Domain Empire

discuss Generic / unpronounceable 4 Letter Domains - Difference in venues and prices

NameSilo
Watch
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get opinions of some of you guys here... I have been watching domains for years. Dabbled in them a bit, but never really given them too much time or true research.

Lately I have been "bored" and watching 4 letter domains (non premium and random), and what they sale for. (.com only)

On Flippa, eBay, Forums, Etc - These domains seem to fetch 50-100.

On Godaddy, DropCatch, Etc - These domains seems to be going for 300-400. I understand these are dropped but in researching them there is no determinable difference between these and ones I see fetching $50.

Domains in the group I speak of have no meaning, can't really stand for anything, don't have traffic.... Yet there seems to be a decent difference in acquisition costs. Is there something I am missing - or just a difference in type of buyers?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey everyone,

I have been watching domains for years.

Is there something I am missing - or just a difference in type of buyers?

1. rarity > since all LLLL.com have been registered, that in itself creates demand. after the cream is held, the crap gets fought over. within that crap, uses are found via other markets and newbie buyers.

2. buyers/sellers > different types for both classes, which is determined by experience, knowledge, budget and resources.

3. difference between liquidation venues > flip, ebay, forums, versus backorder/dropcatchers > gd, and dc because the latter deals with expiring names, while liquidation venues offer domainer listings.

just gave few examples, but there are other variables that can affect a domains' closing price.

imo....

•••
To add to Biggie's number 2, I would say location, you live in U.S. xqqx.com does not look worth regging, you live in China, it is very much worth regging, so the Letter Desirability Factor, differs from region to region.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back