Domain Empire

information GoDaddy Sold Steam.com for $390,560

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@King
that's the reason I initially visited it as well.

I don't think Valve is that desperate to get that traffic though. I mean, we are talking about Valve here. If there was some kind of a counter that showed how much they earn per second, that counter would break within a minute of counting lol.

They have such a strong hold in the market that even Epic -with all that aggressive marketing (free games, exclusive games, etc.)- haven't even put a dent in Valve's armour.
At some stage you need to own your domain, it just means authority and serious business.
And its an investment that should last forever.
A company like steam that ends up not owning steam.com is lame imo.

•••
At some stage you need to own your domain, it just means authority and serious business.

...OR you are just so powerful that you don't care.

I can assure you, as an avid gamer myself of more than 30 years, Valve not owning Steam.com means absolutely nothing to me nor to any other gamer I know.

Domain names are certainly important but are definitely not everything.

•••

Steam is so ubiquitous in their industry--and so well-loved compared to their competition--that it matters little. Furthermore, Gabe Newell, President of Valve, has a history of playing hardball; he's not likely to fork over the dough for a domain if he feels he shouldn't have to. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they're refusing to buy it on principle.

•••
Steam is so ubiquitous in their industry--and so well-loved compared to their competition--that it matters little. Furthermore, Gabe Newell, President of Valve, has a history of playing hardball; he's not likely to fork over the dough for a domain if he feels he shouldn't have to. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they're refusing to buy it on principle.
I understand not needing the domain for marketing or traffic purposes, or not wanting to pay on principle.

But if you take altitude, you'll realize as an established business that means business, you need to own steam.com, even if that should be for goodwill/legacy purposes, and especially if all your business is done online.

Only thing Id understand is in the case of a rude seller asking for 20million, and even then Id try to go stealth and get the domain another way, for the sake of my business.

But hey?

•••
I suppose when you're a billionaire, you can afford to make some lousy business decisions with no justification beyond, "I felt like it," especially when you have a loyal following of customers that sees such behavior as admirable. I'm sure there's a PR element to it.

•••
As expected, Steam.com was purchased by a domain investor. It's currently for sale.

upload_2021-8-1_18-35-37.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back