NameSilo

Good domain words for city portal sites

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion, started by EbookLover, Feb 8, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. EbookLover

EbookLover Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

So my city is lacking in the online portal area. I want to create and online portal for my city which would consist of classified ads, business directory, events calendar etc, etc, etc.

Now the one portal we do have already has CITYNAME.com.

So what are some words that you know other successful city portal sites have used you think would be good SEO-wise and marketing-wise in conjunction with the city name in the domain name?

CITYNAME{whatever}.com or {whatever}CITYNAME.com

I only want one word before or after the city name, but preferrably after.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Noe

Noe Girls are like domains, the ones I like are taken. ★★★★★★★★★★

CITYNAMEonline.com
    myCITYNAME.com
    CITYNAME.net,info,...newgtld, cctld...

3. garptrader

garptrader Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

after the city put the state abbreviation example...

OrlandoFL.com
    NewYorkNY.com
    SanAntonioTX.com

These are probably registered as well. Launching a city website is time consuming and the process of landing advertisers is more difficult than merely launching a site with relevant content. I scoured local newspapers and freebie circulars at supermarkets to see who was advertising already and attempted contacting them. I also went to local shopping centers to contact small businesses to sell ad space. Creating content (such as covering a weekend 3x3 basketball tournament which took about 16 hours of my time between shooting and editing video) without compensation means you are working for free. You have to pay bills somehow so I eventually abandoned the effort. Do not underestimate how much work is involved in creating a local city portal. Of course you can offer free directory listings but then how do you make money?

4. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Contributor VIP

I have similar idea and I bought Houstonians in dot com for it for $5.5K.

5. artstar

artstar Top Contributor VIP

Visit....
    Guide to...
    Discover
    My

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice