ATTN REGISTRARS! it.com domain sunrise starts on Jan 2nd! GET READY NOW

discuss From $125 purchase to $17,500 sale for a two-word .co name

NameSilo

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 16.16.37.png


I find this one rather interesting so I decided to share my journey B-)

I bought the domain in May 2019.
Listed it for sale at $9,888.

On July 21st, 2020 I reduced the price to $8,999, and the very next day I received a legit $5,300 offer from a North American company. Without quoting any prices I asked them to bring the offer up a bit. Received zero responses to my "counter" email as well as on multiple follow-ups.

As a coincidence, that same summer I received a $3,500 offer for another .com domain that was priced at $7,xxx. And I also received zero responses on my proposal to increase an offer.

I was really pissed off. :xf.eek:

So I raised the prices on both names so that the next half-the-BIN offers would bring me what I want. :laugh: The .co one was priced at $15,000.

On Dec 20th, 2020 I received a new offer of $1,000 from the EU. They used some obscure email but I was able to track them down via "Name + My domain + Country" in Google. It was some EU company and they had just registered their company a couple of months prior to submitting an offer. So it was another genuine lead for the domain. We had some email exchange where I essentially told them I turned down a $5K offer back in summer and I'm surely not going to accept a lower offer, especially for a $15K domain name.

Radio silence until Jan 8th, 2021... Then the "EU guy" came back with another offer.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 16.52.31.png


I replied I might consider a 10K offer if we close it in January, but he said they're not ready to commit just yet.

I gave them some time so that I don't look desperate and followed up ~2 weeks later. He said they "are looking into other names due to the price of Keyword.co as well as 'keyword' being a fairly crowded name already".

A week later they replied, "We have bought another domain."

Sad...

The good news for me was that I liquidated some domains for the total amount of around 15K via DNWE as I needed cash to start a small local business. So I was upset but okay B-) And because of the offers I knew at some point, there will be another company that would want the name.

Finally, in April 2021 I received a 4K NET offer via Afternic broker:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.17.03.png


I replied "Thanks for the offer but it’s nowhere near my asking price, so I’m going to pass altogether."

Next week I got another one:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.19.23.png


I should mention that at this point, I was pretty confident in the domain's value, and I also wanted to get well above 10K for the domain. Otherwise why I declined 8K in January? For an additional 2K in April? Doesn't make much sense, right? So I decided to stick with a BIN price of $15,000 because I would only receive ~$12,000 NET upon sale.

I replied to a broker "After giving it some thought, I’ve decided to stick to the BIN price. 12K NET is the lowest I want for the domain and I can’t justify the price reduction." And right after sending an email, I updated the price to $17,500 on all marketplaces including my own landers, because I wanted the buyers to come to me directly and I could ask for ~15K NET. :$::-D I did this a few times with other names and it never worked for me... until recently.

Two weeks later, at the end of April, I was in the position where I wanted to raise additional cash to buy some expensive stuff.

I listed a few domains at DNWE, and I also reached out to the Afternic broker (amongst a few other past leads for other domains):

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.31.59.png


If you have read this far, thank you!

Now please pause for a moment and ask yourself, what kind of reply would you expect from the broker? Buyers no longer interested?
They can only offer that same amount?
Congrats, the buyers have accepted your offer?

Considering all the above, I bet you wouldn't expect this kind of reply, wouldn't you??? Neither did I!

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.35.36.png


:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

The happy end!

Thanks to the Afternic broker, who I assume touched base with buyers without mentioning I was willing to take less, the buyers just pulled the trigger on whatever the BIN was at the time. Just my thoughts, I haven't asked the broker, but I praised his abilities anyway. :xf.wink:

Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.
 
110 0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Impact
5,459
Congrats on the great sale. Am I correct in assuming this was a premium hand reg?
 

YairDD

I'm cool, I think?Top Contributor
Impact
4,120
The broker is a great salesperson. Congrats!
 

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987

BrandVenue

BrandVenue.comEstablished Member
Impact
1,745
Congrats. Afternic brokers work really good probably that's the reason I don't see many people complains for their high 20% commission. The domain name is also valuable too even though it's in .co and 2 keyword but you also did show some courage with sticking to bin price and rejecting $7k - $8k offer from EU guy and $6500 NET from Afternic broker ( $6500 net means sales price would be around $8k).
 

