Domain Empire

information GoDaddy Sold Steam.com for $390,560

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Steam.com was sold to valve? I think It could fetch more. Especially if Valve is the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
wow,
I remember a time when I used to constantly check the site to see whether the owner changed their mind about selling it:
upload_2021-6-29_18-42-20.png

It's amazing that it finally got sold

•••
The buyer is not Valve.

I guess, if Valve was interested, they would have bought the domain name by now.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Wow. I felt sure years ago that that name would end up with them. They're clearly not on the ball.

•••
I am amazed the massive company is not the buyer. That is a very reasonable price.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
As if they sold it for that. They're off their rockers.

•••
I'm a gamer and I can't tell you the amount of times I've typed in Steam.com as I always forget it's SteamPowered.com. I am shocked they're not the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Steam is a good name, if is Valve ,
i think Valve have made a good deal on this price.
China net giant Tencent spent millions dollars for its game platform to purchase the domain WeGame.com

•••
wow, 5x profit for buyer. Congrats! :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
Probably undersold, but $390k are $390k and our time on this planet is limited. Probably seller isn't a domainer (and doesn't own many domains), better $390k now than $1kk+ who knows when.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone whose played games on PC since the early 2000s knows Steam.

And if you tell me in the end Steam never got its domain because of some stingy manager...

OMG.

•••
I use Steam for play games, too bad if they do not own this jewel of domain.

•••
OMG - Really very great sale.

•••
Why assume this was an end-user sale?
It might very well be a re-seller who bought it when he got the chance and the price is pretty much at par with that.

•••
It's absurd that the giant behemoth Steam never decided to acquire it and instead still uses a long, weird & truly bad domain. They don't care, but the hundreds of thousands of users typing the wrong domain do.
Even I buy short domains for 20++ years. How the people at such giant company, that earns billions and billions, still do not understand that it's cheap change to protect their brand & their users? If many English users misspell / forget powered all the time, imagine their international audience..

•••
Why assume this was an end-user sale?
It might very well be a re-seller who bought it when he got the chance and the price is pretty much at par with that.
Indeed, and who knows, they might have been asking 20 million to steam (gaming), for years.

•••
Valve no need steam.com they used enough cash to put steampowered.com on number 1 position for "steam" keyword but still could be a lot of type-in traffic from steam.com.

•••
wow,
I remember a time when I used to constantly check the site to see whether the owner changed their mind about selling it:
Show attachment 194210

It's amazing that it finally got sold
Once I went to steam.com thinking it was owned by Valve I'm sure they loose a lot of traffic

•••
@King
that's the reason I initially visited it as well.

I don't think Valve is that desperate to get that traffic though. I mean, we are talking about Valve here. If there was some kind of a counter that showed how much they earn per second, that counter would break within a minute of counting lol.

They have such a strong hold in the market that even Epic -with all that aggressive marketing (free games, exclusive games, etc.)- haven't even put a dent in Valve's armour.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back