IT.COM

GoDaddy Auctions - New Rule Change

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Today I learned that Godaddy has made unannounced changes to their auction policy that will probably rule eliminate most people who sell there.

After loading my domains to the auction, I noticed that many were missing from display -- they weren't active AND not pending. Then I got 5 emails saying I need to add a special TXT record to those domains.

This is weird because I discussed this with a Godaddy tech just last week, and they agreed that it IS NOT POSSIBLE to add a TXT record to a domain that points to a parking service, such as Sedo. I asked because this was a "suggestion" on the auction page.

I emailed this to my Godaddy Pro support person, and this is the reply:

======
EU’s GDRP (General Data Protection Regulation) law is the reason this was implementation. Historically, we verified non GO Daddy domain ownership thru public whose records. This is no longer possible. Because of GDRP, most registrars no longer publish email addresses in their whois records. This is the case for EU and non-EU clients. We had to have a solution that works for all clients. The solution we arrived upon was the TXT record.

GDRP has put us in a corner we don’t like. Options are few:
1. Transfer domains to Go Daddy
2. Change NS that allow an editable zone file

=====

Doesn't Godaddy have full, unrestricted access to the WHOIS?

I'm in the US and Godaddy is in the US -- so why do either of us have to comply with EU laws?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's new in this? It's like this for a couple months already, you need to confirm all submitted domains with TXT.

•••
Doesn't Godaddy have full, unrestricted access to the WHOIS?
No.

BTW, my suggestion would be to use a third-party DNS service, or better yet build your own. Then you assign zone templates to domain names so you can automate the addition of TXT records, and chain NS entries.

•••
What's new in this? It's like this for a couple months already, you need to confirm all submitted domains with TXT.

That's not true, I had 900 of the same domains in auction last week. They had the TXT record message up there as a suggestion, but it wasn't a requirement until this week.

•••
The TXT records don't always work. I had some work and some failed, same registrar and same changes made. No dice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back