Dynadot

discuss GoDaddy Cheatting people on domain name bussiness?

NameSilo
Watch

beaty

Impact
Yesterday I search a domain name on godaddy, I found a name that suit for my need and it was available and never been registered before.
And today I go to buy it, but surprisingly the name has been placed on premium listing with a very expensive price. I can't believe that this happen just a day after I search it.
I wonder whether GoDaddy cheat me to get a bigger profit when they know there is someone who really wants a domain name, it's not fair.
So guys, what you think about it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Personally I have never had this issue. Checked domains, and then a week later they are still there. Possible the domain you wanted was a premium when you 1st check but you didn't realize?

•••
hard to believe that such a company will do this.
What is the registration date of the domain name? If it was registered earlier than your searches, maybe there was an error with availability checker.

•••
It could be coincidence but I've had a few such 'coincidences' happen to me also on other registrars

that's why now I check from my computer and only if see something available I then go to a registrar and register it.
Never had any 'coincidences' happening again since I started doing that

•••
Simple, a lot of times when searching domains at godaddy, if you look carefully, you will see a domain is available.
And it will tell you the price, or if premium.

As usual, people like to blame godaddy for their own mistakes.

•••
If a domain name is available to register and you want it, then it's best to register it immediately without delay.

I have learned this lesson before :)

•••
Just try another registrar. If Godaddy raise it to premium it won't be premium elsewhere.

•••
Simple, a lot of times when searching domains at godaddy, if you look carefully, you will see a domain is available.

I agree with you, as there may be the case when he search the domain, it showed as available but he didn't checked the price. Domain may be listed as Premium before his search and he believed that it was available. I think that was available as premium domain.

•••
Hello,

I have experienced some problems with GoDaddy recently. I find new gTLDs that I KNOW are premium ones for regular prices and when you're trying to buy them (just to see what happens) the domain will just be removed from your cart.

I am positive that it's some kind of bug and not something they have implemented by purpose.

•••
Did you check the WHOIS? My guess is that someone saw it and immediately listed it as "premium". I have actually seen that before in looking at the daily drops and that is what I always assumed anyway.

•••
Every few days Godaddy sells the information they get from the thousands of people searching on the site to perhaps 10 or so domain resellers. These domain resellers then proceed to buy the domains that are "in demand" and place them at crazy price. This practice is very common with a lot of registrars.

The solution is not to search for availability on GoDaddy unless you are going to buy within hours.

I use 123-reg for searching for availability as I'm pretty sure they don't sell on information like this.

I hope this helps.

•••
Every few days Godaddy sells the information they get from the thousands of people searching on the site to perhaps 10 or so domain resellers. These domain resellers then proceed to buy the domains that are "in demand" and place them at crazy price. This practice is very common with a lot of registrars.
I'm rather curious where you got the above information, especially the last sentence.

•••
I'm rather curious where you got the above information, especially the last sentence.

Sorry I should say this is all my opinion and my own experience. When I used to use GoDaddy to check availability I would often see the domains days later on HugeDomains.com. As for 123-reg, they're a British company and my original registrar and as far as I have seen, the practice does not happen there.

For the record I'm not affiliated with 123-reg and I do not recommend them either as they do not offer a 2 factor authentication service which is an absolute must have for any registrar in my opinion.

•••

even though I do most of my business with Godaddy and overall, they're pretty good .. it has happened that a name I searched showed premium and for example 500$ to buy .. I couldn't register it for reg fee. I checked the same name with Namecheap and it was showing available to register for reg fee.

Last edited:
•••
I know I've added a domain to my cart. Thought it was too good to be true so I checked who.is just to not get my hopes up. while it was in my cart, it wasn't registered, I switched some funds around, literally took less than 5 minutes, went to submit the transaction, and it was no longer available. Then who.is updated. So idk if anyone is to blame, or the fact that there are so many ppl into domaining around the world, that its possible they had/have the same thoughts as you/me at that particular time. For the sake of good faith in man kind I hope its the latter.

•••

The solution is not to search for availability on GoDaddy unless you are going to buy within hours.

I use 123-reg for searching for availability as I'm pretty sure they don't sell on information like this.

I hope this helps.

I don't think they sell that information to anyone. The reason being that they can use that info themselves. And, thus, I do think that they have an algorithm in place that uses the data from availability checks to suggest domains based on keywords. Now, I don't KNOW if they do this but that's what I would do if I were them.

•••
I'm pretty confident they sell this information on, on a regular basis. Resellers like HugeDomains are taking a risk by probably buying up half the list and hoping someone will still come to them and pay their $3K price tag for the domain. I think the risk pays off for them.

I stumbled upon a website a few months back complaining about the above site and in the comments section there were around 40 people who were whining that their domains had be 'stolen' by HugeDomains. Personally I don't think it's stealing and but I do think GoDaddy has bad form for giving out the information in the first place.

Feel free to run on your tests on their platform:

Think of 10 'not bad' domains that are available, 3 keywords if you can't find 2 keywords.
Type them in to GoDaddy once a day for 2-3 days.
Wait up to a week, maybe 10 days.
See how many are taken.
Check out other large resellers like HugeDomains and see if they bought any.
Report your results here.

-----

The above post is my opinion based on my experience only.

•••
Sorry, but I have found 95% of the time it is the error of the person not the registrar, not to say registrars are innocent, but unless you post the name you wanted to reg ,so we can verify the creation date and validity of your claim then all this is, is another unsubstantiated rant.

Also, for the record, I have no affiliation to GD and find them one of the worst registrars for a number of reasons.

•••
It might be error / bug in their system. Nowadays issues are increasing with them :(

•••
even though I do most of my business with Godaddy and overall, they're pretty good .. it has happened that a name I searched showed premium and for example 500$ to buy .. I couldn't register it for reg fee. I checked the same name with Namecheap and it was showing available to register for reg fee.

That happened to me also a few times before.

•••
These things are happening far too often for it to be availability check error. I have a lot of info on this subject all based on my own findings over the last several years. It is time for a change that's why I decided to come out of my shell. The internet is going to change again how it changes will affect everyone or we can effect the right changes!

•••
gd is not real-time registrar

they may show domains as available to register, when in fact they are not.

use another registrar to check availability first.

•••
I'm pretty confident they sell this information on, on a regular basis. Resellers like HugeDomains are taking a risk by probably buying up half the list and hoping someone will still come to them and pay their $3K price tag for the domain. I think the risk pays off for them.

I stumbled upon a website a few months back complaining about the above site and in the comments section there were around 40 people who were whining that their domains had be 'stolen' by HugeDomains. Personally I don't think it's stealing and but I do think GoDaddy has bad form for giving out the information in the first place.

Feel free to run on your tests on their platform:

Think of 10 'not bad' domains that are available, 3 keywords if you can't find 2 keywords.
Type them in to GoDaddy once a day for 2-3 days.
Wait up to a week, maybe 10 days.
See how many are taken.
Check out other large resellers like HugeDomains and see if they bought any.
Report your results here.

-----

The above post is my opinion based on my experience only.

You already said it was your own opinion... this is baseless and doesn't add anything but hype to the thread. If you have ANY proof or examples from personal experience that are more than just poor experiences and speculation, please share.

•••
One time I used namecheap to check if the domain was available, it was, I wrote it down in my 'to reg' txt file on my pc so I wouldn't forget it, the next day I decided to reg it and it was already taken. I checked the whois and found out it was regged right that day. The domain was just too obvious to reg and I missed it while somebody did not.

Other time I found out on this forum that somebody regged VRgamesystem[dot]com just hours after I regged VRgamesystems[dot]com

Coincidences happen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back