Dynadot

GoDaddy sneaky lock on pushed domains!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Godaddy is the only registrar that places a 60 days lock after domain push, although there is an option you can selected which is "Opt out of 60 days lock after contacts update" but it turned out this option is sneaky and not what it sounds like.

Most domainers assume that the opt-out option is sufficient to leave the domain lock free after push, I contacted Godaddy support and told then that I received an email from Godaddy saying:
The domain ownership update is complete.
This applies to the following domain(s):

******.com

Important: The previous owner opted out of the 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock so you can move the domain(s) any time.

And I asked them why my domain is locked for 60 days although previous owner opted out of the 60 days lock.

After long chatting session the answer from Godaddy was that the option is for opting out of:
inter-registrar transfer lock
not
intra-registrar trasnfer lock

Here is what they said:
Yes, in the email it is mentioned, previous owner has opted out for inter-registrar 60 days lock which means you can transfer domain with in Godaddy.
If it was intra-registrar transfer opt out in that case 60days lock was not applicable

So in short the opt out will only enable the domain to be pushed to another Godaddy account, but not to another registrar!

Godaddy is the only registrar that I know that places lock on domains after push! Dynadot, Epik, Namesilo, Namcehap.. and many others do not do this!

@Joe Styler

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I avoid GoDaddy as much as possible. The only way to get the 14 day lock is to not change a single detail under the owner info. This is of course, not practical because an email will be sent to previous owner for confirmation when you decide to move it. There has been a time or two I changed only the email (with help of the seller confirming its ok to GD) and received the shorter lock period but that was a while ago.

Names I have bought off DAN registered at GD were automatically locked for 60 days because they change hands (owners) twice in a couple day period. I have to really want something to conduct business there (GD).

I would not say they are the only ones. Epik locked domains I bought off the marketplace. They say they will work with you should the domain sell but its a total lock. Not even a push without their help. Other registrars may have some version of this. Only one who does not lock if you buy from the expired list that I use frequently is NameSilo.Uniregistry allows immediate transfers out too.

Last edited:
•••
@karmaco marketplace lock is different story, I know that for example Dynadot place 30 days lock on domains bought from their marketplace, but they dont do that on pushed domains.. as far as I know Godaddy is the only one doing lock on pushed domains.

•••
@karmaco marketplace lock is different story, I know that for example Dynadot place 30 days lock on domains bought from their marketplace, but they dont do that on pushed domains.. as far as I know Godaddy is the only one doing lock on pushed domains.

Not only that, the Godaddy Push process, is worst process! burdensome, cumbersome, made worse say due to “ICANN 60 day policy”

everytime reference “Icann 60 day policy” hate more; antiquated 60 policy; harm liquidity more than keep them “safe” but prob know that;want keep de-facto monopoly, long as possible; dont care inconvenience to user; until enoug call out

Thanks
for the thread!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back