NameSilo

Getting along with fellow domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dawg

Dust TexasEstablished Member
Impact
When I first came to this board a few months ago this was the nicest group of people I have run across in long while on the net.(forums)

I have noticed here late that most of the threads end in bickering and fighting. I also notice that we have a few members policeing the threads giving input even when there are NOT asked to do so. I thought this was the job of the mods and admin.

Cheers

Dawg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hmmm... are you a mod or admin?

•••
Originally posted by TSC
Hmmm... are you a mod or admin?

No, just an observation.

•••
Doesn't hurt to post your observations. I'm sure your observations are for the improvement of the forum.

Regards.

•••
Believe me I am trying to handle this in a civil and adult manner.

It's just I feel alot of members here feel the same way as I do. I feel everytime I post something I might get shot down by critics, or end up side tracked in debating sensless discussions. Please I just want to get along with everyone and have a good time here but please let people have freedom without fear of sensless critisism

•••
Originally posted by dawg
Believe me I am trying to handle this in a civil and adult manner.

Precisely what we all should be doing.

I remember DSL mentioning this also when he left us momentarily :) He said something about "people turning evil and childish".

Must be the pressure from this "Domain Name Game". I sometimes feel that I'm also in some kind of stress situation.

Relax, Dawg B-)

•••
Say Dawg, I have seen this on almost every disscussion board I have ever been on. The more successful the board becomes the more varity of people that get attracted to the board, and thurs the more post, and thus more opportunity for misunderstanding and hurt feeling.

For that matter, even if the same person post at different times, they are bound to have different moods at times. Also alot of the fourm old timers start seeing the same kind of post over and over again and start having a hard time finding friendly ways to answer the same question.

I know that I just look at the site feature at:
http://www.namepros.com/links.php?action=viewlinks&catid=5
Which had a lot of information on a topic that I just posted on not too long ago.

Sometime the old timers reach a knowledge level where it is just no fun anymore to help out the newbie. And at the same time, the information on the forum is so good, that it spoils the newbie from learning how to look up stuff themselves.

I use to post alot of poetry on different internet forums. Certain forums would take anyone. But some more advanced forums were very hard to get accepted into. You emotionally took your life in your hands if you tried to post some bad poetry there.

Some times I would see users who got along well, kind of break off and start their own little specialty forum somewhere. This is fun but harder than "hell" to get people to come to a new forum.

Some times I would email other members that I liked and ask if they were posting anywhere else.

Also once a old timer has established themselves as a moderator or expert in some area, it is generaly a bad idea to cross them if you can help it. When alot of new people come to a forum, they don't always know who the players are.

Oh well so I ramble. Good observations on your part though.

meljr

•••
Discussion. This is good. Great reply's so far guy's. Cmon lets see some more spill your guts here tell us how you feel we are all in this together. Lets help each other. Tell us how you feel.

•••
The point of my question was to try and prove a point. People try and criticize other people, but in the process end up being hypocritical (meaning posting this and trying to 'police us')... I obviously see the good intent behind it and that there's a big difference between "OMFG yuor mom," but still...

•••
Ok well I am not sure but I do point things out just because whats wrong with that? I voice my opinion and another member will voice theirs we will therefore go into a debate but to me its just learning. I hope this isnt pissing you off.

•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
Ok well I am not sure but I do point things out just because whats wrong with that? I voice my opinion and another member will voice theirs we will therefore go into a debate but to me its just learning. I hope this isnt pissing you off.

I don't think anyone is realy mad. I just thought this discussion needed to happen. I just hope I dont make any enemy's in the process. That was not my intent. But I think this thread is going very well. We just need to voice our feelings from time to time.

•••
i hear ya. thats what i come to forums for :)

•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
i hear ya. thats what i come to forums for :)

I have watched your input in this forum. I think it is very valuable. Please keep up the good work. We need you continued input.

•••
Good etiquette is expected at all times, so if you are going to post something, try to be as polite as possible. If what you want to say can't be said in a polite manner, then you can:

- report the post (click on the red X near the top right portion of the post),
- post in the PM-to-Staff section for our review,
- send your opinion to your target via some other discreet way (PM, AIM, or email), or
- don't say it at all

If you are on the receiving end of criticism, becoming angry and posting a harsh reply wont do any good - it will only degrade our community. Either address the issues in a calm, objective way, or report it for mod review.

