NameSilo

GoDaddy Stupidity...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
B

Banned User

I had a weird instance this morning when I had a 3-way call to GoDaddy because a .com registered with them was not updating instantly as I had hoped.

We basically just updated the IP's to two name servers and..... after waiting a hour ...we had to call godaddy as we were doing a late night/ early morning server migration with a client of ours.

The first guy we spoke to said he had no idea .com/net was instantly updated and said that go daddy only sends updates twice daily to .com/net registry... so since I knew I was speaking with a Tier 1 egghead... I tried to coach him and asked him to contact his supervisor .... well even the department supervisor didn't know this.

So we hung up..... I decided to call back just to see if anyone knew anything about the updates and we reached a tech named John this time.... and John was very funny.... I told him that .com/net were now rapid update registries and he replied "No sir that's only your website if you change html or images its instant" and I was surprised that this guy was so uneducated about the current industry that he too had not a idea of what I was talking about and tried to reference dns and web design side by side.

Yet another reason I do not register domains with Registrars like GoDaddy...even Enom is better than GoDaddy but I still think Enom too has its issues with what they feel there role is as a registrar.

To think that people rely on GoDaddy for providing services for their company and clients is somewhat dumbfounded.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Way over their heads, mate. I've had a similar experiences with Verisign. You'd think registrars would teach their support people to at least understand how DNS and the domain system works.

To any registrars reading this, I'd love a good high paying job. ;)

•••
Indeed... I e-mailed [email protected] regarding it even though I have no domains with them.

I also would like to point out they now offer paypal and if you click legal agreements you will notice there is no payment agreement for paypal and in their registration agreement it makes no mention of paypal... thus if sleezeballs were to register domains and do chargebacks via paypal... legally GoDaddy would be SOL and could not delete,suspend or take action against the customers as they made no representation to such.

my 0.02 cents

•••
ah... another point to support my theory that godaddy has dumb customer support

•••
I got a response back from the Office of the President of GoDaddy and here was their response:

We are aware of the Rapid DNS service that has been implemented for
.COM/.NET domain names. This is something our development team will have to
completely research and test prior to us using such a service. We will
definitely continue to investigate this and continue to educate our customer
service representatives.

Kindest Regards,

Jackie Baumgartner
Office of the President
GODADDY.COM
14455 N. Hayden Road, Suite #226
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480-505-8828 - phone
480-505-8844 - fax

•••
Ain't customer support supposed to be more educated than us?

•••
Nah, they're paid next-to nothing, and the turnover rate in those departments (at least in the US) is extremely high...

•••
They probably get paid min wage and since its arizona.... well what can I say its arizona!!!

•••
whats the turnover rate?

-edit-
i mean.. what IS a turnover rate? im not sure what it means.

•••
To make it as simple as possible, high turn over means you can't keep employees on for whatever reason (they come and go quickly). Most companies strive for high retention, which is the opposite... good benefits, proper training = good employees = staying with company.

Hope that helps
Jennifer

•••
Go Daddy hires monkeys for domain support but professors for the other services where they earn real money, imho.

•••
It happens with many other registrars as well. If
you're the registrar, you have to give your employees
a good reason to stay on.

Plus majority of the customers who call in are
"intellectually challenged", to say the least.

You just have to be patient enough to deal with
them and accept the reality that technology just
isn't their forte; that you'd have to come up with
laymans terms or examples to better explain how
it works.

Trust me, I know the feeling. :D

•••
One major problem is that GoDaddy has clouded the line between customer support and sales. The first line of support all work off of commission so although most have the ability to answer basic questions, their hidden agenda is to sell you more services.
Because of the volume of business I do w/ GoDaddy, I was "assigned" an "Executive Account Manager", and can purchase and manage my domains via email. This has improved the level of support, but i am under no illusions- this is a product of volume and the incentive for my "manager" is commissions on services and renewals.

•••
wonder if anyone who works for godaddy is active on any forums....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back