Dynadot

discuss GoDaddy vs Estibot vs NameBio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gomikeright

Impact
I feel like GoDaddy's domain appraisal tool is better than Estibot. Estibot looks at searches of a domains words together, but I think it doesn't take into account the value of the keywords individually. I know GoDaddy's tool is free and Estibot costs money after a few appraisals, but that doesn't automatically make it better.

I think it makes sense for GoDaddy to separate the words and recognize their value individually. Also I think NameBio has better comparable sales than Estibot. It seems like Estibot finds the worst comparable sales it can for a domain compared to GoDaddy and NameBio. GoDaddy's comparable sales are more average. What do you think?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The value of a domain is what buyer/end user is willing to pay.

Period.

Never mind, but I totally disagree with your statement.

It's the total opposite in actual. The domain is worth what the domain owner is willing to sell it for. There are plenty of buyers who're interested in buying domain but the seller rejects the highest received offer which doesn't mean that highest offer was the actual value of that domain.

The domain owner have to understand the value of it's domain and set price accordingly. How can someone else dictate or set the value of my domain!

•••

Period.

•••
I feel like GoDaddy's domain appraisal tool is better than Estibot. Estibot looks at searches of a domains words together, but I think it doesn't take into account the value of the keywords individually. I know GoDaddy's tool is free and Estibot costs money after a few appraisals, but that doesn't automatically make it better.

I think it makes sense for GoDaddy to separate the words and recognize their value individually. Also I think NameBio has better comparable sales than Estibot. It seems like Estibot finds the worst comparable sales it can for a domain compared to GoDaddy and NameBio. GoDaddy's comparable sales are more average. What do you think?

Both GD and Estibot appraisal tools are worthless.
NameBio is good to check comparable sales. Even this isn't accurate because many sales end up with winning bidder fails to make payment but NameBio still records it without verification of every individual sale.

•••
•••
I don't think any bot can rate a brand.

•••
I like the Estibot it's more accurate (google searchers per month, ads, etc) than godaddy.

Chololate.com - Estibot value $4,100. Godaddy is not good for brandables - says Estimated Value: $574 👎

Easiest way spot new; if use GD to justify ask.
GD; has most $1K+ out of all the appraisals.

Samer

Last edited:
•••

Period.

Doesn't it also depend on who is doing the selling and where it's being sold? The same domain name that will sell on Godaddy for $x,xxx will sell on Namepros for $xx. GoDaddy has a feature that can kill sales. It shows the estimated value under the premium names for sale. I wish they would stop doing that.

•••
Just remember, any Godaddy "govalue" under $2k are garbage. (most 1-2k)

GD is valuable, if over 3k+ some 4k+ range.

The value lies in how you use the tool.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I had an offer this week (2 for 2 domains) for a domain that was hand registered in January 2020. The domain name is Vodka.Direct which is valued at €1887 by GD. I feel that this is a good name and can't think of many better vodka domains other than vodka.com. The offer received was for €35 which was rejected. I countered this offer of a minimum of €500 with some wiggle room built in. This was after all a €50 hand reg.

I was told in no uncertain terms that the domain name scored zero on backlinks, seo, referring domains and domain strength and was therefore worth practically nothing and that the price is was quoting was totally unrealistic.

However, out of my entire portfolio this was the one that the offer was made on and the person making the offer was prepared to make a 35 x value offer on it.

Now, I'm a newbie still wearing learner plates and I can't see what I did wrong. I would have negotiated further if pushed and probably would have allowed it to be sold for €300. This would have given me a good ROI and left some meat on the bone for the offeree.

What would your strategy have been in my position and what should I have done differently?

I'd appreciate any feedback as I happen to believe that appraisal tools are more valuable to end users than they are to us domainers and although they are a guide only there must be some merit to them and maybe we can't see the wood for the trees and we are passing up a selling tool that is free to use.

Regards,

Reddstagg

Bullying or anything remotely resembling that offends my sensibilities. I would stand firm. It's my domain name and that's my price. You either pay it or move on. I don't care what the 'machines' say. There's a fine line between negotiation and manipulation, and I see buyers flirting with it far too often.

•••
OKAY, since you have taken up this topic:

Every service has a different approach (algorithm) to assess this value. No algorithm is actually perfect: so I simply take out the average, I may be silly but this is actually a good way to assess the real value of a domain you own, to negotiate with the end user (as a reference/citation) :)

Side note: For actual acquisitions/reg/drop catch, I use my own scripts and use paid APIs (of DNS history, for example), to correlate with a set of parameters of what can be considered valuable and what not (in reseller and end user space) and its considerably better (more practical) than Estibot or, GD ;) but needs more development to become productive i believe.

Good afternoon and welcome to NP as I see you're relatively new.

Obviously, from the comments that you made your far from a Newbie to tech and domain names in general.

I've been doing this for just over a year but I did a lot of reading and understanding before I bought/registered my first domain.

I'm considered a Newbie but I bring 54 years of the university of life to the table. This gives me a different perspective, but it not something that gets you any credit in this world. I get mad when people tell you your domains are worthless but then try to buy them from you, obviously with a plan to make even more money off the same domain name.

I'm lucky compared to most as I don't need to sell any domain names. If I don't have any money I just don't register or buy any names until I have enough funds.

There are certain commodities/services that have never suffered during recessionary times such as bread and milk. Now, if you owned bread.com or milk.com they would be worth a shed load of money, but who is actually going to buy them. Maybe only five people in the world. I'd rather own buymilktoday.com buybreadtoday.com and know that there were potentially more people available and willing to buy the names.

I'm not sure that the basic economic principle of supply and demand works the same for million dollar domain names.

