IT.COM

GoDaddy Estimated Values - Are they useful

NameSilo
Watch

Jonathan MacDermid

Socially CorporateEstablished Member
Impact
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Godaddy estimated values for websites are in any way accurate?

For example, could you use a % of the Godaddy Estimated Value to promote selling the domains.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Until Godaddy actually gives you cash for your domains, even 10% of estimated value, their appraisals are as good as toilet paper ;)
Pricing the domains is not the problem, what we need is buyers not appraisals.

•••
It is important to realize the different way GoValue and Estibot "thinks". They don't for obvious reasons give their detailed methodology .

when you listen to the "boring" video
they very well explain that their tools is based on past sales

and "other tools" are based on keywords

•••
In my opinion you should always check GV on a name you are acquiring both to have it tell you other related domains that sold (but are not on NameBio), but also to give a second opinion, but you should never let the GV or Estibot be your main consideration on worth of a domain name. .

that the way use these tools and benefit from them

but your own estimate has to be the one you go for
no matter what they tell you

•••
Anyone know if there a way to bulk value our names -- for a portfolio of 350?

in the "boring" video he tells you to visit his booth in order to get a code for portfolio appraisals

is there a way to do so now ?

•••
i also searched for bulk tool but didn´t found one, maybe i can write a script for that

Thanks, keep us posted - that would be useful.

•••
yes to do it with the hand takes a lot of time, so i only find around 20-30 domains per day with a value of 1k-5k each, automated would be much better and easier

•••
in the "boring" video he tells you to visit his booth in order to get a code for portfolio appraisals

is there a way to do so now ?

I believe they did have such a code that they gave out at a conference (NamesCon last year I think?) to registrants, but that was a limited time thing to promote the introduction of GoValue. As far as I know it is not currently available, but if you, or anyone, finds that it is, I would be interested in knowing details. Thanks.

•••
One thing that I would point out to those who use GoValue estimates when talking to potential purchasers, the estimated values do vary significantly with time. I am not sure whether this is because they are constantly tweeking their algorithm, or if it is because of undue influence of new sales data added to the database. It is not unusual to find a domain name that is $400 one week become $1100 two weeks later, or vice versa. Estibot on the other hand seems (maybe too!) stable unless the actual exact name has a new sales record. I have checked a few names about a year ago and now, and all but one remained exactly the same value (and the other only changed slightly).

I agree with those who say that generally (the estimates) are too high, but there are also cases where they are too low, and as I pointed out from my analysis of NNNNN com sales and GV estimates, on average they were correct. By the way if anyone is doing similar analysis it is critical to check GoValue right after the sales announcements to make sure that the sales themselves don't influence the valuations.

•••
One thing that I would point out to those who use GoValue estimates when talking to potential purchasers, the estimated values do vary significantly with time. I am not sure whether this is because they are constantly tweeking their algorithm, or if it is because of undue influence of new sales data added to the database. It is not unusual to find a domain name that is $400 one week become $1100 two weeks later, or vice versa. Estibot on the other hand seems (maybe too!) stable unless the actual exact name has a new sales record. I have checked a few names about a year ago and now, and all but one remained exactly the same value (and the other only changed slightly).

I agree with those who say that generally (the estimates) are too high, but there are also cases where they are too low, and as I pointed out from my analysis of NNNNN com sales and GV estimates, on average they were correct. By the way if anyone is doing similar analysis it is critical to check GoValue right after the sales announcements to make sure that the sales themselves don't influence the valuations.

estibot is often very low

•••
I actually like the GoValue tool and use it on every domain after I get a price inquiry. I don’t always follow it but - put it this way - I will almost never sell a domain for less than it comes in on this appraisal. I suppose the tool doesn’t work for garbage domains but for decent to good ones it seems pretty accurate. It’s not as good with assessing great domains - it comes in low on those. It also doesn’t assess any added value the domain might have to a particular end user or based on some trend that it isn’t taking into account.

Saying it is worthless is to deny the comparables that the tool comes up with. At a minimum you may use some of these comparables to support your asking price to the inquirer.

Last edited:
•••
estibot is often very low

I agree. It seems to me that Estibot is very low in anything that is brandable and that is two or more words in particular. They also seem unfairly low to some of the major country extensions in the ones I have searched. Do you find the same?

With new extensions they do attempt to differentiate, but I think are too kind with some and too harsh with some.

•••
I agree. It seems to me that Estibot is very low in anything that is brandable and that is two or more words in particular. They also seem unfairly low to some of the major country extensions in the ones I have searched. Do you find the same?

With new extensions they do attempt to differentiate, but I think are too kind with some and too harsh with some.

in the video the speaker says
-as I understand it-

that "other" evaluation tools use keywords
and godaddy uses past sales

german keywords may not make sense to estibot
or english keywords with a .de do not make sense to estibot eventually

but estibot is questionable all over anyway

•••
I always think Estibot is wrong, worse than GoValue, they appraised this domain for $2.200!
BooksAnlineAustralia //com

•••
BooksOnlineAustralia //com Sorry.

•••
godady apraisal for me they already good job! because they have big data, so I use them :xf.grin: but to decide which price, I am not entirely depend from them, usually I add 10x or maybe x2, it depend on my guts and feeling:xf.grin:

•••
I do check once in a while. I also use estibot to get the search volume and cpc. Although I haven’t sold any based on their estimation, nothing related in terms of pricing.

•••
my godaddy value software is ready now works like charme

•••
I like the GD Appraisal Tool a lot and use it all the time. Some members saying things like it's as good as toilet paper is not valid but of course the values are sometimes far from accurate. A GD employee once told me GD sent a number of well known University math and stats experts to Arizona who spent a long time programming it at high cost. It's free compared to paying for an Estibot account is a bonus. I frequently compare Estibot and GD on same name and it seems more often than not I tend to agree more with GD, but there are some exceptions. It also appears Estibot isn't updated very often but GD is much more dynamic, one more bonus.

Last edited:
•••
for godaddy bulk check pls check this post

•••
I just appraised insurance.com on urlappraisal.net and it said it's value was 54.00. This really cheers me up because it also appraised all my domains at 54.00.

•••
LVN, welcome to NamePros.

•••
Until Godaddy actually gives you cash for your domains, even 10% of estimated value, their appraisals are as good as toilet paper ;)
Pricing the domains is not the problem, what we need is buyers not appraisals.
Agree with Kate 99% of the time, but GD Appraisals has a lot value for a few reasons other than just the valuation. Access to their private sales data is one of them.

•••
It is good to see what similar names have sold for, that is all IMO, there is no real estimate, prediction, valuation process that can put an actual price on a domain name. It all comes down to what the potential buyer is willing to pay for a name.

•••
Cool way to find unreported sales though, under the Comparable domains sold: heading on the appraisal tool.

Does anyone know anything more about the sales that GD shows there? Are they all unreported sales on the GD platform? Or do they include other venues- not clear as they do not state venue or date.

•••
Does anyone know anything more about the sales that GD shows there? Are they all unreported sales on the GD platform? Or do they include other venues- not clear as they do not state venue or date.
Believe it was answered earlier...

when you listen to the "boring" video
they very well explain that their tools is based on past sales

and "other tools" are based on keywords
"they very well explain that their tools is based on past sales

and "other tools" are based on keywords"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back