IT.COM

GoDaddy Domain Buy Service

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

anantj

Top Member
Impact
I've just received an offer for one of my domains (1 word dictionary word) through something called "Godaddy's Domain Buy Service".

I have no idea about this service and don't know how it works. Does anyone here have any experience and how to proceed with working through this offer? Presumably, this is a brokerage service or something and the buyer will be anonymous (from my POV) so I can't really research and present a qualified offer/counter offer (If applicable).

Any tips or advice?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just last week, I sold a name through GoDaddy Buy. The buyer paid the commission + GoDaady fee.

GoDaddy sent payment to my PayPal within 48 hours. I was pleased with the transaction.

When the offer was made, I called GoDaddy and they sent me a link to accept it.

•••
Is it a one time offer or is it negotiated? Did you accept the initial offer or was there negotiation?

I believe this service assigns a broker to the buyer.

Thank for helping me understand this.

•••
In this case, the buyer and I communicated and agreed on a price first. She decided to use a GoDaddy broker, which made little sense to me because in addition to the broker fee she had to pay the commission.

I paid nothing and got my full price. No deduction at all. She felt more comfortable that way because she had dealt with GoDaddy before and she knew little about domain push or transfer.

Yes, you can negotiate the price, unless you have placed a price tag on it already.

•••
Is it a one time offer or is it negotiated? Did you accept the initial offer or was there negotiation?

I believe this service assigns a broker to the buyer.

Thank for helping me understand this.

You can negotiate. But after you'll send your counter-offer you will probably get an email saying that the initial offer is buyer's maximum offer, do not reply to that email.. wait for up to 48 hours and you'll get another email, then go from there. The max offer email is probably automated. Good luck.

•••
Presumably, this is a brokerage service or something and the buyer will be anonymous (from my POV) so I can't really research and present a qualified offer/counter offer (If applicable).

Any tips or advice?

Last domain I sold through GD Buy Service - a .com - I found out who was probably wanting it by seeing who might've regged any other extensions of it. Turned out someone had regged the .net a couple days previously, and I found the person's .net info available through domainiq.com

•••
You can negotiate. But after you'll send your counter-offer you will probably get an email saying that the initial offer is buyer's maximum offer, do not reply to that email.. wait for up to 48 hours and you'll get another email, then go from there. The max offer email is probably automated. Good luck.

Thank you for the tip. this is good to know!

•••
Last domain I sold through GD Buy Service - a .com - I found out who was probably wanting it by seeing who might've regged any other extensions of it. Turned out someone had regged the .net a couple days previously, and I found the person's .net info available through domainiq.com

That's a great tactic. Did it result in a successful deal?

•••
That's a great tactic. Did it result in a successful deal?

It did, with no real help on my part. Their initial offer was 1,000.00, which I didn't reply to, but I didn't reply that I was no longer interested in selling it - it wasn't up for sale at the time. A few days later they increased it to 2,000.00 through GD Buy Services, which I accepted. It was an okay enough 'movie talk' type domain, and I found out through their .net info that the person was involved in something somewhat similar for TV, working for a small company in LA. Seemed like a project he was wanting to do/try. So I figured he'd go higher than 1,000.00, and let him decide just how badly him wanted it. He might've gone more, but I was happy enough with 2,000.00 for a reg fee name that wasn't a year old yet. Domain name still isn't being used when I last checked, after a couple years.

Actually, just checked again. It's back available for hand reg.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It did, with no real help on my part. Their initial offer was 1,000.00, which I didn't reply to, but I didn't reply that I was no longer interested in selling it - it wasn't up for sale at the time. A few days later they increased it to 2,000.00 through GD Buy Services, which I accepted. It was an okay enough 'movie talk' type domain, and I found out through their .net info that the person was involved in something somewhat similar for TV, working for a small company in LA. Seemed like a project he was wanting to do/try. So I figured he'd go higher than 1,000.00, and let him decide just how badly him wanted it. He might've gone more, but I was happy enough with 2,000.00 for a reg fee name that wasn't a year old yet. Domain name still isn't being used when I last checked, after a couple years.

Actually, just checked again. It's back available for hand reg.
What a waste of money by the buyer lol...

•••
and you aren't regging it?

I'm thinking about it. It was meant for a possible project I was thinking to do, which I've put on the backburner for the next long while. I have another domain name registered that would serve - a broader name that covers more of the entertainment industry than just movies - which is one reason why I sold the domain name when GD Buy Service contacted me.

What a waste of money by the buyer lol...

I think it was Adam Dicker who said on one of the Domain Sherpa shows that he backordered domain names he sold, just in case they came available again. I think he said he sold the same domain to the same guy 2-3 different times.

•••
Just noting that I've been having a heck of a time getting paid for a name that came in from their "Buy" service. I accepted the offer and GoDaddy received the name on January 17th.

Still waiting on payment. I have 2 contacts there; my GoDaddy account rep and the actual broker who handled the transaction. Both have been spotty with communication and just keep giving me excuses about the people in accounting doing something wrong.

After silence from them after the registrar transfer, I checked in with my rep on the 21st and was assured I should have the funds by the 24th. Now it's just day after day of delays.

Just sharing the experience should this be "a thing" there. IMHO, I'd be leery to accept an offer through them unless you have a very good and reliable contact there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back