IT.COM

GoDaddy Automatic Bids...sigh

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dgmweb

Established Member
Impact
My fun story of the day...

I had no choice but to let a domain expire last month due to some asshat stealing my CC# at a restaurant. The grace period expired while waiting on my replacement card & had no other cards to use. Rather than pay the $80 recovery fee when my new card arrived, I figured I'd catch it on the auction for $12, lol (done this once or twice before).

So I bid my $12 today 2 minutes before it expired, and was the only bidder, with only 2 views (total) of the listing - both mine. 1 minute later, I was outbid by an "Automatic Bid", so of course I bid again. At first I was surprised because I've had the name for 11 years and it's specific to one of my projects - long story short it's the name of a fictional place in my scifi film & very obscure; not really of value to anyone else I would think.

Realizing I was likely bidding against a shill, I kept at it anyway since the name is important to me. Finally won after about 6 more bids, running it up to $46 plus a 1-yr renewal. So GD got most of that $80 out of me anyway. Pretty sure no one else is actually interested in the name. I'm still waiting to see if I actually get the domain back in my account...

Anyone else have any fun stories like this? :laugh:;):$:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's funniest if you let the other bidder get your name and see who he/she is.
Nowaday, some big players set their systems/script/bot to bid domains automatically. Maybe they set "Bid a name that has extended time or domain that has bid(s) ".
I bid and get domains everyday on GD Expired Auctions. And i see tons of "Automatic Bidder" appear like a comet : they bid when the auctions already times up ( just 5-10 seconds left) or bid immediately after the 1st bid of a domain.

•••
why didn't you just buy a 25 bucks pre paid card?

•••
•••
Now you've got a free appraisal in the process :xf.rolleyes: But it's not high :xf.frown:

•••
why didn't you just buy a 25 bucks pre paid card?

Yeah, I definitely thought about that but had no option to - had no other card or even cash on hand. But I really didn't worry about it a lot since I figured I'd recover it pretty easy on the auction. Which I actually did, it just cost a little more. :)

•••
Now you've got a free appraisal in the process :xf.rolleyes: But it's not high :xf.frown:

Heh, yep. :) This does give me a bit more of a kick in the pants to finally develop this one though and at least get some ad revenue going. I've had plans for a while, so maybe it's time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back