Dynadot

information For Newbies Only #5

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
Just want to share mistakes that Newbies normally make from my experience - Do not attack. Remember this one is for Newbies Only.

1. Many Domainers are not from English speaking countries so check spelling before register or buy a name. The most mistakes from Newbies are putting two words together. It may sound good but it will have no meaning. Ex: GreenDick.com, BalloonVagina.com...
2. Stay away from Brandeable Names - These names mean nothing unless a Company spent lot of money to promote and make it a Brand: Ex: Godaddy, Fabulous, Dynadot... These names have nothing to do with Domain Names.
3. Stay away from Current Trend. You will waste money if you are getting in the current Trend as you are limited your Market. Beside, eventually the Current Trend will die down. Some of the trends are: NFT, Meta, Crypto... There are some good sales on the current trend but the percentage you can sell them is like 1/10,000
4. Stay away from Geo Names. Why limit your Market to a city or state when you can pick a name that will be sold to a bigger market. Ex: SanDiegoTaxServices, PhilaCakes...
5. Cybersquatting - Meaning you buy/register a similar name to the Company name and trying to sell to them - The chance that you are in trouble are more than the chance that they will buy your name.
6. Try to be simple and DO NOT believe in any Appraisal services. They are NOT accurate. You can sell a name to a small company for $5,000, medium company for $50,000 and to a Billion Company for $500,000 or more. So don't waste your time to look for Appraisal Here or from any company.
7. Forget about Domain Name Statistics: EMD, how many extensions have been taken, Results from Search Engines...They do not mean much to your Market.
8. Stick with reputable Registrars. Trying to save a nickel and dime here and there will not be good when it come to selling the name. Some buyers will not be interested in the name if the name is registered with some Registrars that they don't like.
9. Stick only with .COM .NET and .ORG until you are familiar with the market. There are some HOT extensions now but you have to know what name to pick/choose. Ex: .io, .xyz... Stay away until you know the Market.
10. Stay away from Outbound - It's very complicated for Newbies so don't get involve in Outbound as you may be labelled as SPAM and it will have a big affect on your Email once it's reported as Spam Email.

** BONUS - FAQ **
11. Where can I sell my names fast? No one know even with Old Members here. Just list them everywhere you can: Afternic, Dan, Sedo, etc... Make sure that you only have "Buy It Now" at one place.
12. Stay away from Trademark name: If a company name is Dick.com - Can I register BigDick.com?
No one would have the answer for you except the lawyers as they are very complicated depending on a lot of factors. This also apply when you register/buy a name that's not .com. Check the .com to see if there is a live Website before buy/register it.

Good Luck.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
8. Stick with reputable Registrars. Trying to save a nickel and dime here and there will not be good when it come to selling the name. Some buyers will not be interested in the name if the name is registered with some Registrars that they don't like.

Mecc!!! I think this is a Error Rule.
I have only about 200 domains and I traying to save as much money as possible in renews or promo codes to new registrations in any register in the world that have a minimal and viable security. Not imagine for others domainers with more than 2.000 domains in portfolio :-/

Not for all domains, my "super mega premius" not stay all the day with changes, stay in one or two register no more. But about 70% of my portfolio changes a lot to renews with the best possible price.

And this: "Some buyers will not be interested in the name if the name is registered with some Registrars that they don't like."
The first time I heard about.
If the price is good....shut up and take my money!!

PS: My best greetings to your wife.

•••
Read the title. For Newbies only. They don’t have hundred or thousand of names.

•••
•••
the This also apply when you register/buy a name that's not .com. Check the .com to see if there is a live Website before buy/register it.
Thanks John.

Can you explain this last bit?

•••
If you buy/register apple.net check to make sure that apple.com is not active as you will run into the trademark problem.

•••
If you buy/register apple.net check to make sure that apple.com is not active as you will run into the trademark problem.
Do you mean "Apple" because it's a known company? It sounded like you meant any .com registration.

•••
stay away from .org domains

•••
@johnn - What kinds of names do you suggest that newbies buy? In the above advice you're steering them away from:
  • Brandables
  • Trends
  • Geos
  • EMDs

•••
"Mistakes" is part of the learning process....it is the journey to success.