Be particularly considerate when posting in any Sales or Wanted thread, as irrelevant remarks could easily ruin the potential for a sale. In such threads, post only if you have a question about the sale or if you are going to put in a bid. If you wish to put in an offer grossly outside the parameters of the sale (for example, offering $10 when the seller is asking for bids above $100), then do so via PM. If you think there is fraud involved, then report the thread for mod review.

My 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
•••
Armstrong,

Very well said.

•••
Originally posted by meljr
Say Dawg, I have seen this on almost every disscussion board I have ever been on. The more successful the board becomes the more varity of people that get attracted to the board, and thurs the more post, and thus more opportunity for misunderstanding and hurt feeling.

For that matter, even if the same person post at different times, they are bound to have different moods at times. Also alot of the fourm old timers start seeing the same kind of post over and over again and start having a hard time finding friendly ways to answer the same question.

I know that I just look at the site feature at:
http://www.namepros.com/links.php?action=viewlinks&catid=5
Which had a lot of information on a topic that I just posted on not too long ago.

Sometime the old timers reach a knowledge level where it is just no fun anymore to help out the newbie. And at the same time, the information on the forum is so good, that it spoils the newbie from learning how to look up stuff themselves.

I use to post alot of poetry on different internet forums. Certain forums would take anyone. But some more advanced forums were very hard to get accepted into. You emotionally took your life in your hands if you tried to post some bad poetry there.

Some times I would see users who got along well, kind of break off and start their own little specialty forum somewhere. This is fun but harder than "hell" to get people to come to a new forum.

Some times I would email other members that I liked and ask if they were posting anywhere else.

Also once a old timer has established themselves as a moderator or expert in some area, it is generaly a bad idea to cross them if you can help it. When alot of new people come to a forum, they don't always know who the players are.

Oh well so I ramble. Good observations on your part though.

meljr

Wow, great explanation of the social dynamic of online forum bulletin boards. Maybe that should be the topic of my next sociology dissertation...

•••
Hey Anthony, thanks for reading and noticing my rambing. You perty much got me pegged here, as I did study some sociology in college. I am always interested in these kind of dynamics. So Really......are you doing a dissertation? or more importanly I would be interested in you views of the "dynamics" of forums.

meljr

•••
Originally posted by meljr
Hey Anthony, thanks for reading and noticing my rambing. You perty much got me pegged here, as I did study some sociology in college. I am always interested in these kind of dynamics. So Really......are you doing a dissertation? or more importanly I would be interested in you views of the "dynamics" of forums.

meljr

I'm not doing a dissertation this year, but I did study Sociology in college. I'd love to share my views on the dynamics of forums but I haven't really thought about it as much as you have. If I come up with anything interesting, I'll share. :)

•••
Dawg,

you and I appear to have joined up on this forum at roughly the same time. I too found it to be one of the nicest places on the net and full of the biggest group of amiable doods around.

Recently though I have noticed a change in the feeling on the board and I tend to agree with what meljr says about the dynamics of forums. But your right, there does seem to be a lot of the topics getting sucked off track at the moment and I got the feeling at one point that this was a deliberate attempt to dilute the benefits that we get from this excellent forum.

On the subject of the policing of the forums by other members. I think this is a bit of a strong way to put it as I for one feel that if I as a member disagree about something enought to get riled, then I should post my dissatisfaction. There is a fine line here though and sometimes people step over the line - but that is because they care about the forum and want to make sure that it continues being a success.

The thing that bothers me the most at the moment is the posting for postings sake which I feel is just a waste of the forums bandwidth and has been on the increase lately - but hey, thats JMO and everybody is entitled to feel how they feel about their forum. I try to limit my posts to those subjects that I want to learn about or those subjects that I know something about and can therefore contribute too.

All, whenever you feel riled, just say the phrase 'Anger In - Luuurve Out' whilst standing up and drawing your hands in towards your body for Anger In, and moving them out again for Luuuurve Out. If nothing else, it will make you feel like a complete tosser and you'll have forgotten why you were riled :lol:

•••
Originally posted by bensontwenty
Dawg,

you and I appear to have joined up on this forum at roughly the same time. I too found it to be one of the nicest places on the net and full of the biggest group of amiable doods around.

