IT.COM

registrars GoDaddy terminating fast transfer inclusions over Afternic for any of Epik’s customers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Here is a great example, issued from a generic email address, and in usual GoDaddy etiquette, lacking even the courtesy of a contact name or a signature for such an important landmark event. This is how they notify Epik – two hours after the election was called for Joe Biden – that they will be terminating fast transfer inclusions over Afternic for any of Epik’s current and future registrar customers. Can you say anticompetitive behavior from a group in massive need of antitrust oversight as a monopoly? Epik can, and it is added to a rapidly growing list of unthinkable market behaviors that will be accounted for.

https://www.epik.com/blog/afternic

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Looks like @Epik.com is paying the price for free speech.

•••
It seems GoDaddy refers to Sections 11 and 23 of the Premium Promotion Agreement. I wonder what they state.

•••
We need to support and continue our loyalty and patronage to EPIK.com. First it was PayPal and now Godaddy which is distancing away from Epik.com. I am sure, these architected boycott will only make EPIK.com more stronger and outperform in domain industry. We all hope soon PayPal and Godaddy will restore their services to EPIK.com @Rob Monster

Last edited:
•••
Maybe I am mistaking but think that customers can change the monopoly game. Maybe a nice movement could be to remove our domains from afternic as a sign of protest.

•••
It seems GoDaddy refers to Sections 11 and 23 of the Premium Promotion Agreement. I wonder what they state.
Without having read the Premium Promotional Agreement <<based off assumption>> it looks like <<Sections 11 and 23 are more so related to the agreement termination process>>, opposed to a scenario where Epik was in violation of sections 11 and 23.

upload_2020-11-16_10-53-39.png

Notice the following paragraph mentions:

Pursuant to Section 12: within ten (10) business days, Epik is to cease use of all Afternic Services...

Pursuant to Section(s) 9 and 17: Epik must refrain from issuing any press release or similar publicly statement...

upload_2020-11-16_10-56-42.png

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lastly, who is "I"

upload_2020-11-16_11-2-25.png

I seems to be an anonymous company coward employed to filter away any cordial accountability process.

kipe: Who wrote the letter?
yddadog: I wrote the letter.
kipe: Who is I?
yddadog: I am Karen.
kipe: Karen wrote the letter?
yddadog: Yes, blame Karen.
kipe: Who is Karen?
yddadog: Karen is the fictitious name we use when customers question who I am.
kipe: Why?
yddadog: Because you can't hold Karen accountable.
kipe: OK, so is the notice of termination fake like Karen?
yddadog: @Joe Styler & @Paul Nicks -- The first rule of Karen, there is no Karen?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By the end of the termination notice, I had turned into Us

upload_2020-11-16_11-28-15.png

and Us can apparently be reached via email at [email protected].

So what happens next?

Is Epik supposed to email [email protected] and ask for "I" or "Us" to discuss recourse?

Sincerely,
Me

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler
@Paul Nicks

way to pick on the little guy; You have 80M dns
Epik doesnt even have 1M domains; typical.

# NoDaddy picking on the little guy.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is not a monopoly. Just because a company is big, doesn't mean it is a monopoly.

You can get the same services they offer from domains to hosting via any number of other providers.

If anything Verisign and other registries are the monopolies. They are the only provider of specific extensions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Maybe GoDaddy didn't appreciate Epik constantly attacking them.

Maybe they didn't appreciate being dragged into their dispute with Paypal, which had nothing to do with them.

Or, maybe it was the doxxing of employee information in a completely irrelevant manner.

Maybe it was another reason, who knows.

Either way, since Rob and Epik are such a proponent of free speech, it cuts both ways.
GoDaddy is a private company and can choose who they want to do business with.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is not a monopoly. Just because a company is big, doesn't mean it is a monopoly.

You can get the same services they offer from domains to hosting via any number of other providers.

If anything Verisign and other registries are the monopolies. They are the only provider of specific extensions.

Brad

True and their pricing does not make it impossible for others to compete it actually opens the door.

I would like to see greater transparency, a reason why. This does not affect Epik only but customers many who also have accounts with GoDaddy.

It seems many in this industry are cool with no transparency when it's directed at a company they don't like. But if they get banned look out a million posts here and on Twitter demanding answers.

#TransparencyForAll

•••
Maybe GoDaddy didn't appreciate Epik constantly attacking them.

Maybe they didn't appreciate being dragged into their dispute with Paypal, which had nothing to do with them.

