Dynadot

GoDaddy charges $9.95 for checking your WHOIS info

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dave_Z

Electrifying GuyTop Member
Impact
Nope, it's not a mistake. You read the title right.

This has been discussed thoroughly in another forum.

This isn't mean to bash Go Daddy. I'm rather hoping to inform you guys about
this.

I hate to say this but it's another reason why I'm moving out of there...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
godaddy is one of the worst registrars I have ever used. Another reason for people to run away.

•••
Update: someone from Go Daddy replied to the thread. Here's a copy:

If we receive an ICANN complaint of invalid WHOIS information, and our investigation shows that all or part of the required information is missing or invalid, we send a warning to the registrant of the domain. They then have 5 days to respond or update the information so that it is all accurate.

In this case, we received a notification from ICANN because the original WHOIS for this domain name contained all zero's for the phone number. We sent a warning and asked the registrant to update the information. He then updated the Registrant phone number only to a number that did not include an area code. There were no changes made to the Administrative or Technical contacts following the initial warning.

At that point, we charged the adminisrative fee accordingly. Only after this was done was the WHOIS information for the domain in question updated to it's current form.

Please note that the initial warning sent in this case is seperate from the general reminders that have been sent out in the last 2 days. ICANN requires all accredited registrars to send annual reminders to domain registrants. If there is a problem with your domain name's contact information, you will be sent an official warning at that time.

Thank you,

Nick Fuller
Office of the President
GoDaddy.com

At least someone from Go Daddy finally responded. I'll keep you updated or you
can check the thread here.

•••
I've been using Go Daddy primarily for the last 3+ years and have had no problems and have been very happy with them. I had one slight issue a few weeks ago when I checked the availability of 2 domains that showed available so went ahead to register but then received the emails saying they couldn't be registered. So must of been a bug in the system at the time. However I received a refund promptly.

I'll always be a loyal customer with Go Daddy, but that doesn't mean I don't have domains elsewhere as well. :)

•••
I wouldn't say this as wrong. If the policy requires one to maintain his whois info correctly, he should maintain it accordingly. Otherwise he should not register any domains.

•••
Same here, I've been using Godaddy for 3+ years without any problems. :laugh:

•••
That's what you get for using fake whois info. They should have charged $999.95 for the stupidity of the whole situation, IMHO. Godaddy, or for that matter any other registrar is not going to risk their business for people who wont follow the TOS or ICANN rules.

Just my $300,000 Iraqi Dinars worth (adjusted to USD=$.02)

•••
holy makeral if this is so, sorry bob parsons but I'm out of there myself. I'm going to send bob an email as we speak.

•••
i am going to check it right now

•••
Seems like a way to enforce the accurate whois info rule that registrars agree to promote from ICANN. I'm sure other registrars must charge a similar fee -- but most customers just haven't heard about it yet.

Why would someone put "0000000000" as their phone number in the first place, anyway?

•••
Anthony said:
Seems like a way to enforce the accurate whois info rule that registrars agree to promote from ICANN. I'm sure other registrars must charge a similar fee -- but most customers just haven't heard about it yet.

Why would someone put "0000000000" as their phone number in the first place, anyway?
it is probably because the godaddy pushes are so annoying that people mix it up i think

•••
1rrr1 said:
i am going to check it right now

intresting and helpfull

•••
Anthony said:

It would be nice if they post this tidbit in their Service Agreement so people
would know, even though many won't even bother reading the fine print.

If I encounter others who do this as well, I'll definitely let you guys now. But
so far, Go Daddy's the only one I know who does this.

When you come to think about it, though, it's a reasonable compromise as
opposed to, say, losing your domain name. D-:

•••
Just keep your whois info up to date and valid and you'll be fine.

I like GoDaddy when I can afford them (good domains get to be registered there). Their phone support is wonderful. They're too expensive compared to ev1servers.net and 1and1.com though... Even an enom reseller is cheaper. I consider GoDaddy the cadillac of cheap domains. ev1servers.net is like a Ford Taurus and 1and1.com is like a Kia. If you can't afford the cadillac cause your time is worth the hundreds you save by registering elsewhere, then go somewhere else... I wouldn't put GoDaddy down; they are a great company in my opinion.

•••
GoDaddy does have issues. Their policy concerning stolen domains is the worst in the entire business. They turn a blind eye to things unless it causes them a loss in revenue.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back