IT.COM

GoDaddy Appraisal Vs NameBio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Orlwynn

Established Member
Impact
Hello all! I was wondering, which of the appraisal tools in the subject is more trustworthy. I'm just getting into the trade and I want to make sure that when I am appraising my hand-registered domains, I am looking at a good price point to start with or end with.

Any advice on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No automated appraisals are that useful. I would prefer actual sales data like NameBio over automated appraisals.

Understanding potential value and likelihood of sales is a very nuanced thing you only learn over time.

Brad

•••
Nameworth and Estibot.com are helpful to a degree but nothing automated should be treated as gospel. Go Daddy is garbage I would not even waste time with their tool. Namebio.com and DN Journal are still your best bets get comfortable with the sales data.

•••
Don't use automated appraisal tools....ever!!

•••

Respectfully disagree to an extent, automated tools can be useful for things like keyword volume and related metrics. However they should not be used to determine domain value.

•••
Respectfully disagree to an extent, automated tools can be useful for things like keyword volume and related metrics. However they should not be used to determine domain value.

Automated appraisals can be a useful metric to sort through large lists of domains, but the actual appraisal number itself I would take with a grain of salt.

Brad

•••
Agree with the above. I often say to type in something that you know has zero commercial value in GoDaddy's appraisal tool, such as "i love crows dot com" ...this is a premium according to their tool, valued over $1k

Another: "rabbit sniffer dot com". Again, valued over $1k. Have some fun with it yourself, type in any old nonsense. At the end of the day, they want you to spend your money

PS Welcome to NamePros @Orlwynn

Last edited:
•••
Screenshot_2021-10-16-16-00-10-407_com.android.chrome.jpg

This domain is sold by @mrcurly for atleast mid or high $xxxxx or might be low $xxxxxx

What if he believed in these automated tools? Another example is this domain "skin/generator (.com) which I own shows estibot or gd value more than buy/Avatar (.com) but I know it has very low value & not even comparable with this domain. So never believe these tools.

•••
Ask your wife. She knows everything and more.

•••
@johnn When I see you pop up in my notifications, I just know its going to be another wife comment

•••
Obviously, it's an extremely bad idea to price your name based on what GoDaddy's said.

However, I do not think that GoDaddy's estimation is totally useless and a complete garbage, as some people suggested.

Let's be honest - if you run 1000 potential names through GD appraisal, and then their system says that 50 of them are valued more than $2500 and 15 are valued more than $4000, would you like to see these specific names? Raise your hands those who say - ''no, I wouldn't spend even a 20 sec of my time looking at such names''.
And it doesn't matter what you later think about these domains and how you price them (if at all!) - you will check them out first.
So, to me GD appraisal does have a value in the sense I described.
But of course, if you are a newbie - do not price your names based on the digit GD brings for it. Never.

•••

We'll agree to disagree. He was asking as an appraisal tool. Even the metrics are crap too, it's best to turn new guys off them totally as theyre using them as an appraisal tool for hand regged names. I know how that ends up if they use these tools. New domainers need to read and learn what makes a name valuable, not rely on some tool that picks random figures.

•••
No automated appraisals are that useful. I would prefer actual sales data like NameBio over automated appraisals.

Understanding potential value and likelihood of sales is a very nuanced thing you only learn over time.

Brad
Thank you for the insight! Much appreciated. I was wondering how much I should should trust it and I saw GoDaddy was the best and then definitely not was so unsure if I should even use their services.

•••
Nameworth and Estibot.com are helpful to a degree but nothing automated should be treated as gospel. Go Daddy is garbage I would not even waste time with their tool. Namebio.com and DN Journal are still your best bets get comfortable with the sales data.
Thank you! I appreciate that raw info.

•••
Thank you! I created a spreadsheet and added the appraisal prices for some hand regs. I think I should do some more research and assess value based off of some working data

•••
Agree with the above. I often say to type in something that you know has zero commercial value in GoDaddy's appraisal tool, such as "i love crows dot com" ...this is a premium according to their tool, valued over $1k

Another: "rabbit sniffer dot com". Again, valued over $1k. Have some fun with it yourself, type in any old nonsense. At the end of the day, they want you to spend your money

PS Welcome to NamePros @Orlwynn
Thank you for having me! I am really loving this thought space! Rabbitsniffer.com aye? Wow! That sheds some real big light on the matter. Thanks a bunch. It really is something you have to feel through I guess.

•••
Obviously, it's an extremely bad idea to price your name based on what GoDaddy's said.

However, I do not think that GoDaddy's estimation is totally useless and a complete garbage, as some people suggested.

Let's be honest - if you run 1000 potential names through GD appraisal, and then their system says that 50 of them are valued more than $2500 and 15 are valued more than $4000, would you like to see these specific names? Raise your hands those who say - ''no, I wouldn't spend even a 20 sec of my time looking at such names''.
And it doesn't matter what you later think about these domains and how you price them (if at all!) - you will check them out first.
So, to me GD appraisal does have a value in the sense I described.
But of course, if you are a newbie - do not price your names based on the digit GD brings for it. Never.
Thank you for this. Super glad I asked this question. The honesty has been great!

•••
Thank you! I created a spreadsheet and added the appraisal prices for some hand regs. I think I should do some more research and assess value based off of some working data

Yes, delete that appraisal column in the spreadsheet. You'd be much better off putting the names in the appraisal section on here.

•••
Yes, delete that appraisal column in the spreadsheet. You'd be much better off putting the names in the appraisal section on here.
Thank you! I think I might start doing that once I have some funds to invest. I ran by that section and I'd love to know what some might think about the hand regs because I haven't a clue on values of words accept I know nonsense words aren't great and words that make sense you have to consider if a would be buyer would see the same even if wholesale which I think is where I wanna start. wholesale prices like $50-$350 and also knowing it'll be of great value to someone else. That is important to me.

•••
All valuation schemes cannot accurately evaluate the value of domain names. I think experience is more important. The more you see, the more accurate you will be, but there are still exceptions.
Generally speaking, referring to past sales prices will be closer to reality.
When I am a buyer, I usually refer to past transactions.

•••
Back