IT.COM

opinion GEO domains...worth it or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
I've got a few, none of which are great sized cities with the exception of a couple, and wondered what the feeling is about them now that the search engine we love, respect, etc. has changed some of the ways it gives results.

Any constructive input would be appreciated as some of these puppies are coming up for renewal and time to decide...keep or purge?!?!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've got a few, none of which are great sized cities with the exception of a couple, and wondered what the feeling is about them now that the search engine we love, respect, etc. has changed some of the way it gives results.

Any constructive input would be appreciated as some of these puppies are coming up for renewal and time to decide...keep or purge?!?!

Geo are my specialty. The value obviously depends on the keywords and the city or area. If you post them here or send them to me via PM, I'll give you my honest opinion.

Last edited:
•••
send them to me via PM

Once I get back to desktop this weekend, I'll PM a few and see what you think. Thanks for responding.

•••
Bing still ranks exact match domains well. I would also say that a GEO + service domain is a great authoritative brand regardless of search volume. That said, end users in general just do not like to pay a lot of money for domains. A real estate commission can run five figures for just one sale. Yet marketing city + real estate domains even in large cities has not been a worthwhile exercise. Perhaps in time that will change.

•••
A real estate commission can run five figures for just one sale.

I've got a little experience in real estate (some flipping) and always thought if I were a real estate agent that city/town/state would be an ideal domain/site.

•••
I've got a number if geo domains, nearly all were hand registered relatively recently. I have even sold a few already. Unfortunately, the niche that I have invested in is several years away from being really hot. But, I didn't plan on selling right away. Anyway, I am gambling on geodomains. And, so far, I think I have broken even or even profited overall. Of the ones that sold, my avg sale is probably about $200 sale on a domain registered about 3 months before. Not a bad ROI.

•••
I've sold a good handful of geo/service .coms. Some services seem to get domains more than others. Don't have a ton of them left but still a good handful I'm brokering for someone else in at least 7-8 different services. Not my biggest sales but $8 into $900+ here and there still a good ROI. So depends on the city as bigger cities will have more end users and service as some services are more internet based/internet savvy over others.

•••
Thank you posting infosec3, cj6 and sparedomains. I had someone, a couple of months ago, want to trade about 12 geo's for trollup dot com but I didn't make the trade. All of those geo's have increased in value about 25% and trollup has held steady...beginning think I should have made the deal.

•••
Have sold one this year. Registered four months ago and resell for $350. Geo is sweet, especially when the sale is inbound

•••
Geo is sweet, especially when the sale is inbound

Yes, what a great day when you get up, open your email, sort through the spam and find an offer! On my geo's, if the state is spelled out and it gets more than 2,000 searches a month, I have a base of 500. Of course more would be better!

•••
give some ideas about the kind of domains you have so that we can comment that whether we can decide which to keep and which to let go

•••
give some ideas about the kind of domains you have so that we can comment that whether we can decide which to keep and which to let go
Southernmainebuilders.com
Michiganfamilyvacations.com
Floridavehicledealers.com
PragueEstates.com
What's your oppion on these

•••
ideas about the kind of domains you have

I am not where Hal (desktop) is and don't have the list on laptop...the only names I can recall are the ones that are leased and per agreement can't specify. However, just got one this am that is special to me as I have been there (at least there are pics of me--recall on that weekend is not so good) and it is SturgisKentucky dot com.

•••
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is better... states or cities spelled out, or initials? For example, LosAngelesSubject or LASubject, ConnecticutSubject or CTSubject? I believe it to be the initials, but want to get others' opinions.
Thanks

•••
states or cities spelled out

No hijack worries...sharing of any information that could help make a sale is good for us all...it is necessary to keep the market moving.

IMO it can be a personal preference. In my case, I like to to have the city then state spelled out...others like the abbreviation (haven't checked lately but the abbreviated are probably worth more).

In other uses, I prefer the city name then service as in AtlantaPainter vs ATLpainter. In the incident of state names, the abbreviated is probably the best as in ConnecticutPainter vs CTpainter...name of the state plays a part as well...is it better to type in SouthCarolina or SC? The buyers preference will come into play...in my case it has been almost an even split in preference.

•••
I've got a little experience in real estate (some flipping) and always thought if I were a real estate agent that city/town/state would be an ideal domain/site.

