IT.COM

MS/Google Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
am i safe having MS and Google domain names

is MS likely to sue me or google?, there only to talk about there products nothing todo with flaming them or anything like that, we have put notes on the sites saying we have nothing todo with Google or MS and that these are un official forums

is that enough?

or should i chuck the domains before i develope them further?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Microsoft and Google are not likley to bother about forums, i.e fansites, but when it's just registered and no content, or not a site about google/ms, then you'll run into problems.

What's the domain in question? (Or has it not been registered yet)

•••
I think that he means the site has been registered, am i wrong?

•••
Google is not as monopolistic as Micro$oft, but I would be careful nonetheless. They won't care if you don't make a noticable profit from the domain.

Microsoft? They'll sue you for everything you've got if the domain even SOUNDS like their company. (like Mike Rowe's case).

•••
one is xp-forum another is googlechat

•••
If you just keep them about Google / Microsoft, I dont think you will have problems.
Googlechat is a very nice name btw, especially if it's a .com :)

•••
Be careful with xp-forum. Don't make it profitable :P

•••
Masahiro said:
What's the domain in question?
I would suggest NOT posting the domain name even if it IS registered. PM him instead.

•••
And why is that? I have always wanted to know...

•••
there's a chance that you'll get a cease and desist letter.. and you'll have to work it out then. based on past experience, you probably won't get a lawsuit slapped against you without prior communication.

in the case of Mike Rowe and his MikeRoweSoft.com, microsoft lawyers sent him a number of communications before a lawsuit was threatened. the reason that domain became further under the radar was because Mike Rowe decided to ask $10k from Microsoft to transfer it to them...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39119181,00.htm

•••
Didn't that Mike Rowe guy get a free xbox & computer aswell as a job or something?

•••
•••
WOW. That's pretty darn cool! Lol I wanna get sued by Microsoft! (Just kidding!)

•••
free xbox and m$ training, wow, it actually makes me want to get sued now

ill take a 360 and the training please

•••
I wouldnt register any to be on the safe side.

•••
The only reason Mike Rowe got that was the bad perception it put out on Microsoft. Did Microsoft really want everyone in the world to know about that lawsuit? Heck no, so they turned around and turned it into a promotion campaign and gave him the free stuff to make themselves look good.

•••
•••
135791 said:
am i safe having MS and Google domain names?
No, you're not safe. Microsoft iis known for suing anyone and everyone that puts their name into a domain name and tries to make money on it (whether it is through a parking program, downloads site, or whatever). Even with Google, you're not safe; Some of the parking programs will not accept names with "Google" in them, or even the typos of "Google" because the parking programs are making some profit of names that are parked within their services.
compuXP said:
Google is not as monopolistic as Micro$oft, but I would be careful nonetheless. They won't care if you don't make a noticable profit from the domain.
You're partially right, Google is not a monopolistic as Microsoft, but Microsoft has been split into parts, whether you notice it or not. People aren't just going to stop doing business with Microsoft just because they were to be found to be Monopolistic. People are going to go out, and use what is available to them, what they are able to access, and they will use it.
I think this is an issue of knowledgeability rather than monopoly. Firefox has taken great strides against Microsoft's Internet Explorer. The Linux line have taken a good hit towards Microsoft's Operating Software.

And best of all, its free, quality software. But back on subject ;)

compuXP said:
Microsoft? They'll sue you for everything you've got if the domain even SOUNDS like their company. (like Mike Rowe's case).
Yes, you got that right, as I have stated above. I went to the MikeRoweSoft.com website a while back, and again just now, and it does look like the forums still seem to be online. Good for him. :)
135791 said:
one is xp-forum another is googlechat
Yes, everyone is out to make a buck. For most people, you are online for a few reasons. For entertainment (let your entertainment be of your own personal interest, not shared on NP), to make money (selling domains, running websites, parking traffic names, etc), and for more entertainment.
compuXP said:
WOW. That's pretty darn cool! Lol I wanna get sued by Microsoft! (Just kidding!)
No, you don't. There is a quote that negative publicity is publicity, and that is certainly true in this case, but you don't want to go around letting it be known or writing on your resume that you were sued by Microsoft, the world's largest Computer Software manufacturer for infringing on a trademark :(
135791 said:
free xbox and m$ training, wow, it actually makes me want to get sued now

ill take a 360 and the training please
Maybe you should take a trip over to WIPO. When the sole arbiter sits down to look at a case, you don't see the arbiter ruling in favor or the Complainant, but then awarding the Defendant $x in the Complainant's Product. See following quote:
jmweb said:
The only reason Mike Rowe got that was the bad perception it put out on Microsoft. Did Microsoft really want everyone in the world to know about that lawsuit? Heck no, so they turned around and turned it into a promotion campaign and gave him the free stuff to make themselves look good.
Exactly. Case Rested.

I'm up for debate, if anyone is silly enough :p

-Steve

•••
Lets be honest tho, the domain names that these companies really want, or need for their business they plan ahead and get the domains they need before they release the product or service, or name of their product or service.

They are probably most liklely to target well-known domain names that makes somone lots of cash, or domains with sites that offend or make them look bad

In which case they may just take action against you any way despite your domain name

:imho:

•••
since having the name google/msn/yahoo on any part of anyone's domain name is an infringement if the site is to be profitable. why the heck are we allowed to register these names. domain registars need to ban these names for registration. if sedo can detect these names from being posted on their parking site, i know they can detect these names from being registered.

•••
stscac said:
No, you don't. There is a quote that negative publicity is publicity, and that is certainly true in this case, but you don't want to go around letting it be known or writing on your resume that you were sued by Microsoft, the world's largest Computer Software manufacturer for infringing on a trademark :(
You've got an interesting point there. I know exactly what my reaction would be if Mike Rowes resume landed on my desk. “Oh, yeah. Wasn't he that cybersquatting media whore who tried to extort Microsoft and settled for an xbox? Do I really want to risk taking on an employee who might pull the same crap on me? Plonk.”

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back