IT.COM

GoDaddy Hosting Issues (again)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
500 internal error

I've been a customer at Go Daddy for over a decade (10+ years), haven't needed support in over 7 years, 3 issues in the last 2 weeks, and now I'm being told that my hosting plan is old and I need to migrate to another server. So, I asked (Obviously), are you saying you haven't done updates or maint. on my server in over a decade? They assured me they have, however, the upsell of a new server with additional migration costs is the best solution, even though the traffic doesn't justify the resources they are upselling. He also stated that they don't offer any free migrations for loyal customers, regardless how long we have been doing business with them. I have a lot to think about now, so many options, inconveniences, etc.. Blah.

It doesn't appear that Go Daddy offers free migration/grandfathering for customers on old plans/servers.

Thanks again to those that notified me of this issue.

@Joe Styler - I didn't talk to Amy this time, it was using general hosting support. I'll try her again when I get back home. Hopefully, she has a better solution than the upsell I was pitched. They made it sound like old/loyal customers aren't a priority.

I love Go Daddy and would like to keep my business with them, however, it's hard not to calculate the last 2 weeks of constant issues into the equation.

Just frustrated, please don't take it personally.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Other hosts offer free migrations to them to get new customers.

•••
Update: 2 hours and 15 minutes later, server is back up and running. Premium Services at Go Daddy was much more helpful than standard support. We disabled everything and turned each one back on one by one to ensure it wasn't on my end (Which it apparently wasn't a WordPress issue, so ruled that out). It was then discovered that there was a huge spike in traffic/processes/queries that lasted a little over an hour. It's still not certain whether it was a DDOS attempt or a server glitch as a result to an instant traffic surge.

At the end of all this, it's apparent that I'll eventually need to upgrade to a newer server since I was advised again that the old 10+-year-old server I am on can't be upgraded anymore. So now I have to think about my options;

1. Wait until Go Daddy does a forced server migration, in which case they may migrate me free due to it being on their end (old outdated technology).
2. Wait until another issue occurs and be forced to pay for migration.
3. Pay for migration very soon.
4. Migrate somewhere else.

I would prefer to stay with Go Daddy. So that eliminates #4. I think I'll take a few deep breaths now that the issue is temporarily resolved and comb through my options again.

#BloodPressureGoingBackDownALittle ;)

Amy was a huge help Joe. Thanks again for putting me in contact with her.

•••
Haha chill Eric, i'm sure it'll all be fine! :xf.smile:
Is this for a personal website or Namepros?

•••
Haha chill Eric, i'm sure it'll all be fine! :xf.smile:
Is this for a personal website or Namepros?
Some of my personal/business sites that were bunched on the same server. ;)

•••
Sorry for the delay I have been slammed working in Europe at Domaining Europe which was a great conference and then over to Cologne for some work at the new GoDaddy Europe offices. We are working on helping the Aftermarket customers located outside the US and hope to have some things to help them in the Aftermarket. I am glad Amy was able to help you out she is very good. On the server migration they will move you eventually until they do the server should work for you. If it is going to stop working they won't keep customers on it. But that being said if the server can only be patched so many times before the operating system or other softwares on the server stop being supported by their creators then there are risks such as security risks or incompatibility issues that will make it necessary to move to newer hardware. I would ask Amy what the price would be to move the files and migrate everything it may be reasonable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back