IT.COM

registrars GoDaddy Domain Name Expiry Changes

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I just received this email,

Good morning,

We are making a change to our domain name expiry process and wanted to give you enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. GoDaddy is changing the domain renewal timeline from 42 to 30 days for most domains. Based on our research, less than 1% of our customers renew after 30 days.

Starting Dec 4, the following changes will happen to expired domain names:
* After Day 5 of expiration, DNS, email, hosting, redirecting and any other DNS-dependent services will be interrupted and stop working.
* After Day 30 of expiration, domain names are no longer able to be renewed or transferred away.

We wanted to give a heads -up so you have enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. As always please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Thanks,

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So domain owners can no longer renew domains after an auction has completed?

Good news for GD auctions buyers. But terrible news for Jason Newby.
Is he still at it, I know he was doing that 2 years ago, he had about 20K domains, thought he would have moved them all out by now, Learned to just avoid his domains.

•••
Is he still at it, I know he was doing that 2 years ago, he had about 20K domains, thought he would have moved them all out by now, Learned to just avoid his domains.
He is bidding aggressively on domains in re-seller venue auctions seemingly every day, so I don't think he's currently affected by any prior bad dealings with AD. Besides with a portfolio of that size it would be relatively easy to bounce back from it.

•••
•••
Those of you who posted above in favor of or that believe in getting free appraisals by not renewing should look in the mirror. Ask yourself if it is fair to offer something for sale, (based on rules) then refuse to sell it? It simply isn’t ethical at all. Renew the name or lose it. Don’t over extend your speculation with more names that you can handle.

Money problems are never income problems, they are SPENDING problems.

Taking back something that is for sale at auction, doesn’t happen in the real auction world. Period. Sorry.

English non reserve auction live auctions operate correctly, unlike some digital fake auctions.

Title (your ownership) is lost once something is on the auction block. It’s an ancient system that works.

The digital online system when people game and corrupt the system with multiple id’s, shill bidding, non transparency, collusion, partnering to reduce competition, group bidding, chandeliering ( rare), fake proxy bidders, pass names among themselves to inflate perceived value, API collusion, etc. its all wrong. Those who advocate such behavior are corrupt.

Digital online faceless, nameless “auctions” without “auction licensing or auctioneers” with Terms that even state they are not governed by traditional terms are exploited from all fronts. The entire system needs to be cleaned up.

•••
Those of you who posted above in favor of or that believe in getting free appraisals by not renewing should look in the mirror. Ask yourself if it is fair to offer something for sale, (based on rules) then refuse to sell it? It simply isn’t ethical at all. Renew the name or lose it. Don’t over extend your speculation with more names that you can handle.

Well, if you want to talk what is fair and ethical, is it fair and ethical that someone created a domain 15-20 years ago to let it expire for whatever reason (including death), and a registrar gets to keep 100% of any expired sale?

The domain is supposed to expire, delete, then come available. That is the process ICANN designed. These registrars have just interjected themselves in the process as middlemen when it comes to auctioning expired domains. In my view it is far more "ethical" if the registrars gave the owner a fair % of the sale.

Taking back something that is for sale at auction, doesn’t happen in the real auction world. Period. Sorry.

Title (your ownership) is lost once something is on the auction block. It’s an ancient system that works.

Yeah, and the new system timetable will not change that. Registrants have lost 12+ days to renew a domain, yet the auction will still start on day 26. That means they still have 4-5 days after the auction starts to renew the domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I was intending to move my remaining GoDaddy names out or sell off. As far as the auctions there should be more transparency and the auctions should happen after the previous owner can no longer change their mind. But we know that’s not going to happen, Also don’t like how we pay high prices for some dropping name and don’t even get the full year we bought,

It just happened. Existing registrants now only get 30 days to renew their domains instead of the previous 42.

•••
someone created a domain 15-20 years ago to let it expire for whatever reason (including death), and a registrar gets to keep 100% of any expired sale?

The domain is supposed to expire, delete, then come available. That is the process ICANN designed. These registrars have just interjected themselves in the process as middlemen when it comes to auctioning expired domains. In my view it is far more "ethical" if the registrars gave the owner a fair % of the sale.

Well, to your first point that's a fringe benefit I guess of the registry business and lack of doing any estate planning by the registrant, not having heirs. I am sure that is a very small percentage of expired names. It should be allowed to expire and delete, then drop catching services compete.

To the second point, 100% agreed. Expired, Dropped and caught in the free market. That was my original thing I posted, there are several threads not sure which one, perhaps what I stated was unclear. At Pending delete, it should be up for sale- not before that. There are 5 days to auction, buy and sell. Done. Right? Why isn't it handled that way? I am not sure why the registrars/registries should have any extended or special rights on expired names- they all should simply drop and then be caught by the drop catch system.

Yeah, and the new system timetable will not change that. Registrants have lost 12+ days to renew a domain, yet the auction will still start on day 26. That means they still have 4-5 days after the auction starts to renew the domain.

What? So the the names are not free and clear at auction start? So how is the problem being fixed? It's a fake auction for 4-5 days if what you are saying is new system. My brain hurts. lol.

•••
It just happened. Existing registrants now only get 30 days to renew their domains instead of the previous 42.
They can still change their mind the first 4 days of the auction so while improved it is not a sure thing— just like before. The only positive for bidders is they won’t have to wonder if a refund is coming when they pay.

•••
They can still change their mind the first 4 days of the auction so while improved it is not a sure thing— just like before. The only positive for bidders is they won’t have to wonder if a refund is coming when they pay.

Yeah. I realize that. But then who ever bids on a domain in the first five days of an auction? Very few. But I agree with the sentiment. You say "the only positive for bidders" as if it's a small thing. This was exactly what GoDaddy wanted to achieve. Registrants clawing back their domains after the auction is over. That's a huge improvement.

•••
Hi all
i just noticed that there is a massive surge in the number of whois lookup on one of my domains registered with Godaddy. From the beginning of this month, i only had 6 searches on this particular domain till yesterday which is normal. But today alone, i ve had 97 look-ups so far. Is this normal for a name thats not new and can this be relied on? or is it possible Bots maybe responsible? Thanks

•••
So you snatch others property before time and try to take profit and if you don't get profit you let it expire.
bad game tactics.
Also hiding the bidders is an issue with godaddy from the very first day.

•••
Yeah. I realize that. But then who ever bids on a domain in the first five days of an auction? Very few. But I agree with the sentiment. You say "the only positive for bidders" as if it's a small thing. This was exactly what GoDaddy wanted to achieve. Registrants clawing back their domains after the auction is over. That's a huge improvement.
It's an improvement for byers in the aftermarketauction, but for tiny registrants every day longer you have you can renew or transfer out is a day.
I HAVE A QUESTION THOUGH about the changement on 4th of december =>
How much will it be to renew within the new 30 day period after the domains expire (in the new regulation)? A year ago, you had till day 12 or 18 to renew at normal pricing (or with a discount if you were member of the GDDDCClub), and afterwards, so after day 12 or 18 if you wanted to renew at godaddy you had to pay a godaddy-fee of 70 or $80 extra (that was as much as the 30 day redemption fee after day 42 or 45). (I don't know if that system was still the case in 2017 also, because I didn't buy much). Or I bought at forums and didn't renew or transferred out.
ALSO
I presume in the new system the transfer until day 30 costs as much as the registrar where you transfer to (in the new system) charges. Like it has been before. Only we get 12 days less Is that correct ?

Last edited:
•••
Yep. I think that is correct. It's just the back-end which has changed. Minus 12 days. AFAIK, everything before 30 days remains the same as before. I haven't seen anywhere, that they've changed anything in those firs 30 days after expiry.

You could even argue that, what's the difference between 25 and 30 days? Not much. So if they'd made it 25 days instead of 30, then all auction bids would be bidding on domains which cannot be renewed/transferred. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
So how and when exactly does this new GD auction system kick in? I bought a name today (December 5th) after the auction (no bids) as it hit the Closeouts. In my "Won" account, this is still showing as only available into my domain account on December 13th.

That's 8 days from now and sounds like the old timeline, with the original registrant being given lots of time to renew. I was hoping / expecting that won names would now be going into my GD account immediately.

•••
with the original registrant being given lots of time to renew

everything is the same, except registrants can't renew after 30 days. So it's yours as of the 4th of Dec when this new policy kicked in.

•••
Well, that's what I thought @DomainVP . Except the domain is not in my GD account, and my auction account is still showing I won't get this domain until December 13th. So at this point I'm not entirely sure what actually changed with the GD expired auction process...

•••
what actually changed with the GD expired auction process

The registrant cannot renew.

The auction goes through the same motions, but the owner of the domain cannot renew or transfer out.

So you are just waiting for your domain to enter your account.

•••
So you are just waiting for your domain to enter your account.

Ohhh, thank you for that info. I had misunderstood the new process, and thought that the domain moved into the winner's account at the time of winning a name. That's OK, I can wait...

•••
So how and when exactly does this new GD auction system kick in? I bought a name today (December 5th) after the auction (no bids) as it hit the Closeouts. In my "Won" account, this is still showing as only available into my domain account on December 13th.

That's 8 days from now and sounds like the old timeline, with the original registrant being given lots of time to renew. I was hoping / expecting that won names would now be going into my GD account immediately.

@Paul Nicks

•••
•••

Hi @ValleyRock and @canswift

We completed the release of these changes on 12/5, late in the afternoon. Any domain bid on after that point will be subject to the new expiry lifecycle.

One thing that we were not able to release is the immediate movement of a domain into your account after purchase. We had an issue with that part and need to fix before trying to roll it again. So, if you bid on a name after 12/5 then that name will no longer be able to be renewed by the original registrant, but it still has to wait until day 42 to wind up in your account. I apologize for the wait, but we are currently working on getting the instant delivery up and running.

•••
@Paul Nicks

Hi Paul,
I just got a disturbing email on an auction I won on Dec 2nd, saying the domain I won was Renewed/Transferred today on day 41 and that I will be receiving a refund.

How is that possible if after the Dec 4th that was no longer allowed?
I thought after the 30 day mark now it was no longer possible to transfer an expired domain?
I thought once the auction is now over and I pay for the domain it is mine.
Can you look into this for me? The domain is autonomousgo.com
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
@Paul Nicks

Hi Paul,
I just got a disturbing email on an auction I won on Dec 2nd, saying the domain I won was Renewed/Transferred today on day 41 and that I will be receiving a refund.

How is that possible if after the Dec 4th that was no longer allowed?
I thought after the 30 day mark now it was no longer possible to transfer an expired domain?
I thought once the auction is now over and I pay for the domain it is mine.
Can you look into this for me? The domain is autonomousgo.com
Thanks

Because you won the domain on the 2nd, which is 2 days before the effective date of the 4th...

•••
So just for clarity's sake .. domains won on Dec 5th or before can still be renewed for 7 days after auction ending (42 - 35 = 7). Although any domain won on the 6th or later are now ours (we just have to wait)?

For the record .. I'm totally fine with people being able to renew even up until the day before auction. It is their domain after all. I just didn't like bidding on a domain that theoretically could still belong to someone else. People complaining about wanting the full 10 days of auction to be nonrenewable (from day 25) really don't understand how much we've actually gained from this change .. that final day is the only day that matters in an auction. It is a big deal to get the domains nonrenewable at auction time .. anything beyond that is just gravy.

It also would be great if the transfer were instant .. but again .. that's just extra .. what matters the most by far is that we are ASSURED of receiving the domains.

@Paul Nicks ..
1- Does this policy extend to expired non-GoDaddy names (from other affiliated registrars) going through the GD expired auctions platform?

•••
So just for clarity's sake .. domains won on Dec 5th or before can still be renewed for 7 days after auction ending (42 - 35 = 7). Although any domain won on the 6th or later are now ours (we just have to wait)?

For the record .. I'm totally fine with people being able to renew even up until the day before auction. It is their domain after all. I just didn't like bidding on a domain that theoretically could still belong to someone else. People complaining about wanting the full 10 days of auction to be nonrenewable (from day 25) really don't understand how much we've actually gained from this change .. that final day is the only day that matters in an auction. It is a big deal to get the domains nonrenewable at auction time .. anything beyond that is just gravy.

It also would be great if the transfer were instant .. but again .. that's just extra .. what matters the most by far is that we are ASSURED of receiving the domains.

@Paul Nicks ..
1- Does this policy extend to expired non-GoDaddy names (from other affiliated registrars) going through the GD expired auctions platform?

The trigger to move to a holding account is a bid. So, in theory, if a bid was placed on 12/3 and no other bids were placed until the auction were won, it could still be redeemed up to day 42 since no new bids occurred after we rolled out on 12/5. I think it's a pretty edge case where an auction is won after 12/5 with all bids happening prior to 12/5 but I suppose that is a possibility for a few more days.

For our partner registrars, we can't control their expiry timelines, so there still exists the possibility of redemption on that inventory.

•••
Back