IT.COM

auctions GoDaddy auctions changes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
I wanted to make sure everyone saw this announcement last week. https://domainnamewire.com/2022/07/13/godaddy-improves-expired-domain-pullbacks-expands-api-access/

The gist of it is we made two long asked for changes on the auctions. This is due in large part to the complete auctions redo we are in the middle of behind the scenes and currently on the new Search experience and homepage. More to come this year.

1. Anyone can use the auctions API now for closeouts. We will open this up for all auctions later this year but for right now it is limited to closeout domains. This is one of the most requested things I have had since taking over auctions about a year ago. It is now live.

2. We changed the timeline for 3rd party expired domains (non GoDaddy expired domains) on the auctions. This means that now it is almost always too late for a past owner to renew the domain after the auction ends. This means less surprises when you win a domain you should get it.

There is one big caveat. One partner stream we could not do this with. But ALL partners 2 days after the auctions end you should be able to know for sure you get the domain. There used to be a maximum of 10 days post auction end in the old system so this is a huge difference. Almost all the domains that are won now will be fulfilled. Almost all auctions end now at a time when it is too late for the current owner to renew the domain.

What that caveat means is that if you have a large payment for an auction pay 48 hours post auction and you should be in the more or less guaranteed fulfillment window for your auction win and not have to fear a refund and cancellation.

There are smaller caveats of course, death, technical issues, etc but by and large you will get the domain if you win.

These were two BIG pain points customers made known to me and they were not easy fixes but we got them done. There are more exciting things coming on auctions this year. Stay tuned.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank You!

I am doing some tests and from what I understand after reviewing the PDF is that if someone wants to monitor a domain / closeout for a specific price (50, 40, 30 etc) they would first need to use

GetAuctionDetailsByDomainName - to get when the current price will end?

Then

closeoutDomainPriceKey - to get the price key

and finally

InstantPurchaseCloseoutDomain - to buy the name

I see that we now have access to closeoutDomainPriceKey and InstantPurchaseCloseoutDomain which means that we could manually set a specific time to buy the domain.

Can GD give access to GetAuctionDetailsByDomainName so we could get the details of when the auction ends so we could attempt to snap it up quick?

Or is there another way to do this?

•••
•••
THIS TELLS ME YOU LISTEN!!
The “API” issue was a gray area felt vague; to privileged; no formula given; who qualified for GD api? Thank you!

Renewal post-GD auction was biggest gripe. Made question legitimacy of all Godaddy expired Auctions; nothing like renewing at end of auction —felt “purpose” owner gauge market at expense of those bidding.

Thank you for these overdue changes.

@Joe Styler and @Paul Nicks credit for listening!!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Joe,
This means less surprises when you win a domain you should get it
Joe, I truly appreciate the efforts of GD team to make it a better experience for all.

But something is yet broken. In the last 24 hours I have received 4 order cancellation notices from GD for 4 of my closeout purchases. All were .coms, and all domains are at Tucows.

Also, none of those domains have got renewed at Tucows till this point, yet the orders cancelled. I did message you the order details and request you to please look into it.

This was never the case with Tucows earlier and so I feel something has broken somewhere. Please look into it, as it's a drain of efforts and time with every cancelled order.

•••
Joe,
Joe, I truly appreciate the efforts of GD team to make it a better experience for all.

But something is yet broken. In the last 24 hours I have received 4 order cancellation notices from GD for 4 of my closeout purchases. All were .coms, and all domains are at Tucows.

Also, none of those domains have got renewed at Tucows till this point, yet the orders cancelled. I did message you the order details and request you to please look into it.

This was never the case with Tucows earlier and so I feel something has broken somewhere. Please look into it, as it's a drain of efforts and time with every cancelled order.
I would bet Tucows is the partner they could not arrange things with (caveat).

•••
There was an issue we were aware of that should now be resolved but you may still see some stragglers for the next few days.

•••
I'm sorry to necro an old post, but you're the only one that seems to know what they are talking about Joe. When will the auction API be opened up fully? and why is there such misinformation regarding this? I've spent countless hours on the phone this Dec for "API" or "aftermarket" support only to find out that the API isn't supported. So I continue to email auctions support. I'm "not authorized to use the Auctions API" is the error I'm getting back from the API, so it sounds like I know how to make the API request... yet I have an inbox FULL of support personnel at GoDaddy telling me the auctions API is "working as intended" if it's intended to be a puzzle, it's working. This is mind-numbing.
I tried attaching screenshots of all the mupltiple times I'm being told that I'm not restricted from it, but could not.

•••
I'm sorry to necro an old post, but you're the only one that seems to know what they are talking about Joe. When will the auction API be opened up fully? and why is there such misinformation regarding this? I've spent countless hours on the phone this Dec for "API" or "aftermarket" support only to find out that the API isn't supported. So I continue to email auctions support. I'm "not authorized to use the Auctions API" is the error I'm getting back from the API, so it sounds like I know how to make the API request... yet I have an inbox FULL of support personnel at GoDaddy telling me the auctions API is "working as intended" if it's intended to be a puzzle, it's working. This is mind-numbing.
Send me a PM and I will help you. The API is pretty open now to anyone who asks. We have made it so anyone can access the closeouts on the API even without asking. https://www.godaddy.com/help/access-the-auctions-api-41284 tells you how to get started.

•••
If you increase auction reserve price limit to $1m you would attract serious domain listings and possibly generate more revenue.

You currently have small business and small investors participating, but can get big ones.

•••
Does somebody know what happens to a domain if you let it expire the GoDaddy closeouts and nobody bid on it? After how many days will be available for hand reg?

•••
Does somebody know what happens to a domain if you let it expire the GoDaddy closeouts and nobody bid on it? After how many days will be available for hand reg?
I think 35 days

30 days redemption

5 pending delete

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler I sent you a PM a little over a month ago asking for access however I never received a response.
Yeah well he didn't help me either. He basically told me "That is because the API is not open to everyone for full functionality. There are only certain calls you can make for purchasing closeout domain names. We plan on opening it up fully some time this year. In the meantime if you have a premier services rep please let me know who they are so we can talk about the API access."

And then procceded to tell me to Join the discount club and domain academy is if I didn't have any clue - when I've been in this field since the internet started and when I wrote a program in python to access the api myself. Lol.

The people who had access via the old api still have access. Huge domains and anyone else that did have previous access have bots that literally don't sleep and can outbid anyone on that fact alone. There are several threads about it. I keep hoping something will change but here we are almost a year later and there is no open API. Just crickets and BS.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back