Dynadot

GoDaddy Estimated Values - Are they useful

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jonathan MacDermid

Socially CorporateEstablished Member
Impact
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Godaddy estimated values for websites are in any way accurate?

For example, could you use a % of the Godaddy Estimated Value to promote selling the domains.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddy believes they are.

Yes, you could.

•••
GoDaddy believes they are.

Yes, you could.
Thanks for the reply.

I hope GoDaddy are correct because they value my current portfolio at over $16,000 and to I would be happy if I end up with a quarter of that :)

•••
•••
I’ll certainly give it a watch. Thank you again.

•••
I think it is swell of godaddy to let us use it as much as we want.

Alas, just like I make way more "not real" money playing video games than in real life, this price tool is the same.

There's also a 4L.com that forwards to this godaddy page but I forget what it is...

This is the link for those that are wondering...

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal

Last edited:
•••
I think it is swell of godaddy to let us use it as much as we want.

Alas, just like I make way more "not real" money playing video games than in real life, this price tool is the same.

There's also a 4L.com that forwards to this godaddy page but I forget what it is...

Yes I've been reading more and more comments just like this about it. Seems like it can identify which domains may have more than junk value but nobody is putting any value in the actual $ amounts.

Shame really, I thought it supported the fact I had made good investment decisions.

•••
Just for fun you should see what the sedo.com and estibot.com price estimators give you!

•••
I just did and it is night and day the difference between them.

•••
Does anyone know if the Godaddy estimated values for websites are in any way accurate?
Not at all... Don't trust in any "estimated values" from any source, they are Not accurate.
The real value of a domain name is the one the Owner of the domain gives it, you decide for how much money you want to sell your domain, if the buyer don't agree its their problem not yours...

•••
Since Godaddy is a brand that is getting known to the general population (tv commercials)
I use their appraisial on my sales page...

•••
I think that @briguy makes a good point. Even if you feel that GoValue has serious limitations, GoDaddy are a widely known brand, and GoValue will therefore get more acceptance than Estibot among the general population for this reason.

For better or worse, I can see a situation where it will become hard to sell domains with low GoValue estimates, and easier to get better prices for those with generous valuations. Their price may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think that the GoValue tool is already good enough to be worthwhile, and them having access to the huge database of Afternic sales data is a definite advantage. I think if we are asking for a price that is significantly less than the GoValue valuation it is part of the information base (along with comparable sales data) that in some cases may be helpful in selling the domain name.

In my opinion the most important thing GoValue need to improve is to use data to weight different new gTLD extensions according to how well they work with the domain. Currently in most cases they treat them as equal, or almost so. This should be easy to do. Two words that are frequently found together on the internet or books clearly should be more valuable than two that are not.

•••
Weird how this pulls in related sale values - I found some that are not reported elsewhere, must be GD sales.

Also if you search for an Afternic listed domain on GD it seems to show this estimated value IF it is greater than the listing price on Afternic, but not if it is less. Is that correct?

•••
I must be rich then. woohoo I better start eating lobsters.

Last edited:
•••
Also if you search for an Afternic listed domain on GD it seems to show this estimated value IF it is greater than the listing price on Afternic, but not if it is less. Is that correct?

I might be misunderstanding what you are asking, but for me even when it is listed for less than GD GoValue the Afternic listed price still shows up on GoValue with a link to add to the GD cart. If someone wants to check it one of mine that this is for is AdvantageHappy.com - if you search that on GoValue it also shows that I have it for sale. This exposure on GoValue may be one of the more useful places of being on the Afternic network in my opinion.

•••
i don´t believe that the godaddy price is right, i bought 30 domains which are worth 1-2k per domain. but still hope that they will sell.

•••
Yes, it is useful.
It can only help you
You have to choose yourself with experience.

•••
its extremely good that tool

has no idea about the value of .de domains

but for .com
if it shows is below $1K USD
I would think twice about buying the domain

as the average .com domain is evaluated $1100 to $1400 USD

Last edited:
•••
I might be misunderstanding what you are asking, but for me even when it is listed for less than GD GoValue the Afternic listed price still shows up on GoValue with a link to add to the GD cart. If someone wants to check it one of mine that this is for is AdvantageHappy.com - if you search that on GoValue it also shows that I have it for sale. This exposure on GoValue may be one of the more useful places of being on the Afternic network in my opinion.

Hi you are right that the Appraisal tool shows a link to the Afternic listed domain.

What I meant was, if you go to Godaddy.com (homepage, not the appraisal page) and search for a domain that has been listed on Afternic, you see it there in the Godaddy results and afaik IF the sale price is lower than the valuation, then the valuation/appraisal is shown too:

https://uk.godaddy.com/dpp/find?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=AdvantageHappy.com

I'd like to know for a fact that it does not show appraisals when they appraisal is lower than the price the seller has set - others were complaining before about the appraisals pushing down what buyers want to pay.

Cool way to find unreported sales though, under the Comparable domains sold: heading on the appraisal tool.

Last edited:
•••
i don´t believe that the godaddy price is right, i bought 30 domains which are worth 1-2k per domain. but still hope that they will sell.

Any automated system, or human for that matter, can and often are very wrong. Domain name valuation is not an exact science. They probably do better with things like short letters, short numbers and single word since these are easier to value, but still not at all easy! If interested, I recently analyzed how well GoValue does with NNNNN .com domain names all sold at a single venue. The short answer is for NNNNN.com on average GoValue does really well, but only slightly better than random in predicting which number sequences will go for more or less.

https://agreatnameforyou.blogspot.com/2018/08/nnnnn-domain-names.html

GoValue tend to place most .com in the $1k range, so it definitely does not mean that you can (necessarily) get the GoDaddy price! But you might get more, but more likely less, or not sell at all.

Brandables are of course even harder and probably automated are almost worthless for brandables imho.

One big limitation of GoValue is in new extensions. They treat all (almost all) new extensions equally. For example they estimate the worth of delicious(.)pizza and delicious(.) tax both at $602! Delicious pizza is a great word that could command much more than that in my opinion, but I would not pay (its high) registration fee for the tax extension with that word. Whenever you get GV ngTLD domain estimate always ask yourself whether the name and extension match. If so it may be worth more, but if not it may well be worthless.

It is important to realize the different way GoValue and Estibot "thinks". They don't for obvious reasons give their detailed methodology but it is obvious after looking at thousands of estimates that for GoValue they place most emphasis on prior big sales in any extension. For example, if widgetty sold for $15,000 in .net, they would say it is worth more than $25,000 in com and a very good price, probably in thousands, on other extensions, taking into account the average selling price for the different country code extensions. Estibot take a very different approach, where it seems they mainly value how many different extensions widgetty has already been registered in and how often it is searched and how often and for what price per click the term is used on Google Adsense (and perhaps other online advertisers).

In my opinion you should always check GV on a name you are acquiring both to have it tell you other related domains that sold (but are not on NameBio), but also to give a second opinion, but you should never let the GV or Estibot be your main consideration on worth of a domain name. Another reason to always know it is that increasingly some end users will know about the valuation system and will have looked it up for domains you are selling. Finally, remember that GV estimates go up and down a lot - easily 2x higher or lower a week later. You should sample several times and view it as a range.

ps I have finished but not yet released an analysis of GV accuracy for .co domain names - hope to do final refinements and release tomorrow and will post on NPs.

•••
I found a domain I had listed at $300 was shown with an appraisal of $1500. So I put the price up to a bit below that.

•••
I found a domain I had listed at $300 was shown with an appraisal of $1500. So I put the price up to a bit below that.

While there are many different views to pricing of domain names (or even whether to have a BIN!), I would not automatically make the price always just below GoValue. As indicated in my long post above, automated may be high or low by a lot. Now if both Estibot and GoValue were consistent, and if NameBio showed a similar price on close comparators, then I would use that price.

On NameBio you can readily find the following that should influence pricing in my opinion:
  • Has the exact name sold? If so that price in closely related extensions can be helpful. e.g. if it sold in .org and .net for low $$$$ then i would price the .com some factor above that.
  • If it is a two word name, look at the mean and median prices on NameBio for domains that start with the first word and end with the second word as guides.
  • But most important is to try to find close comparators.
  • Also look at whether the niche is going up or down. Like decade old prices on DVD are probably not very helpful, but neither would probably decade old genetic niche prices for current valuation.
Also, ask trusted friends with expertise in domain names to suggest a price range. Price also will depend on how desperate you are for a sale (not all will agree). If renewal is coming up and you are price strapped and you have tried unsuccessfully to sell the domain for three years, then probably accepting a more modest price makes sense imho.

This is obviously not a full list on the huge topic of pricing correctly - Domain Name Academy haw a whole section on it. My main point is look at GoValue but never as your only criteria. Best wishes with your domain names!

•••
Anyone know if there a way to bulk value our names -- for a portfolio of 350?

•••
In my opinion it's a big fat waste of time. Other than @briguy's point, I find it completely useless and inflated.

•••
Anyone know if there a way to bulk value our names -- for a portfolio of 350?
i also searched for bulk tool but didn´t found one, maybe i can write a script for that

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back