domains GoDaddy valuations changed – they took $3k off one of my names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
I was looking at GoDaddy valuations and I had a name in there of mine. I then was doing some stuff for a few hours and came back and hit refresh for whatever reason. The value of the name dropped by like $900, I was like that's weird not that automated appraisals mean much. In a poll I did on Namepros, 0 was the majority of votes given when asked their importance on a scale of 0 to 10. So … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Double check with your toaster, if the amounts are the same then you are back on track. If not, hej, you got a talking domain evaluating toaster. It's all good.

•••
I just posted something related to this, it seems like GoDaddy tried to integrate their testing/OTE API with the Appraisal web interface & messed up, maybe...

If you look closely, https://api.ote-godaddy.com/v1/appraisal/yourdomain.com, replace yourdomain.com with your domain, the value is similar to when the drop happened.

https://api.ote-godaddy.com/v1/appraisal/nh.tv -> $8935 (value back then) from Raymond's blog post...
https://api.godaddy.com/v1/appraisal/nh.tv -> $13985 (present value)

Last edited:
•••
I believe they are dynamically changing valuations, I am also noticing some price changes lately.

•••
I've just checked few of my older dot coms and they appear to have gone up quite dramatically, some over 30% and a few almost 50%. I still think it's a bit of a gimmick but it's nice to see an algorithm reflect your original hunch that something will grow in value ;)

EDIT: On a second closer look, yes it actually appears most have gone down... a few by as much as 400%, some have gone up as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
•••
... There's even a 1 dictionary word .com in Spanish that is now "worth" $2,000 less than a week ago according to GD.

Belmar, I did read somewhere that GD Go Value works using an English dictionary, and will not recognize language outside of that.

•••
Belmar, I did read somewhere that GD Go Value works using an English dictionary, and will not recognize language outside of that.

Yes, I tested other and have gone up a bit. But most have gone down, many 100% or even much more, like you mention. Apparently, for different languages, the drop in value is even more obvious. Searching for terms in French, Spanish, Italian, even if one word .com, seems to confirm it somehow that it works better for English.

•••
After all, there are not many choices, especially for the owners with a large number of domain names.:xf.wink::dead:

•••
Some domain names have gone up in price and some have gone down in price. Don't know if their evaluation criteria are?

•••
•••
Tested a few names with 1k+ reduced to around 200$. Dumbasses, don't they know that increasing the value increases their commission if sold through them at such price?

Further proof to never trust a bot valuation. This is why lowballing kids loving referring to GoDaddy & Estibot valuations.

•••
•••
Paul Nicks from GoDaddy commented about the appraisal irregularities:

by Paul Nicks at GD;
"Our data science team has been adding new data sources in order to re-train the algorithm and improve accuracy. We released the new algorithm pre-maturely last week and have since rolled it back."

At least GD admitted their mistake, but it almost gave me a heart attack when they revalued a domain I own, PopsRibs.com from $1,031 to $102 back to $1,031 all within 48 hours.

Still Estibot/Epik values it at "0", Nameworth values it at < $500 and Free Valuator values it at $2,150.

Ironically if there were a credible subjective "scoring" program, this domain would have scored high marks. Why? Just ask and i'll tell you why:xf.smile:

Regardless, i still use a combination of all the appraisal services to "help" determine whether i buy a domain, and how i value a domain.

•••
Why would PopsRibs.com have scored high marks?
Because of comments like this from the the owner of what some on this thread consider to be the best domain appraisal business; "It does sound like a catchy name and I like it."

Besides this comment and others similar, this is exactly why PopsRibs.com would have received high marks if there were only a subjective scoring program. This should make perfect sense to a common sense consultant:xf.wink:

•••
•••
I was looking at GoDaddy valuations and I had a name in there of mine. I then was doing some stuff for a few hours and came back and hit refresh for whatever reason. The value of the name dropped by like $900, I was like that's weird not that automated appraisals mean much. In a poll I did on Namepros, 0 was the majority of votes given when asked their importance on a scale of 0 to 10. So … [Read more...]
Not good, but these valuations are just a number for reference, even the buyers know that.
Thanks for sharing.

•••
What I found while randomly testing some of my domains is that many of the "comps" that GoDaddy presents in their valuation are not recent. AN example is a 5-letter dot com of mine that GoDaddy values at $3562 gives me 10 comps, some of which are 10 years old. I dunno.

•••
Evaluations provided by GoDaddy or third party providers for that matter are irrelevant and carry zero weight.

•••
Gurkas are still expensive at GD.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back