Domain Empire

Google Has Rejected me

NameSilo
Watch
Last week I faxed Google 6 pages requesting permission to use GooglePlans[dot]com for my blog, http://googleplans.blogspot.com

The letter I got back is rather disappointing (I can post this publically, right?):

-----------------
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your interest in Google! We are always happy to hear from enthusiastic users. While we are flattered by your endeavor, unfortunately, we cannot approve your request (original fax attached) to use "Google" in your domain name or to use our Google logos.

In general, we do not allow the use of the Google name in URLs nor do we allow the use of the Google logos by 3rd parties. We hope you understand our position and know that we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your inquiry,
-----------------

I guess I can understand why they'd do this, but most of the 6 pages was explaining how I would explicity state my non-affiliation, etc, etc, and it would be pro-google... Ah, oh well... $10 down the tubes... at least I didn't get sued.

I will probably have to change the URL of my blog now from "googleplans.blogspot.com" to "gplans" or somethin... :( Will I have to?

Thanks,
-Matt

PS. Is there any way I can get a domain WITHOUT the word Google in it and still make a google fan site, w/ no Google logos, and still be legal, without needing to request their permission?

...and what do I do with this domain that doesn't expire till next September???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Damn thats a shame. I also understand where they are coming from.

I wouldn't bother using that domain name now they know about it

Unlucky, at least you only paid $10 for the domain and not anything substancial

Good luck in the future

- Luke

•••
wow yeah man... Very disappointing... I agree with luke, atleast it was only $10 & a lot of time for the 6 pages.. You could sell it couldn't you? You own the domain, google doesnt...

-RageD

Last edited:
•••
Thanks... so should I change my blog's address at BlogSpot to something like "gplans"? And can I reg a domain WITHOUT the word "Google" in it and make it a Google fansite without a google logo?

•••
*sigh* I dont know, would that be possible? I am thinking you would need their permission for a google fan site.. & clearly state you have no affiliation with them what so ever...

-RageD

•••
They placed the google logo's on their site - free to be used - : S ?!?

•••
compuXP said:
Thanks... so should I change my blog's address at BlogSpot to something like "gplans"? And can I reg a domain WITHOUT the word "Google" in it and make it a Google fansite without a google logo?
Not gplans.com :(

Creation Date: 25-oct-2001

http://www.iwhois.com/gplans.com

-Steve

•••
Well I know that, but gplans.blogspot.com I mean. Or, what domain could I get that doesn't have Google in it that could be a fan site?

•••
Try reverse sikolo-g: googolplans

•••
or you can try Gooogle, with 3 o's

•••
...but the domain still makes sense? lol... sensable ones would be great :P

•••
Googlicious.Com! :P
Googlater.Com, Googling.Com, Googlage.Com...
Make up a word, be creative.

•••
Don't ask for permission to use it, just use it :P . Too late for that. As you know I own googleforums.org, and as long as I state in my disclaimer that im not affilliated with google and I DO NOT use their logo it is perfectly legal :)

•••
Somehow, Josh, I think doing it behind their back is more illegal than not...

•••
JoshHendo said:
Don't ask for permission to use it, just use it :P . Too late for that. As you know I own googleforums.org, and as long as I state in my disclaimer that im not affilliated with google and I DO NOT use their logo it is perfectly legal :)

Wrong...

•••
wow, first time I've seen this thread. Sorry you got rejected (I suggested the name, too)
I'm suprised they wouldn't let you, but I guess I understand where they are coming from. Aren't there a bunch of huge sites that use google in their domain though?

•••
A shame! I'm sorry for you... :(
Well, I don't really know much about that! ;)

•••
considering that blogspot = blogger, and blogger is owned by google... if they didn't want anyone to use "google" in their username, they would easily be able to make it so it couldn't be created in the first place. i'd say you're fine using googleplans as a subdomain to a site owned by google....

•••
•••
•••
Lol, you're advertising them but they don't want it? Weird... :S

•••
Amano said:
Lol, you're advertising them but they don't want it? Weird... :S

They dont want people to give the wrong expression of Google. If I was in their position, i would do the same thing.

•••
Hay, That's not fair. You should've used the domain you've registered. At most you should state that you have no affiliation with Google.com (Google Inc.)

Anyways, Do you still want to make a Blog around Google related content?

•••
Why don't you expand it to be like... webplans or something, and cover more than just Google, expand in to covering all kinds of e-companies: eBay, Google, Yahoo, all the giants...

•••
Because the OP registered the domain fully knowing it is based on copyrighted material, it is not fair? Wow, you should be happy google didn't ask you to hand the domain over to them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back