IT.COM

GoDaddy Closeouts, ghosting before checkout? Help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainBarracksRob

Top Member
Impact
Hello guys,

Question, have any of you ever experienced this and is it a tech issue or is someone simply beating me to the checkout complete purchase?

This past week I've lost 3 Good solid names in the close out section, after I do my research and check a few things and get to the complete purchase ....GD either wants me to sign in to complete purchase or it just doesn't complete like the page reloads, and by the time I sign in to complete purchase button .....and the name is no where to be found :(

I am asking because this is very annoying and after the name I just missed out on you will see.

So if it's just someone checking out before me, I just need to be faster, also 3 in one week I guess Im making good picks getting a better eye if others are snapping them up?

So frustrating!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no penalty for placing a domain into your GD cart but not checking out. Which takes the domain off the auction list for 2-3hrs. But you also might be experiencing, exactly what you are describing, somebody else picking up these "solid" domains before you. So you could check maybe every hour, to see if the domain re-appears. If they don't re-appear. Then you know you are being beaten to the domain. If they re-appear. Then you might want to reconsider your evaluation of that domain, before purchasing it.

•••
Hello guys,

Question, have any of you ever experienced this and is it a tech issue or is someone simply beating me to the checkout complete purchase?

This past week I've lost 3 Good solid names in the close out section, after I do my research and check a few things and get to the complete purchase ....GD either wants me to sign in to complete purchase or it just doesn't complete like the page reloads, and by the time I sign in to complete purchase button .....and the name is no where to be found :(

I am asking because this is very annoying and after the name I just missed out on you will see.

So if it's just someone checking out before me, I just need to be faster, also 3 in one week I guess Im making good picks getting a better eye if others are snapping them up?

So frustrating!

I've had it happen to me 3 or 4 times over the years, after I hit buy now. A couple times support said it went to a third party company, but it was awarded back to my account later...after they did research. The other two times they said I missed the order by seconds, as another buyer beat me. Who knows for sure?

•••
Go Daddy auction is full of bugs and other issues!

This kind of thing happens all the time .. as sometimes it's really just a race. If you really want the domain place a bid 5 minutes before .. although obviously that alerts other to it and could very well push up the price and not make the purchase worth it.

It's one of the big domainer dilemmas .. lol

•••
thanks guys, It sure is a pain when it happens, guess it's just part of the game it seems!

Side note, of the 3 I did find the one the next day , snapped it up asap just waiting for it to transfer to my account .

I think it's a combo of like you said, when it's put in a cart it removes it for a time being ...and the other is simply someone beat me to the punch.

•••
Make sure to login BEFORE you put it in your cart. It shouldn't happen then.

•••

This is a very good point! As I now think back , each time I was not logged in,that this began! Thank you and will always make sure of that for now on.

•••
Go Daddy auction is full of bugs and other issues!

This kind of thing happens all the time .. as sometimes it's really just a race. If you really want the domain place a bid 5 minutes before .. although obviously that alerts other to it and could very well push up the price and not make the purchase worth it.

It's one of the big domainer dilemmas .. lol

If it doesn't have a bid, I wait for it to go to "buy now". If it has 1 bid then I have no choice, but to do as you say and take my chances as it draws more attention with 2 bids.

•••
If it doesn't have a bid, I wait for it to go to "buy now". If it has 1 bid then I have no choice, but to do as you say and take my chances as it draws more attention with 2 bids.

I'm doing the same....my chances to grab the domain are the same whether I place a bid before the Closeout, or not.

Only difference, I pay WAY less....:)

•••

Good tip. I wasn't aware of that. So to be clear in what you are saying. If you are not logged in, then GoDaddy removes it from their auction for a couple of hours. But if you are logged in they don't? Seems a bit odd?

•••
This is a very good point! As I now think back , each time I was not logged in,that this began! Thank you and will always make sure of that for now on.
That is what is happening. We place a hold on domain names so you can - find a name you like or several names and then check them out, buy a membership if needed, hosting for the domain etc. If you are not logged in and we don't know you (cookies) then we think you are someone else when you login and those names are on hold in the "other" account. You can contact support and they can remove the hold right away. If you login before you put names in the cart we know it is you and those names will not disappear from your cart before you get to buy them.

•••
That is what is happening. We place a hold on domain names so you can - find a name you like or several names and then check them out, buy a membership if needed, hosting for the domain etc. If you are not logged in and we don't know you (cookies) then we think you are someone else when you login and those names are on hold in the "other" account. You can contact support and they can remove the hold right away. If you login before you put names in the cart we know it is you and those names will not disappear from your cart before you get to buy them.

Joe thanks a Million! Know this if coming straight from GoDaddy staff leaves a positive feeling ! I have learned from this .

Yes , I got one back and apparently two of the 3 was bought by someone else. Though I'm fairly new , this is good info for all domainers to know . Thank you

•••
If you are not logged in and we don't know you (cookies) then we think you are someone else when you login and those names are on hold in the "other" account. You can contact support and they can remove the hold right away.

Just wanted to say thanks again @Joe Styler I made this same mistake again today by error, and with your advise here I did just as you said.

Jenny was able to help me and did just as you said . I was able to make the purchase without waiting the hold time.

•••
Talking of godaddy closeouts, i bought a domain yesterday on there and after checking the who of the domain the registrar isnt even godaddy and its says afternic transfer in process, makes no sense to me.

@Joe Styler Any ideas?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back