Dynadot

FYI Dicussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ChubbyDfat

Established Member
Impact
Seems that a couple of people have found some interest in this extension and I didn't see a discussion thread for it, so I thought I would make one.

I see that several people got some nice keywords for reg. fee (which is a nice change of events from most of the other extensions).

Lets see what people picked up for reg. fee.

Cheers

(Side question): Who purchased 8.fyi? Mad409? If so... Bravo Zulu buddy. Was that at reg?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems that a couple of people have found some interest in this extension and I didn't see a discussion thread for it, so I thought I would make one.

I see that several people got some nice keywords for reg. fee (which is a nice change of events from most of the other extensions).

Lets see what people picked up for reg. fee.

Cheers

(Side question): Who purchased 8.fyi? Mad409? If so... Bravo Zulu buddy. Was that at reg?

Thanks and yes I picked up 8.FYI. I see all the other single n.fyi are registered in China, glad I got it. It wasn't reg fee but rather $99.00 per year which isn't bad compared to other extensions.

Due to all the attention with 8.XYZ selling at around 82k and 8.CO at 115K I thought I'd start an auction to see if I could gain any interest with the name. It's probably too early for this but it doesn't hurt to throw it out there for a couple weeks and see what happens. I like the extension, think it's a sleeper that will gain exposure sooner than later.

If anyone wants to check out the auction it's listed below. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Thanks and yes I picked up 8.FYI. I see all the other single n.fyi are registered in China, glad I got it. It wasn't reg fee but rather $99.00 per year which isn't bad compared to other extensions.

Great pickup, great domain, and great timing. Coming off the recent series of *8* domains, I have a feeling that you are going to win this one.

I hope it all pans out for you.

One thing that I really like about this extension so far is the shear number of domain names that where made available (nearly all as far as I can tell) and a good majority of the premium names did NOT come with a premium price.
Those that did... the price was small (compared to other extensions... like you said) .

I hope to hear more from this extension as time passes.

Cheers.

•••
While "8" make sense in any extension (crazy Chinese) but I suspect on a list of extensions "most to least likely to success" .fyi will be somewhere near the bottom.
If you show it to normal people they would say: "WTH is fyi? sounds like a weird Swedish word".

•••
Was looking around and looks like all the LL.fyi domains are almost gone. I was just keying in anything random and they were all gone.

Anyway I wanted one LL.fyi, finally found one available: PD .fyi :xf.wink:

•••
If you show it to normal people they would say: "WTH is fyi? sounds like a weird Swedish word".

I don't know what country you live in but in the US pretty much everyone knows fyi means "for your information".

Of course the vast majority of people at this point won't get the fact that .fyi is an extension, get confused and think you mean fyi.com, which is understandable given that all this is new.

I personally don't have high hopes for this extension, I did register a few and have developed one. Time will tell but as for as .fyi sounding like a Swedish word, that has not been my experience when showing friends and family the .fyi site that I developed. They all got fyi means for your information, of course they still struggle with the fact a domain name can end in something other than .com even though they know of .org and .net.

Last edited:
•••
I would have registered many available .FYI names, but I feel like most people will find this particular extension very confusing, sort of like .ONL. Sure it means something, and if you think about it.. it's good. But most people don't think too deeply about domain name extensions like we do.

•••
This is my opinion so take it for what its worth (pretty much nothing).

I would hazard to say that the biggest problems when it comes to domain extensions stem from other domainers. Everyone has some baggage. Some domainers see value in nTLDs while others do not.

Who is right and who is wrong... who the hell knows.

At the end of the day, I am going to take the word of Google over the baggage of other domainers.
Google states that nTLDs will NOT count against you in SEO search criteria, then I see that as an opportunity to go out there and find the very best keyword that I can afford.

To break this down even further, I contend that there seems to be NO trickery (that you often seem to find in other extensions) when it comes to the release of FYI. You can debate what kind of merit (if any) the term FYI has but it should still have no effect on the search volume of your keyword.
In this case... pretty much all the premium keywords where made available at no (or very little) premium price. This is the reason why I was able to nab the keyword "Movie", and @Traveler was able to nab a few other keywords to include "Basketball" and "Hockey" (just to name a few) at reg. fee.

Lets be honest here... how simple is it to build an "information" site with such stunning keywords as "Movie", "Basketball", and "Hockey"? FYI is a generally recognized expression (here in the states) with regards to "INFORMATION".
Yeah... there is (dot)info... but with those kinds of KEYWORDS... most of us cant afford them.

movie.info Flippa $24,626 USD 2014-07-15
slots.info DomainNameSales $30,000 USD 2015-01-14
diamonds.info Afternic $20,000 USD 2014-02-19
games.info Flippa $20,300 USD 2013-06-19

I take the stance that the ability to pickup such outstanding keywords at reg. fee, will likely lead to profits and therefore are worth speculating in.

