NameSilo

Creative Commons - Free Copyright Protection

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

user-7256

VIP Member
Impact
111
Hi,

Just stumbled upon this site, www.CreativeCommons.org - and I use it on my site, www.mattsprojects.net and my blog, http://googleplans.blogspot.com .

I don't understand it totally, (i'm not a lawyer or anything), but it will give you some extra legal protection, especially in court methinks. But - for best protection, get a lawyer, etc, etc.

Any more insights on this?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Yes, I also use this. But I am not really clear on if your copyrighted material is stolen what legal action we can really take.
 
0
•••
Anybody know more? :-/
 
0
•••
Yes, and it's been said time before, you can release your stuff under the pre-fabbed Creative Commons license, it just tells people how they can use your stuff...

But if someone steals it, you still gotta take em to court and enforce your rights to your work. It doesn't give you any *additional* rights or protections. If you don't use the Creative Commons, then it's automatically presumed that the work is yours and no one can copy it without your permission...

Then of course, there's always the issue of whether your work is a work of art, what percentage, fair use rights, yada yada yada...

Fact is, most people here probably don't have the money to take someone to court over them taking your stuff. And for those of you who do have the money, you'd probably never collect the judgement from the poor schmuck who stole your content anyways.

Sorry, dem's da facts.
 
0
•••
All it does is tell people what they are allowed to do with the content of your blog/website etc. You really can't stop them if they do though :(
 
0
•••
Why stop them? I love when people use my stuff and come up with new ideas from my designs etc etc. For this the CC license is great!
 
0
•••
Right, but the thread starter thinks it provides some kind of "protection", rather than granting "permission" to use stuff.
 
0
•••
You misunderstand the goals of the creative commons, it is to expand the commons, ie give away rights normal reserved under copyright law.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I use it.
I think it is just for a little extra protection for your content. (Basiclly for show, to let people know not to copy)
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back