IT.COM

guide For Newbies Only #3

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
Just want to share mistakes that Newbies normally make from my experience - Do not attack. Remember this one is for Newbies Only. If you are an experience member then move on.

1. Your time is very important, try not to engage to nonsense threads. It's ok to socialize but only when you have time.
2. Spend time to read instead of asking questions. Don't be lazy. Most likely you can find out what you need to know from the forum or Google. Asking too many questions will not help but confuse you as the answers may come from newbies with no experience. Remember everyone want to be an expert by "Google".
3. Stay away from $1 auction. Begging for $1 bid is a waste of time. You will end up losing money anyhow with the time you spend to bump the thread.
4. Establish a trading record by selling names to members with small profit or even break even. People don't want to deal with members who has zero trader rating.
5. I said this before but I will have to say it again. Do not post the name here and ask for Appraisal. It will not help you at all as everyone can give you a random number and sometimes bad comments about the name. Google will index and you may have problem selling to smart user.
6. Stay away from parking if you are new. Trade Mark holder will use this reason to get their name back since you are trying to make profit from the name.
7. There are too many way to make money from domaining so pick your niche. It should be general so you have a bigger market. Stay away from current events: Crypto, Political, Virus, etc...
8. Stop asking questions that you may get the wrong answers:
- How can I sell name fast? - No one know
- What is the cheapest registrar? - Pick a popular and reputable one. A dollar or two more should not be a problem.
- I have a TM name should I be worried? - Yes you do - Stay away from them.
- What is a Premium domain? If you cannot sell it then it's not a Premium.
- Do not fall in love with a name. You are in a business of buying and selling and most likely you think the names you have are all good until you find out that you cannot sell them.
8. Turn Who is privacy on. I sold many names to businesses and companies because they contacted me from the whois information. By turning the privacy off you are blocking an entrance to your market.
9. Don't spend too much time on past sales and statistical information. You can sell the same name to different end users and they will pay for the name depending on their budget. Past sale information does not guaranty future results.
10. And the most important thing is you have to have a common sense when buying a name. Ask yourself:
- Who will be your client?
- Does the name make sense (This is the #1 Problem since many members are not English native speaking). Many times the name sounds good but it does not mean anything:
--- ElectricSoil
--- DeadStainlessSteel
--- StupidRetard
- If you have to explain a name then the name is no good.

So spend the time to read and learn before asking the questions. When you see too many junk names listed for sale then you are making a progress. You need to help yourself first before asking other people to help you.

Again just a reminder this is for Newbies only. If you are an experienced domainer then you are for sure smarter than me. I am just sharing my mistakes.

Good luck!

Next: ** For Newbies Only #4 **
Previous: *** For Newbies Only #2 ***

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everything good but i disagree with

“Stay away from $1 Auctions:”
Come on Johnn! Some gems. Some are gifted
build feedback AND a good name. Start steps

Last edited:
•••
Did you mean at #8, Turn whois privacy OFF?

•••
Dont ask for cheapest registrar.

Ask about registrar most Value.

“Your registrar is like your wife.” ;)

How your wife, @johnn ?

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot is cheap and very good register in my opinion.
On the other hand if You want to buy and go after for more or less immediate resale then I think Go Daddy (more expensive relating to buying new domain names) is better because is more popular and has more members and potential buyers.

•••
It depends for what are you interested in.
Thank you Johnn for your guide.

•••
My favorite registrar is Epik

•••
Thank you johnn for such posts...

•••
Good post. A lot of wisedom.

•••
Just want to share mistakes that Newbies normally make from my experience - Do not attack. Remember this one is for Newbies Only. If you are an experience member then move on.

1. Your time is very important, try not to engage to nonsense threads. It's ok to socialize but only when you have time.
2. Spend time to read instead of asking questions. Don't be lazy. Most likely you can find out what you need to know from the forum or Google. Asking too many questions will not help but confuse you as the answers may come from newbies with no experience. Remember everyone want to be an expert by "Google".
3. Stay away from $1 auction. Begging for $1 bid is a waste of time. You will end up losing money anyhow with the time you spend to bump the thread.
4. Establish a trading record by selling names to members with small profit or even break even. People don't want to deal with members who has zero trader rating.
5. I said this before but I will have to say it again. Do not post the name here and ask for Appraisal. It will not help you at all as everyone can give you a random number and sometimes bad comments about the name. Google will index and you may have problem selling to smart user.
6. Stay away from parking if you are new. Trade Mark holder will use this reason to get their name back since you are trying to make profit from the name.
7. There are too many way to make money from domaining so pick your niche. It should be general so you have a bigger market. Stay away from current events: Crypto, Political, Virus, etc...
8. Stop asking questions that you may get the wrong answers:
- How can I sell name fast? - No one know
- What is the cheapest registrar? - Pick a popular and reputable one. A dollar or two more should not be a problem.
- I have a TM name should I be worried? - Yes you do - Stay away from them.
- What is a Premium domain? If you cannot sell it then it's not a Premium.
- Do not fall in love with a name. You are in a business of buying and selling and most likely you think the names you have are all good until you find out that you cannot sell them.
8. Turn Who is privacy on. I sold many names to businesses and companies because they contacted me from the whois information. By turning the privacy off you are blocking an entrance to your market.
9. Don't spend too much time on past sales and statistical information. You can sell the same name to different end users and they will pay for the name depending on their budget. Past sale information does not guaranty future results.
10. And the most important thing is you have to have a common sense when buying a name. Ask yourself:
- Who will be your client?
- Does the name make sense (This is the #1 Problem since many members are not English native speaking). Many times the name sounds good but it does not mean anything:
--- ElectricSoil
--- DeadStainlessSteel
--- StupidRetard
- If you have to explain a name then the name is no good.