Maybe, just maybe one day I will own Milk.com. You could say its a very liquid domain.

Enjoy your journey and good luck for the future.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
has a feature that can kill sales. It shows the estimated value under the premium names for sale. I wish they would stop doing that.
This is one of the reasons why I consider Godaddy Appraisal the worst THING ever happened to domain business. Plus the fact they can't appraise any name beyond $25k

•••
This is one of the reasons why I consider Godaddy Appraisal the worst THING ever happened to domain business. Plus the fact they can't appraise any name beyond $25k

funny... :)
My peeve 99% time feel gd value above $1K+

Last edited:
•••
All appraisals are worthless and gives false comfort to investors.

The true appraisal is the price in which a buyer and seller agrees to make a transaction, in my honest opinion.

Last edited:
•••
For individual single non-liquid domains you can't rely on any of them. They each do have their uses, and I'm actually a happy paid subscriber of @estibot.com, but I'd never rely on it to price a specific domains .. not GoDaddy's appraisal either.

•••
I like the Estibot it's more accurate (google searchers per month, ads, etc) than godaddy.

Chololate.com - Estibot value $4,100. Godaddy is not good for brandables - says Estimated Value: $574 👎

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
I had an offer this week (2 for 2 domains) for a domain that was hand registered in January 2020. The domain name is Vodka.Direct which is valued at €1887 by GD. I feel that this is a good name and can't think of many better vodka domains other than vodka.com. The offer received was for €35 which was rejected. I countered this offer of a minimum of €500 with some wiggle room built in. This was after all a €50 hand reg.

I was told in no uncertain terms that the domain name scored zero on backlinks, seo, referring domains and domain strength and was therefore worth practically nothing and that the price is was quoting was totally unrealistic.

However, out of my entire portfolio this was the one that the offer was made on and the person making the offer was prepared to make a 35 x value offer on it.

Now, I'm a newbie still wearing learner plates and I can't see what I did wrong. I would have negotiated further if pushed and probably would have allowed it to be sold for €300. This would have given me a good ROI and left some meat on the bone for the offeree.

What would your strategy have been in my position and what should I have done differently?

I'd appreciate any feedback as I happen to believe that appraisal tools are more valuable to end users than they are to us domainers and although they are a guide only there must be some merit to them and maybe we can't see the wood for the trees and we are passing up a selling tool that is free to use.

Regards,

Reddstagg

The fact that you received an offer after only ~2 months since registering the domain is a very good sign. I would have countered with €1,000. That buyer wanted to pay less than your reg. fee - ridiculous.

I think this is a moderately valuable name, despite .direct not being particularly popular. Chances are that you'll get more (and better) offers this year.

Good luck.

•••
The fact that you received an offer after only ~2 months since registering the domain is a very good sign. I would have countered with €1,000. That buyer wanted to pay less than your reg. fee - ridiculous.

I think this is a moderately valuable name, despite .direct not being particularly popular. Chances are that you'll get more (and better) offers this year.

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback. Compared to some of my more dubious domains I think it is one of the better ones.

I hear too many times how a hand reg can't be valuable as it doesn't have this or that history. Even if I register a name today and someone buys it tomorrow they are buying it because the name fits their required criteria.

If domain name investing was that simple, everyone would be doing it...oh, wait a minute they are lol.

The world is/will change and nobody can predict the future.

A little humility goes a long way.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Thank you for your kind words.

A Bully can only bully if the person they are trying to bully can be bullied.

I don't think it was a case of that in this instance. However, I think that some people need to re-think their buying strategy. On one hand they tell you that your domain in worthless and then they offer you 35 times the value they place on it. That makes no sense to me.

Imagine if you will that the best two letter domain name in the world had never been registered and potentially to the right buyer it could be worth millions. If, after all that time I happen to find this two letter domain name and hand register it. Does this automatically make the name worthless as it has no history. No, obviously not, but you just can't explain that to some people.

I'll carry on doing what I'm doing and I'll get there eventually.

Enjoy your journey.

Regards,

Reddstagg

Frankly, a domain's history does not mean anything to me...unless it's an existing business. I'm buying it for the vision I have for it. If the domain was once a business that went under, I personally wouldn't want to launch my new promising venture on the backbone of a fiasco.

The two kinds of buyers:

Buyer 1
"That is a great domain name. Unfortunately, I'm a startup and my budget will only allow me to pay $x,xxx. Can we work out a deal?"

Buyer 2
"Your domain name is not worth what you're asking for. The bot says it is worth $x,xx. That's what I will give you."

My response to Buyer 1
"What are you proposing? Let's discuss your venture and let me know what I can work out for you."

My response to Buyer 2
"You and the damn bot can go dance." if I bother responding.

•••
funny... :)
My peeve 99% time feel gd value above $1K+
Yeah. GD Appraisal is perfect for low priced domains. If I have a domain that I value at $100-$1000, I'd run to GD as they're likely gonna be appraise above 1k. But anything above 1k is a kill joy.

•••
•••
Never mind, but I totally disagree with your statement.

It's the total opposite in actual. The domain is worth what the domain owner is willing to sell it for. There are plenty of buyers who're interested in buying domain but the seller rejects the highest received offer which doesn't mean that highest offer was the actual value of that domain.

The domain owner have to understand the value of it's domain and set price accordingly. How can someone else dictate or set the value of my domain!

I fully agree with AbdulBasit. One of the secrets of success in domaining (retail mode) is being able to set the correct price and stick to that price until the right buyer arrives.

•••
Yes.

I would not expect big ticket sales here in NP, as most are resellers. But you can have some publicity for the name, which is not a bad thing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back