IT.COM

discuss Found an Amazingly Good Landing Page

NameSilo
Watch
Hi, I stumbled on this the other day. It's probably the best for sale lander I have ever seen as far as both landing page content and good graphics are concerned: http://www.rates.best/

It's a Wix made page, don't know how it was done, made by who, a template or not, or if the lander can be customized and sold. All I know it is excellent, imo.

any opinions?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got so distracted by all the confusing content, I forgot that I wanted to buy the domain.

•••
•••
Hi, I stumbled on this the other day. It's probably the best for sale lander I have ever seen as far as both landing page content and good graphics are concerned: http://www.rates.best/

It's a Wix made page, don't know how it was done, made by who, a template or not, or if the lander can be customized and sold. All I know it is excellent, imo.

any opinions?

my opinion is you try to promote .best nTLD

please don't think people are stupid

Last edited:
•••
So bad...

Too much content, a very unflattering "act now" type pitch with the pricing.

I learned something a while back that I can share with the class.

The #1 salesman for a domain is the BUYER. The buyer already has their DREAM in mind, why are you getting in the way with aggressive sales?

You don't need to sell someone on a dream they already sold to themselves.

Name a price, fluff up their dreams slightly, then be patient.

All this landing pages tells me is that you WANT to sell this domain, and have put quite a bit of effort into selling the domain. Puts you in the sales position that you don't want to be.

Keep it simple, keep it short, close the deal.

IMO

•••
The topic of landing pages/sites is an important one. Personally I believe, especially for high priced domains sold to organizations as opposed to individuals, it may be important to provide a wealth of supporting information. That being said, I also agree with those who say that too much or too strongly can just seem desperate, and see how some view this site in that light.

I think the most effective lander/site will plant a seed in the mind of the potential buyer that allows them to see the relevance of the name, while not confusing with too much information. That more detailed case needs to be there, perhaps even somewhere on the landing site, but not overwhelm or confuse.

Of course any lander must do the central job of clearly providing critical information while building trust. I continue to like the Undeveloped ones from this perspective, although realize some many like more image rich mini sites.

An interesting question is whether the type of lander that is effective depends on the niche. I expect so. I imagine the site effective with an artist is different from a big law firm.

Bob

this O.P. is not interested to learn about Landing Pages

it's meant to promote the crap .best nTLD

•••
yes, it is somewhat involved but if you are in the market to spend 69k I think you would want to read it..
I think that's a fallacy. Someone looking to spend that much on a domain name will do their research, yes. But it will come from other, more objective sources.

I think having this much content on a landing page looks a bit desperate.

Also... I'm not sure it projects the right image to use a free website builder to promote a 70K domain name.

Last edited:
•••
Nothing says professional domain seller like "this site was designed by WIX'.

•••
•••
Hi, I stumbled on this the other day. It's probably the best lander I have ever seen as far as both landing page content and good graphics are concerned: http://www.rates.best/

any opinions?
i liked more Persona.com lander or Atlas.com lander..
this lander is bit confusing ... i didnt liked it alot...

•••
@namemarket

You are too late for April fool. The page is awful but worse is your pretence not to have any association with it. Just be straight with people - you lose credibility otherwise.

•••
Hi, I stumbled on this the other day. It's probably the best for sale lander I have ever seen as far as both landing page content and good graphics are concerned: http://www.rates.best...
For your sake, I really hope this is just a primitive and very transparent sales pitch of your own domain... otherwise you have more serious problems!

One of the worst landers ever! Hard to believe anybody could screw up so badly using Wix! :banghead:

And pitching a supposedly high premium domain, leading with a "Made using Wix" banner borders on, well... insanity, mental health issues :xf.cry:

I'm actually partial to dot.best. Like @Bob Hawkes, I see interesting possibilities. Unlike him and others, however, my positive outlook is focused strictly on development and positioning of minisites, not selling .best domains. @namemarket is unlikely to sell his rates.best for $690, let alone $69,000! :ROFL:

Another words, I see great potential rewards in developing my PressConference.best, but don't expect any interest in anyone buying it as is! As opposed to, say... PressConference.com I'd sold for $2,000+ some 15 years ago! :xf.wink:

Full disclosure: I hold about 100 .best domains myself... maybe sounds like a lot, but it barely moves the needle vis a vis my 4,000 .com's. It's an experiment together with another hundred or so of assorted other nTLD's I've recently invested in...

Last edited:
•••
Like many already mentioned, I think this post is a very dishonest try to promote the name, which is really a shame, given the community here is very supportive and I am sure people would've given advice and honest opinions if it was just asked straight - here is my page, what are your thoughts.

In terms of design and content it is painful:) And as someone already said, the free template by wix with the banner on top doesn't really instil confidence, even if it was better designed.

Re. content on landers, we design landers for premium names and so we constantly work on testing and improving results with those. I understand the notion of "don't distract the potential buyer" but potential buyers now are not what they used to be 20 years ago. I was looking at my box with serials this morning and at the back there are all the ingredients, a short story about the brand, pictures of the owners and their first factory from the 60s with short message from them, info about why are those serials good for me, info about how their producer is responsible with ecology etc. etc. Basically there is more info to get me educated, comfortable and convince me that I am making a good choice spending $3 on those serials than there is on the majority of domain sales pages and they are asking anything between couple of thousand to millions of dollars.

Like someone mentioned above, people do care and people do want to know, so if you don’t give them the information and answer their questions one of two things is gonna happen.

One - they are just going to go « what?? $$$ for a domain? are you crazy! » and move on. And you can blame them all you like and call them stupid, but how were they supposed to know what is a domain at all, how is getexample.lala different from example.com, what benefits will a good domain bring to their business and so on?

