IT.COM

information GDPR Questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

steely

Established Member
Impact
Hey domainers! I have some questions about the upcoming GDPR and how it affects WHOIS.

1) Is all the WHOIS information for domains disappearing completely? Or to be more precise, it will still exist, but it won't be visible to people. Will any of the field be visible? For example, I'm thinking of email address. Will there simply be nothing there, or will there be like a proxy email address, so that you can still reach the owner, but just won't be able to see their actual email address?

2) If there is literally no way to contact the owner (address, phone number, email address, etc..), how would a UDRP work? If there is no way to contact the owner of a domain......then.....??

3) If a domain is sold, how can confirmation of ownership change be verified if WHOIS is invisible? If using escrow, for example, an unscrupulous buyer could claim he/she never received a domain (even if he/she did). The transaction could be cancelled and funds returned to the buyer (who now also has the domain name!). Come to think of it, how did this previously work with a domain under WHOIS privacy? Maybe the same "method" would work now? Not sure what that it, though.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems to me, going forward from the May 25th there would be a big impact of GDPR regulations on domain aftermarket sales!!

Eager to know the experts' view on this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back