Recently though I have noticed a change in the feeling on the board and I tend to agree with what meljr says about the dynamics of forums. But your right, there does seem to be a lot of the topics getting sucked off track at the moment and I got the feeling at one point that this was a deliberate attempt to dilute the benefits that we get from this excellent forum.

On the subject of the policing of the forums by other members. I think this is a bit of a strong way to put it as I for one feel that if I as a member disagree about something enought to get riled, then I should post my dissatisfaction. There is a fine line here though and sometimes people step over the line - but that is because they care about the forum and want to make sure that it continues being a success.

The thing that bothers me the most at the moment is the posting for postings sake which I feel is just a waste of the forums bandwidth and has been on the increase lately - but hey, thats JMO and everybody is entitled to feel how they feel about their forum. I try to limit my posts to those subjects that I want to learn about or those subjects that I know something about and can therefore contribute too.

All, whenever you feel riled, just say the phrase 'Anger In - Luuurve Out' whilst standing up and drawing your hands in towards your body for Anger In, and moving them out again for Luuuurve Out. If nothing else, it will make you feel like a complete tosser and you'll have forgotten why you were riled :lol:

Very interesting comments. I agree with everything you say. I hope I did not come across to harsh. I appreciate every comment here. It has realy made me feel better about the whole thing.

This is the best forum I have ever been apart of by far!

•••
Originally posted by dawg
This is the best forum I have ever been apart of by far!

Agreed - lets keep it that way folks:tu:

•••
Glad you're feeling better, Dawg :tu:

•••
Dawg: Nice thread. Needed to happen. I really enjoyed meljr's post.

I find that there are alot of "postings for postings sake" as well. My postings have dropped quite a bit lately but that does not mean that I am not reading as mush threads and posts as I have in the past. Just being a bit more selective.

I've always been a fan of "quality over quantity". I personally feel that NamePros is still "quality over quantity" and don't get too upset over the occasional "fluff" that appears.

I guess my only beef would be that some of my favorite members don't post as often as I would like (just me being selfish).

Thumbs-up NP!
ST

•••
How do we treat these people in the real world:

1. people who keep making smart-ass comments to provoke a response
2. people who keep saying pointless, boring things just for the sake of talking
3. critics who make some sense, but are always negative
4. those who rant and rave so much that we can't ignore them

In the first two cases, these people are thought of as socially inept and unworthy of being taken seriously. Generally, they can be safely ignored. If we make the mistake of taking them seriously, then it only encourages more anti-social behavior. Eventually, they realize that no one is listening and either change their style or just shut up.

In the third case, these people don't have any friends. Even 'neutral' people sometimes take the opposite view of whatever they are espousing simply because of this dislike.

In the fourth case, they have to be stopped. So we call in the cops.

IMHO, what works in the real world can also work in forums.

•••
Originally posted by armstrong
How do we treat these people in the real world:

1. people who keep making smart-ass comments to provoke a response
2. people who keep saying pointless, boring things just for the sake of talking
3. critics who make some sense, but are always negative
4. those who rant and rave so much that we can't ignore them

In the first two cases, these people are thought of as socially inept and unworthy of being taken seriously. Generally, they can be safely ignored. If we make the mistake of taking them seriously, then it only encourages more anti-social behavior. Eventually, they realize that no one is listening and either change their style or just shut up.

In the third case, these people don't have any friends. Even 'neutral' people sometimes take the opposite view of whatever they are espousing simply because of this dislike.

In the fourth case, they have to be stopped. So we call in the cops.

IMHO, what works in the real world can also work in forums.

Thank you everyone for the valuable comments here. This thread turned out better than I could have hoped for.

My initial intesion was to bring to light the feelings of certain members of this forum. This is just as any other community in the world we have members that feel less than adequate at times.

I think the job of all of us as with any social relm in the world is to give a little brotherly love and understanding.

I know this may sound corney but, I think if there was a little more love and less war on our planet this would be a much better place.

I just want to say, I hope each and every one of you have a great Christmas and may your family feel the peace and joy of the love of God during this time.

Let us remember what this season is all about. It is not what we find for our self under the tree but it is what we give to our fellow human beings on the planet.

Cheers

Dawg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back