Domain Empire

GoDaddy - 2-Step Verification may have problem? Name transferred without permission - Help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
One of our domains with Godaddy suddenly disappeared. I received an email that advised me that it had been transferred out. We did not initiate any transfer. Furthermore, we have signed up for
2-Step Verification with Godaddy. No message advising us of the impending transfer was sent and, we did not ask for any authorization code.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I called customer service multiple times to ask them to follow up. They pushed me first to send an email to undo@.... I did so and, their CS responded by advising we fill out their online dispute form. That is fine except for the last page which requires us to digitally sign a clause that indemnifies Godaddy of all responsibility if they can not return the domain.

This means that we would have no recourse. Am I reading this correctly? If so, I don't want to submit as this is a company product name.

What do you think? I would be happy if someone from Godaddy can respond. The telephone tech support said that it was company policy and, there is no policy exception to this. The lower level people could not help further.

I don't see why they need that clause to fix a problem.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What does the WHOIS say? Is it still at GoDaddy, or did it transfer away?

Is it possible it sold at a marketplace? Did you have the domain listed for sale at Afternic or GoDaddy auctions?

•••
What does the WHOIS say? Is it still at GoDaddy, or did it transfer away?

Is it possible it sold at a marketplace? Did you have the domain listed for sale at Afternic or GoDaddy auctions?

Whois says that it transferred to another registrar and admin contact set. It was on sale. Even so, I should receive an offer, request to transfer, etc... but, I received no notice. No request for code.

One of the GD CS people said that it transferred very quickly. Not sure what that means but, a transfer typically takes a few days. She implied that it happened within much shorter time than that.

Last edited:
•••
I received no text messages at all for a 2-Step request.

•••
This is a terrifying situation, if a domain can be transferred by somehow bypassing the 2-Step Verification.

Transfers away from GoDaddy to other registrars can be completed fast (within hours) if the registrar receiving the domain approves the transfer right away.

•••
ridiculous, the new tech and platform I am building will solve this issue

Although I see godaddy send a approval email asking to approve new ownership or confirmation? Did they change your account email on file?

Last edited:
•••
Was domain at afternic?
Was fast transfer on?

•••
Was domain at afternic?
Was fast transfer on?

This transferred to a large competitor. My current issue is that Godaddy won't move on this unless I digitally sign a indemnity clause. Can't do that. I am not even sure that it is legal or enforceable.

•••
This transferred to a large competitor. My current issue is that Godaddy won't move on this unless I digitally sign a indemnity clause. Can't do that. I am not even sure that it is legal or enforceable.

I understand a domain is a domain; but was this a serious domain?

Did you accidentally let your domain expire? Godaddy auctions domains within 25 days of expiry, perhaps someone could of snagged it? If you can private message me the domain I can investigate.

Last edited:
•••

This doesn't answer my questions.

It was on sale.

Was domain at Afternic? Was fast transfer on?

Some people have reported domains selling, receiving no emails about it but having money waiting for them in Afternic. Log in and see if it sold.

•••
Also if it didn't sell, are you 100% it didn't expire?

•••
Was domain at afternic?
Was fast transfer on?

Yes, it was on Afternic. In fact I have just checked Afternic. They say that it had been transferred out and disbursement will been made.
But, I have not even received a notice that there was a transaction or that this occurred. And, no request for authorization. I know Afternic is Godaddy, but isn't there supposed to be a correspondence? An alert?

Just checked my junk mail. Nothing in there. My email is up to date.

Strange.

Last edited:
•••
And, customer service knew nothing of this. It wasn't in their records.

•••
Yes, it was on Afternic. In fact I have just checked Afternic. They say that it had been transferred out and disbursement will been made.
But, I have not even received a notice that there was a transaction or that this occurred. And, no request for authorization. I know Afternic is Godaddy, but isn't there supposed to be a correspondence? An alert?

Just checked my junk mail. Nothing in there. My email is up to date.

Strange.

I have 2-stage and had the same exact issue twice in the last month.

I received an email saying a domain was removed from my account with no email saying the domain was sold. The first was @ Afternic, the second was a GoDaddy Premium Listing.

Brad

•••
Was domain at afternic?
Was fast transfer on?

OK Lucid Domains. You hit the nail on the head. Thank you. No communication from anyone. Good news in the end but, really Godaddy, communicate, please.

•••
And this indemnity policy of Godaddy... why?

•••
There will not be any communication and Auth Code is not needed if you had a "Floor" amount set and a broker negotiated and offer was at or above the floor amount and the listed was for "Fast Transfer". That is what "fast transfer" is all about.

•••
There will not be any communication and Auth Code is not needed if you had a "Floor" amount set and a broker negotiated and offer was at or above the floor amount and the listed was for "Fast Transfer". That is what "fast transfer" is all about.
Exactly. @Basicgravity signed up for fast transfer, his domain got sold so it got transfered out. 2 step verification is irrelevant here as he agreed to the fast transfer protocol. However the lack of email communication is wrong imo, @Basicgravity should at least have gotten an automated email from afternic saying his domain was sold.

•••
Exactly. @Basicgravity signed up for fast transfer, his domain got sold so it got transfered out. 2 step verification is irrelevant here as he agreed to the fast transfer protocol. However the lack of email communication is wrong imo, @Basicgravity should at least have gotten an automated email from afternic saying his domain was sold.

In the end, it worked out nicely. Learn something every day.

•••
There was a thread about the same situation involving Afternic, but I believe the domain was listed by the former owner... thus the listing was no longer relevant.

•••
should at least have gotten an automated email from afternic saying his domain was sold.
Absolute agree with this. Why Afternic did not send an email is very wrong.

•••
Congrats on the sale. Any idea why you didn't receive the email notifications?

•••
Congrats on the sale. Any idea why you didn't receive the email notifications?
Don't know. It wasn't in junk mail or trash. Next time I see a transfer like this, I'll check Afternic first.
Happy for the sale so, I will move on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back