NameSilo

registrars Major shakeup: Tucows sending expired domain names to GoDaddy Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In a major shakeup in the expired domain name market, GoDaddy Auctions has begun auctioning off Tucows’ expired domain name inventory.
We can confirm that GoDaddy has launched a new product line to assist partner registrars to monetize their expiring domain feed using our GoDaddy Auctions platform. We launched today with one partner and will continue to add new partners as we expand the program. We are very excited about this as it allows more choice for our domain investors that use GoDaddy Auctions and provides another choice for registrars as well. Any registrar interested in joining our new expiry platform should contact Bob Mountain bmountain (at) godaddy.com, VP of Business Development for our Aftermarket.
Tucows had been sending its expired domain name inventory to SnapNames. Before that, it partnered with NameJet.

While a major blow to SnapNames, this also could be bad news for NameJet. Tucows clearly forecasts better revenue with GoDaddy, which means other registrars might soon defect from the two dominant expired domain name services...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
will "won" domains be transferred to a godaddy account?

•••
I've never been a fan of NameJet, so the more domains that don't get caught by them the happier I'll be.

•••
I would have to agree with @Dorkside on this one. I like this news, and I hope GoDaddy starts targeting some of the other big registrars as well. Personally, I think this will only help GD auctions even more.

•••
I've never been a fan of NameJet, so the more domains that don't get caught by them the happier I'll be.
Expired Tucows domains were sold through SnapNames before they moved to GoDaddy, not NameJet.

•••
Tucows even used to have their own auctions site for expiring names, that was little-known :) That was years ago.

•••
Yes defect to GD!

Backorder prices are way too high at Snapnames/Namejet.

•••
Yes defect to GD!

Backorder prices are way too high at Snapnames/Namejet.
makes no difference anyways. any decent name is going to be bid higher at godaddy since their auctions are open and more eyes there.

•••
Question, Can anyone confirm that ALL tucows expired domains end up at godaddy and if so does anyone know the timeframe from the expiry date?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back