Dynadot

discuss GoDaddy.com is up for sale!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Picorio

Established Member
Impact
While searching online, I recently found out that the domain name GoDaddy.com is up for sale at Afternic.com.
The seller is asking 8 figures for such domain. The exact price tag is $49,999,999.

The question here is: is this a fake sale or what? Isn't this name owned by GoDaddy? If not, can the most successful domain name register company in the world - GODADDY- afford to buy this PREMIUM domain? Isn't it a trademark? Is there any legal issues to worry about if it's purchased by someone not related to the domain register giant?

Note:
According to Estibot, the terms Go Daddy has 450,000 exact monthly searches!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How would you like that to work, exactly?

Sedo does it like this

Dear Raymond,

Thank you for listing new domain names at our marketplace!

To start selling and parking your domains, you will need to verify the ownership of your domains.

We kindly ask you to enter the following personal Ownership Verification ID into the TXT- or CNAME-record field of the DNS settings of your domains in your registrar account:

0597820be8325ccfb214x944086a505463c91xx8

For a detailed description of this fast domain self-verification process, please click here.

Alternatively, you can use the DNS-Verification method by forwarding the DNS Servers of the domains to NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM and NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM to verify your ownership. Learn more about Domain Parking here.

In case you cannot use one of these fast owner verification methods, please remove the Privacy Protection of your domains in your registrar account, so that the registrant information is visible via a WHOIS search. Then inform us for a manual ownership verification. (Please note that this option might not always be available, due to the data privacy rules of your registrar or in case a certain TLD does not support a WHOIS query; e.g. the TLD .to)

If you are not able to use any of the owner verification methods listed above or you have further questions regarding the owner verification process, please contact us at [email protected]. Please add your login name and the domains in question in your email.

Important: your domains will be deleted from your Sedo account after 10 days in case you do not use any of these options to verify the ownership of your domains.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

List of domains that need to be verified:

xx.tv
Best Regards,

Your Sedo Team

Last edited:
•••
That verifies that someone has access to the DNS records for that name in the assigned nameservers. It does not verify ownership of the domain name.

•••
That verifies that someone has access to the DNS records for that name in the assigned nameservers. It does not verify ownership of the domain name.

Perhaps not completely.
Though having access to the registrant email address and clicking the link/answering when the verification is active is somewhat more acceptable for domain ownership verification.
Is it not legally enough ?

Last edited:
•••
My GD rep replied this when I told him about the thread:

"
Tom

That is a great deal. Godaddy.com for $50k

Grab it

LOL

Have a great weekend"

I don't think they are overly concerned. LOL

•••
Afternic doesn't ask you for verification unless there is a conflict between two of their users' claims. So most probably it would be a fake advertisement. Otherwise it would just be a look-alike domain.

They are not going to sell their domain at that price range. That domain is priceless. At least, that is what they think. Trust me, I checked it in GoValue, which is their own domain appraisal tool and this is what they said.

"Sorry, we are unable to provide a result for the domain name you provided."

•••
Someone should just hit the BIN

•••
Sedo does it like this
Alternatively, you can use the DNS-Verification method by forwarding the DNS Servers of the domains to NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM and NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM to verify your ownership.
And this is just another automated E-Mail sent out. When I park a domain with Sedo, Nameservers are already changed to them. But they need a little longer to realize and gift me with their professional appearing E-Mail.

So we verify our ownership.
I ask myself how buyers verify their "buyership". Today I am proud to collect the second non-paying buyer in a row with Sedo.

•••
Perhaps not completely.
Though having access to the registrant email address and clicking the link/answering when the verification is active is somewhat more acceptable for domain ownership verification.
Is it not legally enough ?

I second what @jberryhill said but do feel having a TXT record that matches an unique string will definitely weed out at least 99% of fake listings.

It's not 100% foolproof but it's way better than doing nothing. It would also make it quite easy to remove old/outdated listings as you could just check the records on a set interval and delete those that don't match.

It would cost them next to nothing to implement this compared to the scale they operate in so I really don't see why this isn't part of the solution.

•••
While searching online, I recently found out that the domain name GoDaddy.com is up for sale at Afternic.com.
The seller is asking 8 figures for such domain. The exact price tag is $49,999,999.

The question here is: is this a fake sale or what? Isn't this name owned by GoDaddy? If not, can the most successful domain name register company in the world - GODADDY- afford to buy this PREMIUM domain? Isn't it a trademark? Is there any legal issues to worry about if it's purchased by someone not related to the domain register giant?

Note:
Godaddy worth over 7 billion. I would love to buy it this cheap!!!

•••

But it's enough to list a domain. Because it's not final. Listing and selling are different processes and Sedo does it correctly.. Ownership is verified once again when the seller transfers the domain. No transfer no money to seller.

•••
It's not 100% foolproof but it's way better than doing nothing.

It's almost 100% foolproof from technical perspective. If DNS was not secure enough all websites would die years ago.

Last edited:
•••
It's almost 100% foolproof from technical perspective. If DNS was not secure enough all websites would die years ago.

Well, DNS definitely isn't as secure as we think it to be but that would require a topic of it's own :).

But yeah, generally speaking you're right.

•••
Is it fast transfer?
Too bad Im EXTREMELY short of the funds needed to buy.

•••
Well, DNS definitely isn't as secure as we think it to be but that would require a topic of it's own :).

But yeah, generally speaking you're right.

Weakest link in DNS chain is public resolvers. Dnssec has solved the vulnerability of resolvers by encrypting dns trafffic. But dnssec has its own issues. Hence dnssec couldn't be popular and the issue couldn't be solved completely.

Most servers are protected from vulnerabilities of random resolvers as they use reliable resolvers like google dns. Sedo verification is an automated task, is likely done by Sedo servers.

Existing vulnerability can affect mostly human visitors who use less reliable resolvers and operating systems. Most servers don't have such a problem. I haven't heard any real life issue on DNS based automated verifications. It's almost 100% foolproof as of now.

•••
GoDaddy.com is quite a funny domain.

I am offering 10 USD for it.

Who is the seller ?

Last edited:
•••
I have seen someone looking for offers for Dynadot .com at Dan, Ofc not redirecting :)

•••

If it sounds too good to be true :greedy::greedy:

it usually is.

•••
I wouldn't touch the name even if it was free (it's trademarked). Are you sure it wasn't G0baddy.com you saw?

•••
This one is pretty expensive. Don't forget someone once registered Google.com for about $8 and own it for 8mins or so :ROFL:

I think there's a way these giant companies handles their name for the pure fun of it. Sometimes you find their names roaming about on the street, completely available

•••
no worry, I will outbound some alternative to them if GD lost godaddy.com....😃

•••
Just another way Godaddy promotes their name. :glasses:
That's right...i happen to help promote their name with domains like; DaddyoBrands, DaddyoDomains, DaddyoWings and DaddyoGelato.

•••
A better bargain at Name.com

GoDaddyNamedotcom.jpg

Add to cart and see what happens... :)

•••

Note:
And, if not fake, as you put it, how does this affect their stock price? Also, It's hard to believe that someone else (separate from Godaddy) owns it and that the execs at Godaddy didn't buy this from them already. Something here doesn't make sense to me.

•••
My business partner and I are investigating this and if it's really for sale we plan to take out a 50 million dollar loan and buy the godaddy address we just got to make sure it's not an IDN as that would be useless to us. However, we believe if it's real deal price that we can flip that .com for a good price.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back