Dynadot

GoDaddy allows IDN registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
GoDaddy now allows IDN registration:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/registrar/idn.asp?ci=10645

Start your Internationalized Domain Name Search Here!

Looking for a domain name expressed in a foreign language? With our Internationalized Domain Name search capabilities, you can register .COM and .NET domain names in over 100 native languages (non-ASCII characters) such as Chinese, Japanese and Arabic or in standard ASCII character format. For example: пустыня (Russian word for "desert") is equivalent to xn--m1adged4c3a in ASCII.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This isn't really news. Godaddy has offered the ability register IDN's for at least a year now if I am not mistaken.

•••
I had no idea. I haven't registered anything with GoDaddy in quite some time. I do know that they didn't allow it in October 2006 because I asked them about it. They told me to suggest it as a new product line:

Thank you for contacting Online Support. Unfortunately, we are not able to address this question in the General Support Department. You may contact [email protected] to request that Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) be made a part of our product line.

I had no idea that they actually allowed IDNs until I checked the WHOIS on an IDN and found it regged at GoDaddy.

•••
Sleepys said:
This isn't really news. Godaddy has offered the ability register IDN's for at least a year now if I am not mistaken.
Just transfers.... They sent out a newsletter saying you can now register them recently.

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
Just transfers.... They sent out a newsletter saying you can now register them recently.

Perhaps they said in your newsletter that they now allow IDNs. This does not mean that they have not already allowed them, but is probably more of a ploy by them to get you to register them. Godaddy is always reminding you of services that have existed forever, I can't register a name without being redirected to a page first that says "Do you know that Godaddy now offers Traffic Blazer, buy it now for only this much" or "Do you know that Godaddy now offers some other product", which has actually been offerred for a long time. It is just their way of trying to induce you to buy them.

I will say this, I registered my first IDNs at Godaddy on 4/14/2007. They also gave me no impression at the time that it was a brand new feature or anything like that. That is why I say that they are not newly offered available to register.

•••
Burnsinternet - this is news to me, and I use Godaddy on a daily basis to register normal domain names.

Wonder if their discount codes and coupons work with registering IDNs ??

Alex

•••
Wow. I think that we have found the first product that Godaddy offers for sale, that they have not tirelessly beaten over our heads with ridiculously repetative advertisements. :lol:

To answer your question, I assume that you can use any of the promotion codes with it. I use the Discount Domain Club, and it applies to all of my IDN names as well.

•••
Wow. I have a gd account too, but only use it when other registrars have problems. How do the prices compare to Dynadot bulk?

•••
The prices are the same on IDNs as they are with regular names. If you get the Discount Domain Club it is $7.05 for a year (Not sure what the current coupon deals are at). It is $7.50 with Dynadot. Dynadot does make it much easier to return the name than Godaddy does. So, if you are sure about the name, you can save a little with Godaddy, if you are not 100%, it is worth it to use Dynadot.

•••
Didn't they only allow IDNs in punycode/ASCII before..? If they can support domain names expressed in over 100 foreign languages/non-ASCII now, that is news to me... :) %%-

•••
Anna X said:
Didn't they only allow IDNs in punycode/ASCII before..? If they can support domain names expressed in over 100 foreign languages/non-ASCII now, that is news to me... :) %%-

Yes. Unicode reg'in is new from my understanding.

•••
Give me some of the more common languages that you guys are saying is new. I have a bunch of IDNs from Godaddy in various languages from as early as April 2007.

•••
Actually, we are not saying what language is new.. It is the new linguistic interface that matters.
Do you mean you directly typed a word into the search box in a foreign language when you registered your domains, just like the current IDN registration? I wonder if it was possible... :rolleyes:

•••
Oh I see, I got it now. From the first post it sounded like supporting that many languages was new. I thought that the punycode and ascii thing could cover pretty much any language. I don't know how long they have allowed you to type in a name without using the code.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back