Samer

Top Contributor
Impact
21,348
Congrats. Afternic brokers work really good probably that's the reason I don't see many people complains for their high 20% commission. The domain name is also valuable too even though it's in .co and 2 keyword but you also did show some courage with sticking to bin price and rejecting $7k - $8k offer from EU guy and $6500 NET from Afternic broker ( $6500 net means sales price would be around $8k).

afternic brokers ^^
 

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
Congrats. Afternic brokers work really good probably that's the reason I don't see many people complains for their high 20% commission. The domain name is also valuable too even though it's in .co and 2 keyword but you also did show some courage with sticking to bin price and rejecting $7k - $8k offer from EU guy and $6500 NET from Afternic broker ( $6500 net means sales price would be around $8k).
Thanks.

The domain is not an ordinary two-word .co, for sure. 100+ extensions registered, and what is more important (and also the reason why I set almost 10K BIN initially) is that all main extensions are developed websites.

Only .ai was available and it was listed at 35K last year. Prior to increasing the price I double-checked what my competition is doing and I noticed the price of a .ai version was reduced to $19,500, so I set $17,500 to be slightly under (just in case the buyers are somewhat connected to AI). My original intention was to set a 20K BIN.
 

DomainBarracksRob

Top Contributor
Impact
7,787
Congrats! This is a spectacular read thanks for sharing and well done on your end and brokers

Btw I love .co

I’ve sold almost and equal amount of .co as I have coms

My last most recent sale is a .co


Congrats again on this amazing 2 word co
 

ddesigns

24Designs.in - Web Development and more...Top Contributor
Impact
1,125
Great sale. Congratulations.. Keep inspiring..
 

topdom

Top Contributor
Impact
1,526
Congrats. I really don't understand any part of this story. It doesn't make any sense. If it was .com it would make sense. Even if it was .com, maybe I would accept 10K.
 
Last edited:

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
Congrats! This is a spectacular read thanks for sharing and well done on your end and brokers

Btw I love .co

I’ve sold almost and equal amount of .co as I have coms

My last most recent sale is a .co


Congrats again on this amazing 2 word co

Thanks!

I owned ~75 .co's during the last couple of years, and my total acquisition cost is ~6K without counting renewals (around 2K, I guess).

But I only sold four of them. That's 4 of 75 during 2.5 years.

onetrust - $499
redbit - $1988
protech - $4785
and this one for $17500

I probably price them too high, though...
 

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
Congrats. I really don't understand any part of this story. It doesn't make any sense. If it was .com it would make sense. Even if it was .com, maybe I would accept 10K.
Thanks

Maybe, you should re-read it then? :ROFL:

Just check the keywords in whatever services you use... dofo, expireddomains, Linkedin... It will give you some idea on why I priced it at 10K (anything above that was based on the demand and offers received!)

It's an outlier sale imo, but I'm not an idiot to turn down 5K and 8K offers on random domains... :xf.laugh:
 

Branded Domains

Be YouTop Contributor
Impact
14,065
Congrats......
That is an amazing sale.
Best
 

Skyvisum

Top Contributor
Impact
2,887
Congratulations . This was a fun read .I am happy it ended well and always go with your guts 😉. 👍
 

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
Congratulations . This was a fun read .I am happy it ended well and always go with your guts 😉. 👍

Thanks! This whole journey was very entertaining (and sometimes stressful) for me too, especially the last bit, that’s why I decided to share it rather than just posting the sale price. :xf.wink:
 
Last edited:
Impact
3,698
Thats great news for you and am really pleased.

I have 4 keyword + hub .io's and have received offers on 2 of these the last six months.

Well done!
 

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
Thats great news for you and am really pleased.

I have 4 keyword + hub .io's and have received offers on 2 of these the last six months.

Well done!
Thanks!

I wish you well with those names. :xf.wink:
 

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Contributor
Impact
9,610
You should check with your wife.
You may get $175,000 instead of $17,500
 

uzver

Established Member
Impact
1,987
You should check with your wife.
You may get $175,000 instead of $17,500
For anything above 5K I don’t even check with my wife until the deal is confirmed and funds sent :xf.smile: