IT.COM

General advice needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pivackernan

Established Member
Impact
Hi there my names Keryn, I am fairly new to domaining and new to this forum which I have found myself referring to ALOT since becoming fascinated, or should I say - obsessed with the big beautiful domain world! I have posted things in the wrong forums, I have listed auctions wrong and I have stumbled around this forum like a definite rookie haha I'm sorry. I was wondering if anybody has luck selling domains on eBay? I have listed on Flippa, Sedo, had my own website for a little while, have posted on here and am now trying only a few listings on eBay at $1 reserve (glitter.cloud, minerecruit.org, buzz.fish and bid5.co which I won't go into detail about its not a sales post..). I have a lot of researching and learning to do but thats the joy of it all, I'm making sure I absorb every little bit of advice given and love meeting you all and watching where my sold domains and your sold domains end up too. I have some funny domains in my portfolio like what the hell was I thinking...I have some that I am sure that I hold onto for a wee while and build up my traffic will bring in a good return too but for now I'm just finding my feet and would appreciate any advice you could give me on eBay listings and what success or non-successful listings you have had through eBay...thanks in advance. K

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last week I sold a name on Sedo for $150 that could not get a $5 bid here, domaining is a strange game and it pays to spread out your marketing, list names at Sedo, consider auctions here and even the odd Flippa auction, read up and learn and try a few things, I have sold a couple of cheapies at Ebay and it can be a handy learning curve as well. Good luck

•••
So if it was Google.io for $1 (not capital i) would you buy it? Also once you own it would you submit the name to get listed in Google.com?

I don't even know the answer to that, maybe I would submit it I don't know I'm still learning. What would you do expert? Tell me how
Last week I sold a name on Sedo for $150 that could not get a $5 bid here, domaining is a strange game and it pays to spread out your marketing, list names at Sedo, consider auctions here and even the odd Flippa auction, read up and learn and try a few things, I have sold a couple of cheapies at Ebay and it can be a handy learning curve as well. Good luck

Thank you very much for your help, I am using Flippa auctions, trying some on eBay and parked with Sedo, one parked with Above because Sedo doesn't accept the extension yet, but feeling a bit overwhelmed like I need to just stop, rethink and even categorise my domains into the extensions they belong, may help with marketing and keeping track of everything because when I log into my registrar there are names everywhere I don't know how people handle thousands and even hundreds of thousands at a time. Can you sell in portfolios or only as single domains?

Last edited:
•••
I don't even know the answer to that, maybe I would submit it I don't know I'm still learning. What would you do expert? Tell me how

Trademark

•••
You are entitled to your opinion, and I will repeat again, this guy uses trickery to sell his domain on ebay and uses stale dated spam techniques on this forum.

Sorry that sent too early - I bidded because I can do what I want and you are irrelevant to my choices. Maybe I would submit it maybe it would sit there like a few of my other bad choices but thats for me not you to jump up and down about we are way off topic now. You know nothing about how much somebody may want a certain name because you are not that person. You are not that company who may one day be looking at rebranding either. You are not somebody who I want to receive silly remarks from or would ever respect when it came to gaining and valuing knowledge from. I'm here for help. In some way you are giving it so thanks but really I get the point now.

•••
Trademark
Sorry that sent too early - I bidded because I can do what I want and you are irrelevant to my choices. Maybe I would submit it maybe it would sit there like a few of my other bad choices but thats for me not you to jump up and down about we are way off topic now. You know nothing about how much somebody may want a certain name because you are not that person. You are not that company who may one day be looking at rebranding either. You are not somebody who I want to receive silly remarks from or would ever respect when it came to gaining and valuing knowledge from. I'm here for help. In some way you are giving it so thanks but really I get the point now.

•••

The trademark laws are very relevant to your choices. You are the one who mentioned that you wanted to buy Google.io now me.

Explain to me how bad a companies name must be to consider any of your domains an upgrade?

Let's revisit the names:

glitter.cloud (Maybe Amazon? Maybe Maria Carey)

minerecruit.org (Maybe SPDR Gold Trust or Goldman Sachs? or Maybe Monster.com they just got a huge windfall from selling off some domains)

buzz.fish (Maybe if BuzzFeed and PlentyOfFish merge? Could be huge)

bid5.co (Ebay? Maybe Yahoo auctions will come back to life using bid5.co as a rebrand mega launch?)

•••
I am very welcoming until someone tries to play silly scammer spammer games

Read my clearly pointed reply as to how legit people post when they desire honest feedback.

This is so ridiculous. Im NEW to domaining!! How can I adopt such bullshit habits to get myself started in the industry, the world is a little place and I am not one of those people and NEVER will be you need to assess why you have trust issues and I bet you it lies within but projecting it out onto me makes you feel better!! You are absolutely ridiculous. I bought my first ever domains in my life in Dec last year and I sold dementia.rocks on $1 reserve and worked my bloody arse off to make sure that the service that I delivered was its very best that I could offer even though I was OUT OF POCKET because it is your service that counts and is most memorable at the end of the day. Everyone has to start somewhere and I bet you weren't as top notch as you are right now as to when you first began. Get off your high horse and leave room on here for people who are actually sifting through it all to lend something helpful.

•••
This is so ridiculous. Im NEW to domaining!! How can I adopt such bullsh*t habits to get myself started in the industry, the world is a little place and I am not one of those people and NEVER will be you need to assess why you have trust issues and I bet you it lies within but projecting it out onto me makes you feel better!! You are absolutely ridiculous. I bought my first ever domains in my life in Dec last year and I sold dementia.rocks on $1 reserve and worked my bloody arse off to make sure that the service that I delivered was its very best that I could offer even though I was OUT OF POCKET because it is your service that counts and is most memorable at the end of the day. Everyone has to start somewhere and I bet you weren't as top notch as you are right now as to when you first began. Get off your high horse and leave room on here for people who are actually sifting through it all to lend something helpful.
I am not on a high horse and I show nothing but respect to anyone who acts normal and honest.

I asked very pointed question that you failed to address. You had all kinds of ideas already in this thread, maybe I fear that one day you will hurt my business, maybe I am projecting, maybe this and maybe that.

What happened here is the truth hurts, you might be a newbie in domaining but the content of your ebay listing shows you are far from a newbie in serving up nonsense.

Yes, most here will fall for your little rant you just made, all I see is someone that cannot fess up to the fact that you had a motive other than advice with this post. It is not too late to confess and regain some credibility here. Right now, even those overtly trying to be nice, know full well I am right.

So why not start again, tell us you realize no one is interested in the domains you thought are worth 80k+ according to your site, and ask for honest straight forward advice!

YES, when I started out I also purchased junk but I didn't give up.

•••
You are entitled to your opinion, and I will repeat again, this guy uses trickery to sell his domain on ebay and usesstale dated spam techniques on this forum.

Firstly, its a lady, not a guy

Secondly, there is no sign of trickery at all, wording might not be the best, but dont assume there is any scamming because of similar things you have seen in the past...everyone deserves a go until there is proof of wrongdoing....you seem to be the only one that thinks that, if not, there would have a been a lot more people jumping on this thread calling her out on it, people love calling out a scammer

Last edited:
•••
Y
The trademark laws are very relevant to your choices. You are the one who mentioned that you wanted to buy Google.io now me.

Explain to me how bad a companies name must be to consider any of your domains an upgrade?

Let's revisit the names:

glitter.cloud (Maybe Amazon? Maybe Maria Carey)

minerecruit.org (Maybe SPDR Gold Trust or Goldman Sachs? or Maybe Monster.com they just got a huge windfall from selling off some domains)

buzz.fish (Maybe if BuzzFeed and PlentyOfFish merge? Could be huge)

bid5.co (Ebay? Maybe Yahoo auctions will come back to life using bid5.co as a rebrand mega launch?)

What great ideas I better add them to my big glittery inspo board with fairies and lala land memoribillia tacked all over it... definitely loving the the Mariah Carey idea, glitter.cloud would so work especially selling a Mariah glitter hairbrush or Mariah Carey glitter make up powder puff (which by the way you spelt wrong just saying) I have a dot com and also a dot club under negotiation but you'd already know that because you're the expert right. They may not sell for millions, may not even sell for more than $20 but its the process that I am fine-tuning right now and will never be detoured by negativity like yours sorry Kanye.

I have actually taken on most of your advice from your original post - like I said, thanks because that is what I was looking for. Just the way you delivered it and then went on (and are still going on) about how untrustworthy I am and that I was trying to spam the forum...oh because buyers are just jumping up and down for my domains here - negative. I posted because I need advice and I have received great advice.

I'm not a dude either.

I am not on a high horse and I show nothing but respect to anyone who acts normal and honest.

I asked very pointed question that you failed to address. You had all kinds of ideas already in this thread, maybe I fear that one day you will hurt my business, maybe I am projecting, maybe this and maybe that.

What happened here is the truth hurts, you might be a newbie in domaining but the content of your ebay listing shows you are far from a newbie in serving up nonsense.

Yes, most here will fall for your little rant you just made, all I see is someone that cannot fess up to the fact that you had a motive other than advice with this post. It is not too late to confess and regain some credibility here. Right now, even those overtly trying to be nice, know full well I am right.

