IT.COM

.info Friendly .info Debate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys...

I know some you of domain buyers get pretty desperate, in relation to missing the boat etc, trust me i know the feeling

but :imho: i feel that the .info domain name is rubbish, if i search google and i see a info domain name, i skip it simply because it looks spammish (hard to explain, it just looks like spam!!!),

i could see reg'ing some really good common names with it, but nothing further

i would be interested in hearing some of you .info DN buyers' opinions as to what value you see in this domain name? :imho: it is total crap

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As many have said and will say again. The internet is all about information so what extension would you say fit this better? Think of it this way. One or my favorite restaurants in town is a small brick building with very little windows. If I judged the food by the looks of the place I would never go there but I don't. I guess what I'm trying to say here is the old saying "Never judge a book by it's cover." Because of your preconceived notion "It looks like spam" you might be missing out on exactly what you were looking for.

•••
This month, I've sold 2 .info domains for $1200 total, including one here at NamePros for $500. I've had several more similar priced sales of .info this year, and my buyers write me regularly to see if I have any more. Not bad for a "total crap" "rubbish" extension.

Granted, I'm talking about good quality names, not the typical freebies that were registered during the .info promotions. Good quality .info domains are easily as valuable as any other new extension, and in some cases they are more valuable.

Some of the notable .info sales reported to DNJournal this year....

Best.info -- $20,880
Musical.info -- $13,936
Maschinenbau.info -- $7,772
Broker.info -- $5,000
Adventure.info -- $4,708
Pauschalreisen.info -- $4,507
Physician.info -- $4,150
Degrees.info -- $3,800
Pauschalreise.info -- $3,606
GEP.info -- $3,576
Attest.info -- $3,559
New-York.info -- $3,500
Science.info -- $3,272

Etc.... etc... the list goes on. As with any other extension, some countries favor them more than others.

Domain sales aside, I think the .info extension is a excellent development opportunity. The word "info" is recognized worldwide, and it makes a great fit for many types of sites. I think eventually we might see .info take it's place right alongside .org as a respected and trusted resource and information space on the web.

•••
I disagree. .info only seems like a "spammy" name because it was offered for free last year. Now that all of the names are going to need to be renewed, a lot of the names that people just reg'd for SERP will most likely be dropped.

While .com is the strongest ext and always will be, .info is perfect for websites that aren't looking to have a COMMERCIAL look (original intention of .com).

•••
digidogstudios said:
Hey guys...

I know some you of domain buyers get pretty desperate, in relation to missing the boat etc, trust me i know the feeling

but :imho: i feel that the .info domain name is rubbish, if i search google and i see a info domain name, i skip it simply because it looks spammish (hard to explain, it just looks like spam!!!),

i could see reg'ing some really good common names with it, but nothing further

i would be interested in hearing some of you .info DN buyers' opinions as to what value you see in this domain name? :imho: it is total crap
Thems Fighting words,
I purchased 1100 in the last week, not cheap Freebies.
I have seen some lousy .com's as well .
There is an old saying about "Judging BOOKs by their Covers"
.infos' (quality ones) are quite useful and can be made into very popular websites

•••
•••
I like .infos very much. I use them for information websties (what else :P) and they are very cheap :D

•••
I've sold .info domains for more than $10,000 past time, (inc. broker.info)
and some domains that I sold for XXX were registered during the free .info duration last year,
I think .info is not a rubbish TLD, opposite, it is a goldmine to me. :laugh:

Last edited:
•••
I just sold one, (see sig), so now I can go out and buy somemore. :p :laugh:

•••
Man I am regretting missing the free .info domains :(

Ah well

Ive sold 3-4 .info but for 10$+

considering reg fee is 1.99

thats a nice profit for a beginner like me

•••
I have yet to sell any of my .infos but I am buying them all the time. They get good parking traffic and I like the descriptive sense of the extension. Universal and timeless. This extension will be a staple for the online community in the years to come, IMO.

•••
Well I am a big fan of .info and will continue to look for some "good ones" wish me luck :D

•••
mellowmasher said:
Well I am a big fan of .info and will continue to look for some "good ones" wish me luck :D
Wishing you Good Luck ,Michelle
I am grabbing all the good ones, Like
HateDating.info

•••
Barefoottech said:
Wishing you Good Luck ,Michelle
I am grabbing all the good ones, Like
HateDating.info

lol :hearts:

I just wish they didn't go to auction and get grabbed by the rich fish :yell:

•••
I have a few good ones that I intend to keep renewing until I get a good offer on. There are a few others I will be dropping soon though.

•••
i've never liked .infos because they seem cheap. but then again, there are some good ones out there. so we should accpet that fact.

•••
.INFO is great for content sites, IMO. You even get the added bonus of having "info" as a keyword in the url.

They are also a cheap and convenient way to create "mini sites" and conduct search engine optimization experiments.

Obviously, .INFO names look spammy when they're used for ecommerce and sales sites, but I think that, when used properly, .INFO can be quite a useful extension.

•••
azt said:
... .info is perfect for websites that aren't looking to have a COMMERCIAL look (original intention of .com).

As far as I know .com stands for commercial.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back