Dynadot

For experts.. Appraising the different extentions???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok, I know my question may be complicated or not very clear, but I hope you understand my point and answer me ..
Are there a rule or a most trusted way to valuate the same domain name but with different extentions compared to the .com price?
Example:
domain.com / domain.net / domain.org / domain.fr
let's suppose that the most accurate and acceptable appraisal for "domain.com" is $500.000
how much will be the appraisal of the other extentions of the same name?
Is dividing the price of the .com 10 times (for example) will give us an acceptable appraisal for the .net? = $50.000 for domain.net
and dividing the price of the .com 12 times (for example) to get the .org appraisal = $41.000 for domain.org
and dividing the price of the .com 20 time (for example) to get the .fr or any other country extention = $25.000 for domain.fr/ domain.us/domain.uk ....

Can this be an accurate and acceptable way to know the price of the same domain but with the other extentions compared to the .Com price?
if yes can you please give the most accurate numbers according you to divide the .com price to get the price of the most important extentions? (like I did = 10 for .net/12 for .org/20 for countries extentions)

Thanks a lot for your answers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope. Also some domains can have value in a TLD but not in another. For example an English domain may be great in .com but in .fr it may not be worth a lot.

•••
Your .NET and .ORG evaluations are kind of on the right track. But of course it's not always going to be that consistent. As for unpopular extensions like .fr, they can have significant value but only to a small group of people. It's not universal like .net and .com.
And, what sdinc said.

•••
Nope. Also some domains can have value in a TLD but not in another. For example an English domain may be great in .com but in .fr it may not be worth a lot.

yes that's why I divided the price of the .com 20 time to get the .fr price.. from $500.000 to $25.000..
and if the .com is $10.000 the .fr will be $500 only.. and if the .com is $1000 the .fr will be $50 only..
I'm talking about just a basic or very simple way to appraise the same name with diffrent TLDs compared to the .com..

•••
I would forget the idea of comparing TLDs against another. I think domainers buy a lot of bad domains because of incorrect assumptions and inappropriate comparisons.
One thing is for sure, ccTLDs are specialized markets. You need to be familiar with the markets in questions (and the languages).

Here is another thing to consider: say you (or somebody else) sells a semi-brandable domain in .com.
Then the domain is developed and becomes TM.
What's the value of the .net or the .fr ? It could be ZERO because of:
a. TM issues => the name is neutered (more or less)
b. the sale is very unlikely to repeat, because the name is very specific

This is one more reason why 'comparable' sales may not be a good guide.

That said, you could compile your own stats using a list of reported sales, and if you filter on generic keywords (fewer TM issues and more likely to sell across several TLDs) you may notice some trends.

•••
if "domain" is generic English term, and not a trademark, my guesstimate would be:

domain.com 100%
domain.net 5-10%
domain.org 1% if that (non-profit)
domain.fr - up to 10% depending on the industry/market

•••
I am a newbie and looking to start this business. Learning alot from this forum. Accordign to @dompro only the valuable domain extension is .com, we must think hundred times before investing in anyother extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back