I have no clue about this, seems to be a lot of geo sales in the thread "Report Completed Domain Name Sales Here". Long GEO+kw+kw+kw sometimes (If they are real). I spent $10 dollars today on 3 domain names (Warning: They are extremely long):

(.com)
Mississippi Real Estate Agents
West Virginia Real Estate Agents
Connecticut Taxi

Some developed sites:

(.com)
OregonRealEstateAgents. -> BendPropertySource
ArizonaRealEstateAgents -> Longrealty
DelawareRealEstateAgents -> DelawareRealEstateAgents

For the curious: All other US states + RealEstate / RealEstateAgent / RealEstateAgents .com are gone.

Last edited:
•••
I have no clue about this, seems to be a lot of geo sales in the thread "Report Completed Domain Name Sales Here". Long GEO+kw+kw+kw sometimes (If they are real). I spent $10 dollars today on 3 domain names (Warning: They are extremely long):

(.com)
Mississippi Real Estate Agents
West Virginia Real Estate Agents
Connecticut Taxi

Some developed sites:

(.com)
OregonRealEstateAgents. -> BendPropertySource
ArizonaRealEstateAgents -> Longrealty
DelawareRealEstateAgents -> DelawareRealEstateAgents

For the curious: All other US states + RealEstate / RealEstateAgent / RealEstateAgents .com are gone.
What about real estate +Geo... Any value in that?

•••

That was nice of you to post...gonna save people some search time! :)

Thanks for pointing out the thread...I haven't run across it yet but will check it out.

Your real estate regs are good...I lost a bunch when r*ealtor got taken away...I think you will find buyers without too much time passing.

•••
What about real estate +Geo... Any value in that?
As I said, I have no clue at all sorry. I do it as an experiment to see if I can at least double the profit on them.

•••
Yes, they are important and could be sold for at least low to mid $xxx depending on how big is the city and how good is trailing Keyword.

I have few dozen geo+keyword domain name sales pending completion of Escrow and I will be happy to announce them for all of you to learn and take a cue :)

P.S. They were hand-registered sometime in December.

Good luck!

•••
Yes, they are important and could be sold for at least low to mid $xxx depending on how big is the city and how good is trailing Keyword.

I have few dozen geo+keyword domain name sales pending completion of Escrow and I will be happy to announce them for all of you to learn and take a cue :)

P.S. They were hand-registered sometime in December.

Good luck!
Please do announce them when you conclude the deal.I wiold love to learn about the sale.Thank you.

•••
More from my portfolio
Londontravelcenter.com
Usedcarsessexcounty.com
RealestateCongress.com
Realestategenoa.com
Realestategallatin.com

•••
On namebio, less than 5% of transactions are geo domains.

I don't think the usual domainer's business model works well for geo domains. By usual, I mean: buy or register a domain, keep it and sell it for a higher price, may be in 6-12 months. With a few exceptions, I don't think geo domain will appreciate with time. It's rather the reverse.

Most geo domain transactions are probably not reported in namebio, either because they are less than 100$ or because they are private.

More likely, a better business model for geo domains is the following:
- spot expiring domains that match several existing businesses (such as mediumcitylawnmover.com)
- contact by email a dozen or so established businesses, preferably those who pay for adwords
- sell your domain right away around 100$ each (may be up to 2/300$ if you are lucky)
- drop it if it was not sold within a few weeks.

Most domainers are not pursueing this model because it's too troublesome and time consuming. I might try it one day, but it needs to be highly automated.

Last edited:
•••
I have a lot like "cityname"fashionstore.com, "cityname"apartments.com, "cityname"homes.com, "cityname"florist.com, visit"cityname"city.com. I have at least twenty such patterns and twenty domains with different city names for each pattern. I have started reaching out to potential end users and sold a dozen of these for an average price of around 250$.

•••
I have a lot like "cityname"fashionstore.com, "cityname"apartments.com, "cityname"homes.com, "cityname"florist.com, visit"cityname"city.com. I have at least twenty such patterns and twenty domains with different city names for each pattern. I have started reaching out to potential end users and sold a dozen of these for an average price of around 250$.

The way to go and that's the soft spot where you will be able to crack a quick deal. My team at Reappoint Internet is doing exactly the same with a very targeted reach and I am glad someone opened up a thread on this topic. About time we all shared our views on this and successful strategies :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back