Google is smart in the purchase because AOL, Yahoo, or MSN can at any time come in and sweep the place up. Between the deals with Myspace for it's ads and now the purchase of youtube (which will happen) Google is positioning itself to stay ahead of the curve.

•••
You Tube has been mentioned on several national news stations as well, its all over the media. I've yet to hear anything of the likes about google video service. YouTube.com is unique, google.video.com is just an add on to there other thousands of nitches. Thats just my opinion.

•••
gtube.com (plus net, org, info, eu and mobi) is already taken, damn! :o

•••
I would love to see YouTubes Hosting Bill D-:

•••
Wow, google taking over more of the internet! lol.

only been going since 2005.. wow

•••
YouTube is just awash with copyrighted material though, you'd be crazy to buy it!

Also, YouTube is surprisingly not the top video content provider on the internet. MySpace is with Yahoo! a close second on unique streams. (Source)

•••
My guess, they own or operate in a very large datacentre, with distributed server clusters around the world in the major countries and continents. That has gotta come in at $XX,XXX at least. I fail to see why google would buy its competitor unless there are plans to merge or unite the two services. Perhaps powering google video with the youtube engine, or cross-site promotion techniques.

•••
GoogleTube?

"YouTube is just awash with copyrighted material though" << and google's search machine archives aren't ?

•••
I just read that.
Google will put ads all over youtube.com if it buys it.

•••
cdboard said:
GoogleTube?

"YouTube is just awash with copyrighted material though" << and google's search machine archives aren't ?
I suppose you're right :(

If asked, YouTube will remove copyrighted material immediately. Ofcourse, they are obliged to in anycase, but they wait until they are asked to. It's the same principle to what Torrent networks do really. Just get it while you can!

•••
I'd heard yahoo! are interested in you tube as well so we will have to wait ot see how it pans out but my guesses are that it will most likely get sold to either msn, google or yahoo! but then again we could see a suprise bidder and snap you tube under their noses.

•••
I think Google should listen to Mark Cuban. He recently said "YOU TUBE" is not a good business due to all the copyright material on that site

•••
It's rare I watch or care about the copyrighted material on YouTube. I often watch original shows and even subscribe to my favorites. I would rather spend 2 hours watching youtube than Network TV. I think it's the video network of the future. Just look what it did in 1 year! I believe people will be watching show on Youtube on a regular basis very soon. If Network TV was smart...after Google buys Youtube...you should see Youtube offering exclusive shows where ads are placed within the show (like TV). Computer users are captivated..they don't get up or change the channel when a commercial is on...they sit patiently for the 30 seconds.

•••
jamie31877 said:
I would love to see YouTubes Hosting Bill D-:

A small excerpt from this article which contains some interesting overall information on YouTube.com.
Excerpt said:
Bandwidth Costs
YouTube Bandwidth Costs On April 2005, a Forbes article cast a spotlight on YouTube's bandwidth bills and how much of a limitation this is to its business. The article claimed that the site uses 200 terabytes a day which easily approaches to a $1 million monthly bandwidth bill. What's surprising is that this was even before its peak in June/July in which the site doubled in traffic.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back