•••
Nice info, I'm note quite a beginner anymore but appreciate you taking the time to compile this list.
I agree with most of your points (although there are always exceptionally good geo and brandable names). Regarding point #11 however
Make sure that you only have "Buy It Now" at one place.
if I understood correctly do you recommend listing domains with a BIN only at one place (and the rest with make offer)? If so, why? I list my domains on BIN on all platforms. Sometimes I'd play around and reduce the price on a certain platform in order to encourage buyers to buy from that one.

•••
if I understood correctly do you recommend listing domains with a BIN only at one place (and the rest with make offer)? If so, why?

So no one buys a name at the same time from two different platforms. That happens more often than you think.

•••
So no one buys a name at the same time from two different platforms. That happens more often than you think.
Have you read some stats on that? I'd be interested in seeing them.

•••
Have you read some stats on that? I'd be interested in seeing them.

No, it's out of experience and similar stories on NP here. Unlikely it's possible to accurately determine that a non-honored operation or cancelled transaction never happened precisely because of ''double purchase'' and not for any of the hundred other reasons...

•••
Thanks a lot for this Basic insight.

•••
No, it's out of experience and similar stories on NP here. Unlikely it's possible to accurately determine that a non-honored operation or cancelled transaction never happened precisely because of ''double purchase'' and not for any of the hundred other reasons...
Interesting. I've never had an issue myself, and I always found it to be an odd thing to be concerned about. Seems odd that a buyer would make a purchase for a domain name at two different marketplaces.

•••
Interesting. I've never had an issue myself, and I always found it to be an odd thing to be concerned about. Seems odd that a buyer would make a purchase for a domain name at two different marketplaces.

No, not the same - two different people. If the name is good, the price is more on a ''reseller'' side and you don't check your emails for a few days (or even weeks - since not everyone here is an active domainer) - this situation is nothing ''out of this world''.

•••
No, not the same - two different people. If the name is good, the price is more on a ''reseller'' side and you don't check your emails for a few days (or even weeks - since not everyone here is an active domainer) - this situation is nothing ''out of this world''.
Fair enough. Although not checking emails for a few days seems borderline crazy. :D

•••
Fair enough. Although not checking emails for a few days seems borderline crazy. :D

Definitely agree with that. :)

•••
I seriously doubt this. You may not like where a name is registered but end users won't know or care.

Last edited:
•••
stay away from .org domains

General rules always have exceptions, Iinxuforums.org just sold over more than $7k at action.

Use tools like namebio.com when in doubt. Check recent, sales historic highs and lows by tld and or keyword.

•••
Thanks for all the effort you put into this series, @johnn.

While I agree with most points, re statistics, I don't entirely. I agree that number of TLDs taken does not matter in the least to an end user. However, what it does show, and what use of the term in business names shows even more strongly, is a general interest in that idea/term. It seems to me to totally ignore that leaves an investor with only their own personal experience, that almost certainly is a more biased world view.

Regarding listing BIN more than one place, I have been torn on this issue since the start. If one is not going to be online, for sure it seems unwise to do it. Also, if one has a high probability sale (like if I owned meta, NFT or metaverse in almost any TLD would probably not put BIN). Otherwise, it seems to me the odds are so small of a sale to two people at same day, that I have gone back to often listing BIN more than one place. But there is a risk, I agree. Agree with @Joe N would love to see statistics - I recall a few anecdotes of same buyer clicking BIN two places, and maybe one or two cases of sales at different prices different places almost simultaneously.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to say thank you for your great contributions on NamePros, and this series in particular, @johnn.

Bob

•••
Like I said this thread for Newbies only.
Some of the items will not apply if you are an experienced Domainer.
The idea here is to minimize the mistakes that Newbies make when they don't have a lot of experiences.
If you are an experienced Domainer then you can move on. There is no need to confuse Newbies.

•••
thank you, john, very helpful

•••
Like I said this thread for Newbies only.
Some of the items will not apply if you are an experienced Domainer.
The idea here is to minimize the mistakes that Newbies make when they don't have a lot of experiences.
If you are an experienced Domainer then you can move on. There is no need to confuse Newbies.
Appreciate the effort and opinion, @johnn but I really would be interested in hearing what types of domains you do recommend for newbies, since your advice seems to steer them away from virtually all main categories.

•••
Back