Dynadot

registrars GoDaddy Domain Name Expiry Changes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just received this email,

Good morning,

We are making a change to our domain name expiry process and wanted to give you enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. GoDaddy is changing the domain renewal timeline from 42 to 30 days for most domains. Based on our research, less than 1% of our customers renew after 30 days.

Starting Dec 4, the following changes will happen to expired domain names:
* After Day 5 of expiration, DNS, email, hosting, redirecting and any other DNS-dependent services will be interrupted and stop working.
* After Day 30 of expiration, domain names are no longer able to be renewed or transferred away.

We wanted to give a heads -up so you have enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. As always please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Thanks,

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure what else to say except it is not possible now it has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to do it and that we have over time continued to improve the auctions fulfillment and are continually working on doing so. I never said we won't or do not want to. I said we have been and will continue to do so but we do not control other companies and at this time some of the fulfillment is outside our control and we will continue to work on improving the fulfillment despite that as we have been.

But Joe it does have something with wanting doesn't it? I mean you are GoDaddy the other registrars sending you expiry inventory are nobody compared to GoDaddy. To those outside the domain bubble a lot of them think GoDaddy = Domain Names.

You should be able to impose your will on them, either adapt to our policy or keep your inventory.

You think if there was some search engine endeavor being headed by Google, they would be like before we do something let's make sure Bing and Duck Duck Go are ok with it?

Because it's your customers that are potentially getting the run around, I don't use domain.com or any of their related umbrella registrar companies, so why do I care what they do? I do business with and generate business for GoDaddy. That should be GoDaddy's number one priority their actual customers.

Domain.com trying to dictate the pace to GoDaddy, GoDaddy should have one reply:

“A lion doesn't concern itself with the opinion of sheep.”

•••
Last edited:
•••
Something which has been completely been forgotten with all this discussion about ownership after a domain has been won at auction. THE LEGAL OWNER OF ANY DOMAIN HAS BEEN STRIPPED OF 12 DAYS (from 42-30) OF RENEWING/TRANSFERING EVERY DOMAIN THEY OWN. So all these tears about GoDaddy being a Customer Driven Company, and they try to do the best for their customers, FALLS ON DEAF EARS :) And they still have all these problems with ownership??? It's a disgrace! They should scrap all non-GoDaddy expiring auctions immediately, and get 1 contract for all Registrars participating in these auctions. Would be a good place to start looking for improvements.

Last edited:
•••
Something which has been completely been forgotten with all this discussion about ownership after a domain has been won at auction. THE LEGAL OWNER OF ANY DOMAIN HAS BEEN STRIPPED OF 12 DAYS (from 42-30) OF RENEWING/TRANSFERING EVERY DOMAIN THEY OWN. So all these tears about GoDaddy being a Customer Driven Company, and they try to do the best for their customers, FALLS ON DEAF EARS :) And they still have all these problems with ownership??? It's a disgrace! They should scrap all non-GoDaddy expiring auctions immediately, and get 1 contract for all Registrars participating in these auctions. Would be a good place to start looking for improvements.

That's a good point about universal auction policy, make it easier for everyone doing business over there.

•••
It’s all about the Benjamin’s, back in the day auctions were going for $11 to a few hundred, exceptional names thousands...
Now subpar hundreds, decent thousands, and good ones 6 figures...

Anyone remember the gradient.com expiry auction ending at $125k, these are serious dollars at play.

Examiner.com now renewed to 2021, go figure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back