So why not start again, tell us you realize no one is interested in the domains you thought are worth 80k+ according to your site, and ask for honest straight forward advice!

YES, when I started out I also purchased junk but I didn't give up.

•••
Firstly, its a lady, not a guy

Secondly, there is no sign of trickery at all, wording might not be the best, but dont assume there is any scamming because of similar things you have seen in the past...everyone deserves a go until there is proof of wrongdoing....you seem to be the only one that thinks that, if not, there would have a been a lot more people jumping on this thread calling her out on it, people love calling out a scammer

I really am not a sexist so I do not care if the poster is a man or woman, advice is advice, please do not alter your tone or advice based on the gender of the one asking.

I replied very clearly what I see in their ebay listing as trickery and misleading. Can you please explain how you justify those things?

I also made a clear point how only one name needed to be mentioned OR no names at all just the content of their listing. After all that is how most do it here even complete newbies.

I also pointed out that the OP admitted that they played interested games already on this forum and broke several rules as far as posting.

•••
Y

What great ideas I better add them to my big glittery inspo board with fairies and lala land memoribillia tacked all over it... definitely loving the the Mariah Carey idea, glitter.cloud would so work especially selling a Mariah glitter hairbrush or Mariah Carey glitter make up powder puff (which by the way you spelt wrong just saying) I have a dot com and also a dot club under negotiation but you'd already know that because you're the expert right. They may not sell for millions, may not even sell for more than $20 but its the process that I am fine-tuning right now and will never be detoured by negativity like yours sorry Kanye.

I have actually taken on most of your advice from your original post - like I said, thanks because that is what I was looking for. Just the way you delivered it and then went on (and are still going on) about how untrustworthy I am and that I was trying to spam the forum...oh because buyers are just jumping up and down for my domains here - negative. I posted because I need advice and I have received great advice.

I'm not a dude either.
My points were all made, enough time spent in this thread

•••
I really am not a sexist so I do not care if the poster is a man or woman, advice is advice, please do not alter your tone or advice based on the gender of the one asking.

I replied very clearly what I see in their ebay listing as trickery and misleading. Can you please explain how you justify those things?

I also made a clear point how only one name needed to be mentioned OR no names at all just the content of their listing. After all that is how most do it here even complete newbies.

I also pointed out that the OP admitted that they played interested games already on this forum and broke several rules as far as posting.

I have posted in the wrong forum and didn't know that the auctions had to be namepros exclusive. The only things that have happened to me are that my posts have been moved out of a forum into another for not being auction exclusive because I have them listed on ebay, flippa and sedo and was told covering all platforms was the way to go! I just need to brush up on restrictions to this now. 5 months into domaining as a part-time career while I work full-time and be a mum to three plus a wife and everything else in between - you tell me if you've got that down pat with all the fine print memorised. Bullshit. I would love to see your feedback and history. I have looked around and tried to get an idea about how others are listing their auctions and I am learning from everything I read on here and I am grateful that such forum exists but wow.

•••
Exactly..basic newbie mistakes, and she was honest about it.."scam" was the word you used...trickery is slightly different

Honest mistake are not "playing games", we all made honest mistakes in the beginning, playing games implies you were aware of something you were doing was wrong

The wording changes to suit yourself or when trying to make a point..mmmm

•••
Well that's me out of popcorn!!
Someone comes here and asks for genuine advice and gets accused of being a spammer! really!

You should list some of your domains here in the "make offer" area of the forum, or as fixed price. Even if listed as fixed price you'll still get members trying to low ball you though.

Good luck on your ventures. Any other newbie questions, just send me a PM

•••
I will keep it short.
Is Ebay a good platform for selling domains ? No. Some people reported good buys on the occasion but the place is too cluttered imo.

Next point: domainers focus too much on the venues. What is important is the quality of the domains. If you have good domains end users will find them, and they will find you. They usually have an idea, or some ideas so they will check if the domains are available or not. If they are taken, they will either try something else, or visit the domain name just to see if it's being used. If it says the domain may be for sale, there is a chance you will get an offer. That's it.
It doesn't matter where you list them, you could as well set up your own placeholder pages and wait. The marketplaces are facilitators but somebody has to want to own your domain names.

Finally: I think you should do more research. I can't see how you are going to get any meaningful offers for the domain names you mentioned. They aren't good but don't take it personally: the majority of registered domains are worthless, 99%+ domains will never sell. You have to raise the bar significantly. Your domains are nothing special, there are millions of better domains still unsold because domain buyers are rare.
It's already hard enough to sell good .com and you will struggle to sell new extensions (aka fools' gold).
Good handregs are hard to find and sell unless you are very experienced.
My advice is to register nothing, just watch and read until you understand what sells, and why. Then you'll need to figure out where and how to buy quality names. Hint: you'll have competition. That means you'll need appropriate funding, it takes money to make money. Good expired names can be found for $20 on the occasion, but contested names can go significantly higher in auction.

Well that was not so short after all.

•••
Wow...well that escalated rather quickly! Fairly new here on the forum as well, so not much advice to give. Probably making quite a few mistakes myself. I just want to wish you the best of luck & keep on learning.

•••
I for one wish the OP good luck in her venture. A few of the responses here are a little OTT.

eBay is a good platform for selling most things -- however a domain is not one of them IMO. The USA eBay site is worth a try -- experiment and see what works best for you. eBay is OK for selling a $10 hand reg for $20 -- even that is a struggle and can use up much of your valuable time.

If you sell through other platforms the chances are you will need to pay for upgrades to get a result.

Best,
Paul

•••
Wow. I missed the comment "I know your history here. I know your type" anyone can see my unsold domain names that I had (or still have because I don't know how to remove posts yet) for sale at $1 and they are ALL unsold which is obviously why I am seeking advice and trying to gain knowledge where I need to! I don't know everything I never will but at least I know when to seek advice. This is definitely a learning curve in itself. Just last night I bid on google.io on Flippa. I thought WOW $1 starting bid on such a strong name....30 minutes later this user was suspended because the "L" in google.io was actually a capital 'i'. Now if you @AEProgram think that this is the type of behaviour that I will be bringing to this industry think again! I am at just as much risk as you as a buyer or a seller within an online industry. I am sorry for offending anyone with anything I posted out of frustration but I will not be walked over by someone who feels they can lash out at me like they know me. Thank you to those who have genuinely helped with advice and support and sorry for creating such a messy post it wasn't what I intended at all.
hey pivackernan, seems like everybody hates newbies.....don't let it bother you, they are just a bunch of fools stuck with a bunch of .coms and they see the end coming with full generics sooooo godforbid you have any extension otjher than a .com......its all part of the plot...
I have been at it for 3 years, have never sold one name and am mostly in shock when I look at a brandbucket with all those stupid made up worthless, no, not worthless, thats the shocking part, words that mean zip selling for 5000+ $ but they all have .com after them............the whole world is up side down

•••
No comment from me...just reading all this..interesting! And welcome to the new domainer!

•••
I have been at it for 3 years, have never sold one name
I guess you are doing something wrong... Not that selling names is easy but not one single sale ?

hey pivackernan, seems like everybody hates newbies.....don't let it bother you, they are just a bunch of fools stuck with a bunch of .coms
I'd rather be a fool who makes sales :)

•••
seems like everybody hates newbies
Nobody hates new domainers, and most people on the forum are extremely helpful.

The problem is that most new domainers need a lesson in humility, and by the time they realize that, most of them have given up because their approach didn't work.

I have been at it for 3 years, have never sold one name.

As previously stated; by the context of your post it sounds like that lesson on humility still hasn't kicked in after three years. It would almost take a concerted effort on your part not to sell a single domain over three years.

@pivackernan just keep reading the forum, and stay up on the new and current domaining trends.

•••
I have some success sales at eBay.
You can find end user there, but I suggest you not to list them in auction, buy it now with make offer is more suitable.
One of my domains sold there for 2k, while I have listed it for less price on other marketplaces like Sedo, Flippa, Afternic .... with No success.
Good luck.

•••
•••
Jesus...go and have a coffee...or something...first things first I have no guilt. I am selling at $1 reserve for a name I spent more than $1 on. 1.) Because I am new to domaining and want to practise and perfect my business skills with ethic from the start it will take me some time to fine tune everything I already know that - and I now want to do it without advice from people who obviously slept on the wrong side of the bed . I have sold a domain name the same way on Flippa for $1 reserve and I lost out on money (username pivackernan over there too) but I provided the best service I possibly could because I am in this for the enjoyment, to provide a service of the best possible standard and to learn along the way. What are you in this business for? To troll? Well go and troll where other trolls hang because so far I've received helpful advice here and on other platforms from great people who are also in this industry for the better of the work and not to disrupt life like some bully who never got packed a nice lunch for kindy today! I have submitted my domains today (which I mentioned in my previous comments) to all search engines and I WOULD NOT MENTION IT IN AN AD OTHERWISE! By the way the screenshot of this confirmation is attached for your reference. Please don't comment further, your advice is not appreciated at all because it reaks of someone who feels that maybe in the future I could be of some sort of threat to your business. I definitely won't be though but thats how I see it because its so unnecessary. I'm just looking for advice please and I do want it as you've stated above because I can then improve on what you've said... but really...tone it down. P.S I am in NZ where 'enquiries' is spelt correctly.

I loled.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back