I will leave it up to everyone else to debate the merits of the extension. I am interested in the left of the dot because KEYWORDS are the most important factor regardless the extension.

*CAVEAT* unless the extension has a strong meaning that would directly conflict with the keyword or otherwise have adverse connotations when paired with a given string of word(s)/keyword(s)

In the end, these new TLDs are not going away. More and more show up every day and sooner or later they will be part of our culture. I much rather have a top of the line premium keyword in a given extension, then a second tier, 3rd rate keyword(s), in a extension that domainers consider better.

Parting thought
: Keywords are at a premium in most extensions for a reason. Most of us can not afford the premium keywords even in new extensions.
A few examples for my keyword "MOVIE" are:
Movie.online $15,000 per year
Movie.website $7,500 per year
Movie.site $15,000 per year
Movie.space $7,500 per year
Movie.tech $15,000 per year
Movie.events $600 per year
Movie.work $150 per year (which I am a fan of this extension... still more then reg. fee).
Movie.biz $23,000 one time
And the list can go on and on...

Premium words are premium words regardless of the extension!

Just my .98 cents (inflation is getting out of control).
I hope that makes sense.

Cheers

•••
Grab your two LL.fyi if you can find then. I've found 2 found, it took a massive search! :xf.smile:

Reg fee LL.fyi, sweet IMO.

•••
•••
Not sure if it's a good pickup but I grabbed brandables.fyi

•••
@mad409
How did that 8.FYI auction go. I saw the bid ended with 23,950.00 USD
What was fun is that your auction was in one of the domaining(dot)com emails.

Just wanted to do a follow up on this to see how things turned out.

All the best.

Cheers

•••
@mad409
How did that 8.FYI auction go. I saw the bid ended with 23,950.00 USD
What was fun is that your auction was in one of the domaining(dot)com emails.

Just wanted to do a follow up on this to see how things turned out.

All the best.

Cheers

Didn't sell, reserve not met. Maybe I was being a bit greedy but I figured if 8.xyz could sell for almost 82K this ones just as good IMO. Although my reserve wasn't as high as the xyz sale, actually it was close to selling.

I did have almost 1300 views but advertised it pretty hard too.

I'll hold hit, it's one of my better ones and will sell it sooner than later.

•••
I'll hold hit, it's one of my better ones and will sell it sooner than later.
Bravo Zulu... you are more man then I.

Considering the price you paid... I would have taken $5,000 for that name and considered myself a winner.
I see that as 50x your money (or in your case 230x your money) and it is very rare that you see those kinds of sales number especially given that it is less then a month old.

The higher the sales number, the better it will look for the extension as a whole so I commend you for sticking to your guns. I would have wussed out and sold it with a smile.

Cheers buddy and keep us informed when you put it back up for auction.

•••
Bravo Zulu... you are more man then I.

Considering the price you paid... I would have taken $5,000 for that name and considered myself a winner.
I see that as 50x your money (or in your case 230x your money) and it is very rare that you see those kinds of sales number especially given that it is less then a month old.

The higher the sales number, the better it will look for the extension as a whole so I commend you for sticking to your guns. I would have wussed out and sold it with a smile.

Cheers buddy and keep us informed when you put it back up for auction.

Got a great offer today through my Website, if it pans out I'll update the thread. You never know about this kind of stuff, waiting for their reply.

•••
Grab your two LL.fyi if you can find then. I've found 2 found, it took a massive search! :xf.smile:

Reg fee LL.fyi, sweet IMO.
May I ask , where is the best place to sell this type of extension ? Sedo ? Flippa ?

Thanks

•••
May I ask , where is the best place to sell this type of extension ? Sedo ? Flippa ?

Thanks

Great question!
The place only has a little to do with the sales aspect.
If you are asking about a place that you can put the name and forget about it (put no foot work into getting it sold) with the hopes of selling it quickly... then you are likely SOL.

Sedo is a common place to park a domain name with a sales tag on it.
Much like parking a car on the side of the road, you are limited to the traffic that drives by it to get the word out.
Chances of you coming across that one person who is looking for your type of car at your price range... slim but it could happen.

My advice (for what it is worth), would be to NOT ONLY park the domain at one of the sites (Sedo would do just fine) but to also actively promote the domain name. Do the footwork that it requires to let people know that this domain name is for sale.

Many ways of doing that and some requires upfront $$$ but the turn around is that you get more eyes on your domain name and increase the chance of finding that one who is looking for your name.

Now, everything else aside... only great domain names have a real chance of selling particularly in nTLDs since they are still so new.

Price your name right, and get eyes on it and you will increase your chances greatly of selling your name.

Just my $1.16 (this inflation is getting out of control)!

Cheers

•••
•••
•••
•••
2 years later and namebio doesn't show a single sale.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back