IT.COM

Frontpage vs Dreamweaver

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vichousefc

Account Closed
Impact
Hi All,

Can you get a more professional effective website using dreamweaver or frontpage? Which one is the best just for designing sites, not all the database stuff.

Thanks

Carl

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dreamweaver is the best for almost everything, Frontpage kinda sucks compared to dreamweaver.

•••
Not to put too a nasty tone to this, but professional webmasters tend to look down on those who exclusively use Frontpage. It tends to be a mark of a beginner. Dreamweaver is much prefered by those who make their living designing webpages. As a note, many hardcore web coders use some simpler tools like Homesite and finish the work manually: Frontpage and even sometimes Dreamweaver will give breaks in certain browsers.

•••
ComDriver said:
Dreamweaver is the best for almost everything, Frontpage kinda sucks compared to dreamweaver.

Agreed. I develop all of my websites using dreamweaver.

FrontPage is good for beginners who even don't know html, it has powerful features and you won't need to know html if you want to create a simple site. But if you are going to develop professional websites and if you have some html knowledge, I recommend you to use dreamweaver. You will find it more useful for sure.

•••
too funny.. use frontpage 2003 and ignore those who still think we all should just be wrtting code all day

these are the same people who think you should still be working in DOS mode.

•••
I did much tech support for an ISP some years ago--I can assure you we groaned when we got calls from Frontpage users. We had very few "I'm not sure how to use my mouse" calls from Dreamweaver users. We had no calls from poeple who understood coding. I'm not advocating handcode, but frankly, if you can't read and understand what the code is doing, you shouldn't portray yourself a "webmaster." Diagnosing even simple burps requires some knowledge of what you're doing.

There are no instant experts.

As a note, that ISP still hosts a very active art website--nearly 30% of the hits come from a browser other than IE. Frontpage breaks in nearly all of them.

•••
bfrizz you're talking years ago..and I would agree FP sucked ..

but FP 2003 is a gem..it produces clean code it has 4 views , html , design split view and preview which makes it perfect for those learning to how to create websites..becuase they can actually watch the code being created as they work in split veiw.

You dont have to be a code master to be a webmaster..it's the same arguement from 15 years ago when graphical browsers started popping up and the same super geeks would tell everyone how bad graphical browsers are that no true professionals would ever use them..

There really isnt any need to write code all day for MOST webmasters ..hell I'm far to busy building websites to sit and type in code...give me a tool that speeds up that process and that's what FP 2003 does.

Hey I respect guys that are professional code writers..but most webmasters really dont need to write code all day ....it is important that they understand code (and FP 2003 split view is a great tool for learning as you work) but not necessary to actually write code all day.

•••
Notepad.

:)
P.S. Dont work in dos mode! ;)

•••
I think frontpage is for newbies of children, I found it very basic and limited. I started off with dreamweaver and few years ago.
Now I use various editors for differnt projects, such as php designer, dreamweaver, and a a seo software that was a editor buit in.

•••
been fantastic to read your thoughts, better get myself a copy of dreamweaver!

thank you all!

•••
•••
vichousefc said:
been fantastic to read your thoughts, better get myself a copy of dreamweaver!

thank you all!

Good choice. Good luck developing your sites :)

•••
Dreamweaver all the way :) You can make simple websites, or advanced dynamic websites powered by MySQL db's and php or other combinations.

You made a wise decision! Good luck!!

•••
Ah, the old Dreamweaver vs Frontpage discussion, eh ;) Well, I must say, you have made the right decision in choosing Dreamweaver, it is the more powerful and versatile solution.

Frontpage is great if you want to do a simple site that has a few tables here and there and a bit of text, but, should you want to do PHP development or advanced dynamic web designs in Dreamweaver it'd be like jumping out of a plane without a parachute ;)

Go for Dreamweaver, whether you want to do a basic site or an advanced dynamic web design powered by PHP / MySQL, like ThreeD says, you will be fine :)

Dreamweaver is quite expensive, but, its worth it :) :)

•••
Dreamweaver is the best i think.

•••
dreamweaver has a split view too :)

i prefer dreamweaver, true i havnt used fp 2003, but i cant imagine it being much better than fp xp :)

•••
Frontpage is made by Microsoft, enough said.

•••
I agree on this.
Frontpage is best used if u r a beginner with basic html knowledge.
but when u want to do more advanced scripting and website designs, u'll want to use Dreamweaver instead.

•••
REAL professionals move the nodes around on the hard drive with magnets :D

Lol, j/k. Real pros code the design manually in Visual Studio .net or some other professional coding environment. Not one, though, that does the work for you like Dreamweaver or Frontpage. I look down upon both. I use PHP designer, which handles an ARRAY of languages: www.mpsoftware.dk

•••
Well, if I were to choose between one of them I would go with Dreamweaver but recently i fell in love with Wordpad :lol:

SW

•••
i definatly prefare dreamweaver but if you don't have it use notepad lol then it comes to frontpage lol

•••
I use Adobe GoLive and Dreamweaver (Adobe now owns Macromedia-so kiss most applications goodbye as Adobe will more than likely integrate many of the Macromedia features into their existing Product line)

•••
i would say dreamweaver is more powerful and better. frontpage is kind of for bignners

•••
•••
My advice is Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is almost good for everything. Its a great program.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back