So spend the time to read and learn before asking the questions. When you see too many junk names listed for sale then you are making a progress. You need to help yourself first before asking other people to help you.

Again just a reminder this is for Newbies only. If you are an experienced domainer then you are for sure smarter than me. I am just sharing my mistakes.

Good luck!

thank you, Johnn
great summary

please can you elaborate about

"8. Turn Who is privacy on. I sold many names to businesses and companies because they contacted me from the whois information. By turning the privacy off you are blocking an entrance to your ."

I was thinking showing my info would help
but of course, whois changed

Last edited:
•••
thank you, Johnn
great summary

please can you elaborate about

"8. Turn Who is privacy on. I sold many names to businesses and companies because they contacted me from the whois information. By turning the privacy off you are blocking an entrance to your ."

I was thinking showing my info would help
but of course, whois changed

typo,think @johnn means privacy OFF to increase chance contact you. Thanks, johnn, heard this before, i’ll try it;
Many people do believe PRIVACY makes diff.
i believe @AbdulBasit.com, another PRO;
abides by this point; has his privacy off as well!

Can u clarify if Godaddy allows u Privacy off?
even if cant, u pointed out overlooked aspect.
Try setting “Privacy” OFF and see if offers up !

Last edited:
•••
Some good advice the information could save others i have made same mistakes which leads to similar way of thinking and the reinforcement in that so take note newbies. It all as some credibility.

Last edited:
•••
Correction for #8 since I cannot edit the original post anymore:

8. Turn Who is privacy off. I sold many names to businesses and companies because they contacted me from the whois information. By turning the privacy on you are blocking an entrance to your market.

•••
Correction for #8 since I cannot edit the original post anymore:

8. Turn Who is privacy off. I sold many names to businesses and companies because they contacted me from the whois information. By turning the privacy on you are blocking an entrance to your market.

Does this mean You are less incentivized to use Godaddy now, Johnn?

They took on off option out. Only GD where privacy only option now?

Last edited:
•••
Turn who.is on? As in, register with the site and activate notification mail? I thought it was just a place for viewing available domains, John. Thanks for the advice. Please put me through on how to activate the who.is notification.

•••
Turn who.is on? As in, register with the site and activate notification mail? I thought it was just a place for viewing available domains, John. Thanks for the advice. Please put me through on how to activate the who.is notification.

What he means is leave privacy off which makes whois open with your contact details.

•••

My dude, what he means is - turn off privacy in the privacy settings where you have registered your domain. i.e in Dynadot or Godaddy or wherever. Once you do that, your WhoIS data becomes public. Anyone can type in your domain on Whois.com and see who the owner is including all contact details.

•••
Good, short summary of what a newbie should think of upon entering domaining. Thanks for the work @johnn . What I learned is that NamePros is a great place to pick up pretty solid names for a reasonable amount of money. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
•••
Not really a newbie but I appreciate the humor in your posts @johnn. (I remember laughing for 20 minutes over a post of yours describing one amazing newb who submits names to every single request thread and has a name for every occasion 🤣)

Sound advice sir.

•••
Thank you for the post. I like the " If you have to explain a name then the name is no good." part :xf.smile:

•••
Everything good but i disagree with

“Stay away from $1 Auctions:”
Come on Johnn! Some gems. Some are gifted
build feedback AND a good name. Start steps
could be good and at times does not favor one, especially new members here cos of low thread exposure. personally my first sale here on namepros was a handreg "popxi.com" which closed at $81 and a fair profit per say. but recently I had to sell a domain which I think is worth a few $xxx for just $1 because it got just one bid.
IMO when using auction platforms which due not accept reserve prices like namepros, then one should ensure the starting bid is at least average handreg price.
@Samer @johnn

•••
Does this mean You are less incentivized to use Godaddy now, Johnn?

They took on off option out. Only GD where privacy only option now?
Nor sure what you mean @Samer. You can disable the free privacy on GD.

Last edited:
•••
Good, short summary.

Thanks for the work.

•••
Nor sure what you mean @Samer. You can disable the free privacy on GD.

Yes... but GD privacy used to (very) expensive!

More than many registrars’ .com renewals.

Last edited:
•••
Yes... but GD privacy used to (very) expensive!

More than many registrars’ .com renewals

Yes, and I was paying for a few... :(

•••
Back