Or, maybe it was the doxxing of employee information in a completely irrelevant manner, who knows.

Either way, since Rob and Epik are such a proponent of free speech, it cuts both ways.
GoDaddy is a private company and can choose who they want to do business with.

Brad

Everyone can choose to do business with who they like Brad, but reasons need to be given. I am pretty sure if Namepros and Afternic said Hey Mugford you are out, banned from using our websites. You would want a reason, and I don't think you would be quiet if no reason given.

•••
Everyone can choose to do business with who they like Brad, but reasons need to be given. I am pretty sure if Namepros and Afternic said Hey Mugford you are out, banned from using our websites. You would want a reason, and I don't think you would be quiet if no reason given.

True, but I also wouldn't be blaming George Soros and Hunter Biden either. :)

Brad

•••
Sooooo

"Epik must refrain from issuing any press release or similar publicity statement regarding this agreement or its termination, without prior approval of both parties to the agreement"

Wonder if there are any penalty clauses for breaking the above.......

On another note this is going to kick where it hurts for a lot of domainers, I have a fair few still with Epik, been slowly transferring away as they come up for renewal - might need to reassess this...

As you say ,the "why" would be nice nice to know as it has a detrimental impact on a lot of people.......

Last edited:
•••
way to pick on the little guy; You have 80M dns
Epik doesnt even have 1M domains; typical.

# NoDaddy picking on the little guy.

Epik has been taking shots at GoDaddy for quite some time now. Let's not pretend that Epik is a glass house here.

Frankly, I'm surprised GoDaddy/Afternic didn't exercise their right to refuse service at any number of Epiks past blunders. I mean, you don't shit on somebody's carpet, and later ask why you weren't invited over for dinner? Or do you? I guess everything is/can-be situation dependent.

Other domain industry companies have had issues with Epik, seemingly more publicly frequent since the onboarding of Epiks new senior VP of strategy and communication.

Back to point:
  • It appears one side <GoDaddy> is reserving the right not to do business with <Epik>.
    Similar to how Dan banned Sav.
  • While the other side <Epik> might be eying an even bigger payday ahead if they can prove anticompetitive/monopolistic behavior on GoDaddys behalf...?

Last edited:
•••
True, but I also wouldn't be blaming George Soros and Hunter Biden either. :)

Brad

I have never understood the bringing in politics or other nonsense. Stick to the facts about your business. Because that's what customers care about, 99% don't want to hear anyone's politics.

•••
Sooooo

"Epik must refrain from issuing any press release or similar publicity statement regarding this agreement or its termination, without prior approval of both parties to the agreement"

Wonder if there are any penalty clauses for breaking the above.......

On another note this is going to kick where it hurts for a lot of domainers, I have a fair few still with Epik, been slowly transferring away as they come up for renewal - might need to reassess this...

As you say ,the "why" would be nice nice to know as it has a detrimental impact on a lot of people.......

I truly believe GoDaddy does not care about how it affects others, because they look at it as they are not giving up our distribution, outsiders trust our brand more than anyone else. Domainers talk a lot of shit on forums, blogs and Twitter but usually don't back it up with their wallet.

•••
It's the Godaddy way.

Let's not forget NL has consistently run thousands of liquidations daily for almost a year (time flies!) and a good portion of those are Godaddy's free lunch money going back to domainers instead. I'm sure they have their reasons to segregate a portion of their own customers, ultimately that's all they did. But it matters to say, Godaddy doesn't need "domain investor sales." They have an ocean of end-users, whom Godaddy regularly abuses by flipping their expired domains. Turning off Epik's domain investors is likely a negligible loss in terms of their overall operations.

I urge domainers to go their own way, test test and test some more. Don't depend on one distribution channel because it could easily be turned off in an instant for something you said or something someone disagrees with. Real change is coming to this industry, albeit slowly, but we make progress every day.

Personally, I never liked Afternic. No loss here. If you feel at a loss, perhaps it's time to ask why you are giving away so much of the inherent leverage your domains have, to a company that won't flinch when they shut off your lights.

Stay frosty!

•••
99% don't want to hear anyone's politics
Very true. Especially outside U.S. Who is Hunter Biden? What is the difference between Epstein and Weinstein? Honestly, all this stuff is in many aspects irrelevant outside U.S., which markets Epik tries to cover with all the empowerment they are speaking about in the marketing campaigns. I, for one, am not U.S. citizen or resident, and I care about my business, not about U.S. politics.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe a nice movement could be to remove our domains from afternic as a sign of protest.
Hi

that's a good movement to start
when you gonna put it to action, and how long will it take for you to delete all your names?

can you get all the gang to follow too?

then maybe it will be easier for buyers to find my names there.
and that's no joke!

i don't have any names at godaddy, so it's not a monopoly to me.
but if epik is trying to be the "all in one, go to place for you",
then that seems like a monopoly in the making.

instead of co-existing in the realm, seems like they want to be the realm, for which all evolve around.

you can't be the only circus in town... cuz we like some of the other clowns too.

clown!

imo...

Last edited:
•••
they will be terminating fast transfer inclusions over Afternic for any of Epik’s current and future registrar customers.

As I mentioned in another thread I was giving afternic a try with several of my better names and had an inquiry/offer pretty quickly.

I have asked for interaction 4 times regarding the negotiations and they have yet to answer any questions in over a week. I will send a link shortly to the person wanting the name...mid xxxx...where they can purchase the name directly from me. Since afternic has gone ghost, I get to pocket the commission as I would not give the buyer a discount (they are familiar with afternic fees). In my mind the afternic team would have been better than the 'regular' godaddy brokers, but it seems not to be true. I had hoped the uni integration would bring some top talent to the game but it seems not.

So, poor pitiful me is going back to selling my own names like I have done for the last 20+ years. Actually, having had these less than stellar experiences with godaddy and afternic, I think I will start my own broker service.

We have to recognize that with the acquisition of the uni block of names, godaddy does not need us (so they seem to think) for the short term. They have plenty of names to 'drop' so income will be strong for a while to come. A reseller/broker solution does not seem to matter to them too much right now.

Additionally, since godaddy started their partial privacy, I've regged a couple of hundred names there (in addition to the 1-10 names I buy daily from auction) and planned to leave them all there. But since they are pulling this stunt with epik without letting me (and those with epik names in their system) know directly about their rejection, I will be moving those names to other registrars as time permits.

I hate bullies.

•••
So does this only effect future attempts at Afternic listings on Epik registered names and not current ones?

Lets call it what is is. Sabotage. GoDaddy is punishing domainers who do business with Epik.

While I believe Epik contributed to this occurrence, its the customers of Epik who are getting the punishment directly. Guess GoDaddy wants more names to sell on Epik platform when they could get a commish. Not a smart move more like an emotional reaction.

•••
I am not a fan of godaddy as godaddy couldnt even verify me which meant i lost my domain name portfolio at godaddy so the day i have time for godaddy isnt this century

Epij are decades ahead of godaddy

•••
https://www.epik.com/blog/afternic

The above article is very heavy on allegations and very light on evidence. The only "evidence" provided is a letter from GoDaddy expressing their decision of terminating relationship with Epik. The "Premium Promotion Agreement dated March 17, 2016" is an agreement between GoDaddy and domain marketplaces. So we are not privy to the contents. There is no way of knowing what Sections 11, 12, and 23 contain. Unless someone has a link to this agreement online or a digital copy. It is frustrating to read such an article filled with words but little to no facts to back them up.

Not supporting either side, just would like to have more details. However having your names available on all the major platforms is a plus if you do it right. The fact of the moment is that GoDaddy is much bigger than Epik. They have the luxury of choosing who they partner with. The good news for domainers is that we have options. Make your choices on best business decisions, not on emotion. Learn and embrace what works best for your enterprise. Build bridges. You never know when you might have to walk over them.

Epij are decades ahead of godaddy

Could you expound on that?

•••
The loss of Afternic is unfortunate but Epik's response:

Is in itself enough to justify the loss of Afternic and it discourages me from doing further business with the company.

The letter is loaded with irrational, inflammatory rhetoric and contains a great deal of conjecture and some flat out lies.

Epik continues to be its own worst enemy. The registrar is running itself into the ground with these regular public tantrums.

Please, @epik : Grow up. Exercise some self-control and conduct yourself with integrity and professionalism.

Last edited:
•••
What if GD simply does not want afternic portfolio to be available via this particular registrar, considering it to be some sort of a risk (stability, reputation, etc...; they know why, we can only guess). If so, then the lack of afternic fast transfer availability for current epik customers may be just a side effect then. We the sellers are thinking about one side. There is also another side - distribution of existing "for sale" stream.

Last edited:
•••
Back