And two - they will go do some research and find what? You think they will find all the domainer talks and forums praising good domains? No they won’t. Cose they are not domainers. They will find marketing experts and « experts », and SEO gurus, and consultants etc that in the most common case either don’t talk about domains at all or say the domain doesn’t matter too much, they will find discussions where people blame domain owners for being « evil squatters » and a bunch of discussions on quora and the likes where you have 1-3 posters (usually domainers) trying to defend the case of why you should spend on a good name and the rest going « oh it’s crazy, don’t do it, you can do so many things with that cash for your business ». Run a search for "should I spend a lot on domain? Should I buy a premium domain?" and see what you get.

So sure, the potential buyer will get informed, the question is where and what will they learn. And you don’t need to just throw empty praise for your particular domain at them, you can share data that is factual, opinions of other people who have first hand experience with buying a premium domain etc. see Lool.com for example (it is for lease but case still stands - we have a lot of information there on educating the visitor about premium domains). Furniture.world above is pretty cool too. With your landing pages you are in control of what they can potentially learn. And that might not be the case in another 5-10 years but for now, the overall info you will find on the net as an outsider to this industry is not great. Which leads to my next point.

Another thing I think is worth mentioning, as an industry and as a community we need to be supportive of each other. At least that is my logic. So if every visitor to a lander we produce comes away more aware of the benefits of a good domain, knowing more about domain names in general, even if they don’t buy that particular domain name that is still beneficial to the industry as a whole and actually to that person too. You will be surprised at the number of business owners and even branding and naming professionals, who have 0 idea about domain names, and that benefits nobody. There are some brokers and domain owners out there doing a great job on that but nowhere near enough. So this I think should be a conscious and joint effort because educated buyers will benefit everyone in the industry.

•••
I was more interested in the content than the domain.

Really dont like the .BEST extension too. Cant imagine paying $69k for that domain. Definitely not worh $199k after June 30th.

If I had $69k laying around I could buy a killer .com, not this mess.

Last edited:
•••
Wix blows imo, forces you to be part of their club like social networks. There are plenty of one page html websites available for free. You can gut out the nicely commented html sections you don’t want to use. Populate it with your photos and some content, takes an hour. Here are a bunch.

https://colorlib.com/wp/free-one-page-website-templates/

•••
I like to create my own sales landers with a Buy Now link to undeveloped.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Terrible! I assume this your own page you promote?

•••
Are we being whamboozled? This is literally one of the worst landing pages I've ever seen.

It looks like somebody with no web design background put it together. Yes, I see that they're using Wix (and not even paying for it because you can see the ugly banner up top), but that doesn't excuse mashing up a bunch of hot garbage on a page to try and sell a sub-par domain name for high five figures...

•••
We will have to agree to disagree on the 5 figures. If I was a mortgage broker, bank credit card lender, commercial loan brokerage, personal loan or small loans firm with funds to spend I would buy rates.best right away (PS 5 figures can be as low as 10k not necessarily 69k).

The few sales you see in .best are anomalies, they are not something to measure the value of the extension by. You need a proven track record and years of data before you can ever attempt to place a real value on an extension. Dot com and some of the older extensions have that data and you can confidently invest 5 figures in a proper domain. Speculating and suggesting that a new extension is worth that based upon a few sales is a dangerous proposition which could lead to a lot of headaches and some dramatic losses.

headache-awareness.png

•••
•••
If you put a tuxedo on a goat it's still a goat (in this case the tuxedo is more like a sweatpants

@namemarket No offence, but member since 2003, one would say you have seen better

•••
•••
In a long post with many good points @Tatiana Bonneau says the following which is I think an important message to domain investors.
Re. content on landers, we design landers for premium names and so we constantly work on testing and improving results with those. I understand the notion of "don't distract the potential buyer" but potential buyers now are not what they used to be 20 years ago. I was looking at my box with serials this morning and at the back there are all the ingredients, a short story about the brand, pictures of the owners and their first factory from the 60s with short message from them, info about why are those serials good for me, info about how their producer is responsible with ecology etc. etc. Basically there is more info to get me educated, comfortable and convince me that I am making a good choice spending $3 on those serials than there is on the majority of domain sales pages and they are asking anything between couple of thousand to millions of dollars.

I would not expect to walk into a car dealership and not be able to walk away with a glossy brochure that made the case for the vehicles, showed me its specs, etc. However for many domains there is either no information or simply some boilerplate bullet points about domains in general (which is fine, just not enough in my opinion).

Yes, serious potential buyers will do their own research, but by not starting the information process we are giving up the opportunity to start the case for this domain name. Thanks Tatiana for a well thought out and expressed argument.

Bob

•••

any opinions?

HeHe.... seriously?

Straight template site and I actually found it quite confusing.

And talk about sloppy links, have they ever heard of subdomains, folders, or URL shorteners?

Picture0009.png

•••
The topic of landing pages/sites is an important one. Personally I believe, especially for high priced domains sold to organizations as opposed to individuals, it may be important to provide a wealth of supporting information. That being said, I also agree with those who say that too much or too strongly can just seem desperate, and see how some view this site in that light.

I think the most effective lander/site will plant a seed in the mind of the potential buyer that allows them to see the relevance of the name, while not confusing with too much information. That more detailed case needs to be there, perhaps even somewhere on the landing site, but not overwhelm or confuse.

Of course any lander must do the central job of clearly providing critical information while building trust. I continue to like the Undeveloped ones from this perspective, although realize some many like more image rich mini sites.

An interesting question is whether the type of lander that is effective depends on the niche. I expect so. I imagine the site effective with an artist is different from a big law firm.

Bob

•••
Get your daily dose of cringe!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back