I've got several few domains. FYI

fy.fyi
GT.fyi
Nt.fyi
Cart.fyi
Server.fyi
webhosting.fyi

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My personal feelings towards FYI is that it is currently understated in the big scheme of things in regards to nTLDs.
Its not often that you have the ability to find and buy PREMIUM (I am talking real premium keywords... not the keywords that we have been lulled into believing are premium) AT reg. fee or barely above reg. fee.

The extension has meaning (at least in the states) and it takes very little imagination to build out the premium keywords that you can find in this extension. It seems to me to be a winning situation for low cost premium keywords.

It seems to have been mildly overlooked but those who took a few moments to look into it where able to find some very NICE and very PREMIUM keywords at cost or just above.

We already started a thread/discussion about FYI a little while back.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fyi-dicussion.879548/

Cheers

•••
For me there are a couple fatal flaws with this extension.

1) 99.1% of the world has no idea what "FYI" means
2) the renew prices start at $17 a year

I did not buy any. Good luck all

•••
For me there are a couple fatal flaws with this extension.

1) 99.1% of the world has no idea what "FYI" means
2) the renew prices start at $17 a year

I did not buy any. Good luck all

You make some great points and I debated (but I am no master) those questions with myself a while ago.
I have come to a conclusion and I will lay it out for you to see, maybe if you see things my way or maybe there is something that I am failing to include.

I have found that the United States accounts for about 5% of the world population, we account for about 11-12% of the internet users, and own the majority of domain names.
I want to give the exact numbers but I cannot find all of my charts that had these.
Anyway, the US accounts for a number of domain names greater then 100 million and was the majority domain owning country, followed by Germany, UK, France, Netherlands, Canada, and Russia.
The US and Europe accounted for 78% of all domains names (as found by Oxford internet study).
(going off of memory) I think the US owned somewhere around 35-40% of all domain names (thus making up the vast majority of domain name percentage.

So when I mulled this idea over some time ago (prior to the recent emergence of nTLDs that we are discussing here) I was thinking in terms of how extensions (in this case .CO and .INFO) would relate across the board.

Both extensions have fairly strong English connotations associated with them (company and information). I wound up going with .CO in which I made a fair chunk of change... but that is a different story.

I came to the conclusion that it really does not matter what the extension is but rather what the left of the dot is. I have come to this conclusion because I have seen the sales numbers of many domains in both extensions and the stronger the "KEYWORD" the better the sales price.
(Makes sense... right!)

Since then (and now with the nTLDs), I have been watching to see if it matters if the KEYWORD is RELATIVE to the extension. I am on the fence in this thought process because I can see added value in a domain name that incorporates the extension (example: car.club) but I can not see how it would hurt a domain name if it is not so clear of a tie in.
*CAVEAT* unless the extension has a strong meaning that would directly conflict with the keyword or otherwise have adverse connotations when paired with a given string of word(s)/keyword(s)

This brings me full circle on my thought process:
I put more emphasis in keywords then the extension but it is ever present that it must make some semblance of sense.
When I find an extension like FYI or WORK that offers premium keywords at reg fee (or damn close to it), I try to take advantage of those names.

I am less concerned with other countries making sense of the extension or knowing the "meaning" behind an extension for a couple of reasons.
1) Unless they are English speaking (native or as a second language), I have to assume that all of the names are foreign to other countries. (example: Net, 网, чистый, δίχτυ.... these are just words I grabbed off of google translate so I have no idea their accuracy), English, Chinese, Russian, Greek translation of net.
I assume that words like PRO, GURU, ONLINE, XYZ, CLUB, TOP... do or don't translate in the same manner. They are just accepted as is like .com and .net.
2) *Assuming* that the charts are correct, the US (with other English native language countries) lead the way in domain name ownership... less worried in this regard.

$20 for the renewal is a bit much but it is acceptable when you look at nTLDs as a whole.
.Global $80
.Club $12
.Work $9
.Coffee $30
.Xyz $13
.Ninja $20
.Click $8
.Top $14
.One $10

Its not the cheapest *BUT* it does allow you to grab premium keywords, many at reg. fee.

I grabbed one name "MOVIE.FYI" at reg. fee.
How often can you say that you can pick up the keyword "MOVIE" at reg. fee in any extension.
If it is not sold or held by the registry, then it is either for sale at a premium price OR is an some obscure extension that does not fit within the caveat listed above.

Just my thoughts. Right, wrong, or other... they are mine and you cant have them.
Well... if you are paying enough... I can sell them!

I hope that makes sense. Want to see what you think
Cheers

•••
Hello,

Personally, I don't like this TLD at all. I even prefer .WTF more than .FYI, as the first one at least is "spectacular".

But at least one .FYI has been sold at SEDO. You never know.

Last edited:
•••
I grabbed brandables.fyi

•••
Hello to everyone
What are your experiences about the new extension (dot) FYI

I've got several few domains. FYI

fy.fyi
GT.fyi
Nt.fyi
Cart.fyi
Server.fyi
webhosting.fyi

I really like this one and think it's a sleeper that will awaken sooner than later. All n, nn, are gone, might be a few bad nnn's left but most everything I key in is gone.

All L, LL are gone but you can find some good LLL's still available, not sure how long that will last. I'm going to grab a few LLL's tonight. FY, GT, NT are very nice IMO, I'd hold on to them.

I've looked at who has been grabbing the number .fyi and looks like many are from China. :D

•••
I just checked , fyi means " translation" in China .

•••
I would avoid at all costs. Stick to what we know. It works best.

•••
Yes of course , com is a king , but I grabbed few of them for my own project ) .

•••
I just checked , fyi means " translation" in China .

Yes I checked myself, "for reference only" and "for reference" is what I found. Basically the same as here in the U.S., "for your information".

•••
with .info in existence, "for your info" is redundant...

•••
with .info in existence, "for your info" is redundant...

Na, I disagree. .fyi is short and sweet and for those that have no clue what fyi means it becomes generic just like xyz, com, org etc.. Info is more direct with it's meaning, longer...

•••
This has to be on of the most overlooked extensions. There still are a lot of great keywords out there if anyone wants to take the time to look. I picked up weightloss.fyi today and a few others.

Last edited:
•••
This has to be on of the most overlooked extensions.

I agree completely. In the English speaking world, FYI is used in communications between people on a daily basis. I've loved this extension since the beginning, especially since it's only 3 characters and can represent pretty much any keyword left of the dot.

Hold, hold hold if you've got any!

A few of mine own favorites:

up/fyi
help/fyi
wellness/fyi
pricing/fyi

•••
•••
•••
•••
NVM.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hello,

Personally, I don't like this TLD at all. I even prefer .WTF more than .FYI, as the first one at least is "spectacular".

But at least one .FYI has been sold at SEDO. You never know.
well.... it looks like u grabbed USA.fyi ;)
why do u regd it if u dont like .fyi?:)

•••
•••
fyi is informal and thus not suitable for many businesses, it is limited to the English speaking world. it does not add any value to be able to add .fyi

with most keywords .fyi sounds a bit silly.

there is already an infinite amount of short and memorable and cheap 2L ccTDs and some competing nGTLDs

see .cx, .cc, .ws, .io etc. etc.

because there are so many alternatives, prices will be low and sales not common.

Last edited:
•••
•••
There's a big difference between cctld and gTLD!
I never invest in cctld

for some it is about the same, only that ccTLDs are shorter. many ccTLDs are used as generic extensions while being officially local TLDs.

almost all .co, .io, .ws are used as generics.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back