IT.COM

Flippa, Sedo or Afternic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Top10

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Personally, I prefer Afternic. I get more sales via them, then all other marketplaces together

•••
Personally afternic for me, ive sold more via afternic. Sedo is crap in my opinion, ive never managed to sell anything through them

•••
afternic 4 sales - sedo 1 sale not paid for - flippa (are you joking )

•••
I've also wondered the same thing. Just a few related questions about afternic.

1. Have you had sales via make offer at afternic or do you really have to use buy it now to have success at afternic?

2. Is it worth putting your best domains on afternic as make offer and do these still get seen across the network? Or again it's only worth it if you use buy it now?

3. How do you get paid at afternic? Do they use escrow and do you get an invoice after a sale?

4. Do you have the option to keep your sales private or do they report everything?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Afternic is godaddy
You dont have to list your names at godaddy, list them at afternic, they will show in godaddy search
Flippa :depressed:

•••
I've also wondered the same thing. Just a few related questions about afternic.

1. Have you had sales via make offer at afternic or do you really have to use buy it now to have success at afternic?

2. Is it worth putting your best domains on afternic as make offer and do these still get seen across the network? Or again it's only worth it if you use buy it now?

3. How do you get paid at afternic? Do they use escrow and do you get an invoice after a sale?

4. Do you have the option to keep your sales private or do they report everything?

Thanks

1) mine have always been buy it now

2) i guess its worth putting them on at a rather high buy it now to gain exposure, i dont think make offer gets as much exposure as buy it now

3)i get paid by paypal

4) i have seen no option but i guess can request it by phone/email

•••
I've just tried listing some domains on afternic as make offer.

I notice that you have to add a floor price as a minimum that an agent can accept without your permission. Just read about the floor price thing here on afternic for make offer domains and how much confusion that it can cause and potentially mean that domains are sold without the buyers knowledge due to the floor price thing.

Because of that i'm going to stay away from afternic.

•••
I've just tried listing some domains on afternic as make offer.

I notice that you have to add a floor price as a minimum that an agent can accept without your permission. Just read about the floor price thing here on afternic for make offer domains and how much confusion that it can cause and potentially mean that domains are sold without the buyers knowledge due to the floor price thing.

Because of that i'm going to stay away from afternic.
I always leave my floor price empty

•••
Most of my sales come direct as that's where the domains point. Afternic would be the strongest third party aftermarket due to their distribution network which allows you to make sales without even pointing your domains to them. So the best of both worlds, I continue doing most sales direct with no commissions or escrow fees and occasionally I make an Afternic sale as well. https://www.afternic.com/domain-reseller-network

Fine with paying a cut when their distribution network achieved the sale. Not fine with pointing domains to markets that take your inbound leads, hide buyer info, charge a cut when your own traffic brought them the lead to begin with. Great deal for them, people wanna lose 9%-30% for nothing hell I'd build ya a sales lander to take 9%-30% and rob ya too. Do your own sales pages or use efty, domainmarketpro, bodis etc... and you'll save a lot of cash while building your own end user database instead of giving away valuable leads to someone that did nothing to promote your domain. Most leads come from the landing page so don't point them to people that will hide buyer info and grab a percentage of each of your sales.

Bodis Sales Pages=Free
Your Own Script On Your Own Hosting=One Time Script Fee, Few Bucks Month Hosting Bill
Efty, DomainMarketPro etc... Subscription Service=Monthly or Yearly Fee

All of the above don't touch any of your sales revenue, free or few bucks a month trumps losing all lead info and every single sale getting whacked for 9%-30%

Last edited:
•••
Most of my sales come direct as that's where the domains point. Afternic would be the strongest third party aftermarket due to their distribution network which allows you to make sales without even pointing your domains to them. So the best of both worlds, I continue doing most sales direct with no commissions or escrow fees and occasionally I make an Afternic sale as well.

Fine with paying a cut when their distribution network achieved the sale. Not fine with pointing domains to markets that take your inbound leads, hide buyer info, charge a cut when your own traffic brought them the lead to begin with. Great deal for them, people wanna lose 9%-30% for nothing hell I'd build ya a sales lander to take 9%-30% and rob ya too. Do your own sales pages or use efty, domainmarketpro, bodis etc... and you'll save a lot of cash while building your own end user database instead of giving away valuable leads to someone that did nothing to promote your domain. Most leads come from the landing page so don't point them to people that will hide buyer info and grab a percentage of each of your sales.

That's great Jay. Really very helpful.

Please suggest the best landing page to use? I don't know how to create my own and I'm currently using Undeveloped for the last ten days. Whilst the team at Undeveloped are great and the interface is nice I really could do with a bit more traffic info like I got at Efty with Google analytics.

What do you suggest Jay? I know nothing about Bodis.

Really banging my head about this.

•••
Just load your domains to all three why not? But concentrate on keeping at least Afternic up to date as you acquire new domains.

If you’re just a seller I guess you could use one of those landing pages someone else offers. I think if you’re a broker it seems lame to be using someone else’s landing page. I have Google Analytics code loaded into each page of all my 100 or so websites not just on my domain business website. All my websites are created either from scratch or modified from templates. I’ve been creating websites since I was a pup and I’m no expert on the matter but I know how to code well enough to get the job done. If you know nothing you could still have someone build a landing page for you for very little.

Anyway landing page traffic is derived pretty much solely from the domain whether it is part of your website or part of theirs.

Last edited:
•••
That's great Jay. Really very helpful.

Please suggest the best landing page to use? I don't know how to create my own and I'm currently using Undeveloped for the last ten days. Whilst the team at Undeveloped are great and the interface is nice I really could do with a bit more traffic info like I got at Efty with Google analytics.

What do you suggest Jay? I know nothing about Bodis.

Really banging my head about this.

Depends how much control ya want...

Free...

http://blog.bodis.com/improved-domain-sale-landing-pages/

Since it's free not much motivation for them to add custom tweaks for everyone so ya kinda have to take it as it is and make suggestions and hope they add them someday.

Subscription Service...

https://www.efty.com/pricing/
https://domainmarketpro.com/plans-pricing/

Since it is a paid service more open to user suggestions, may not be immediate but usually things improve over time if a highly suggested feature.

Your own hosting account....

https://codecanyon.net
https://themeforest.net
https://www.codester.com
various standalone domain sales scripts not listed in the above links

Find a script that's as close to what ya like as possible and either tweak it yourself if capable, if not pay someone to tweak it to your standards.

Undeveloped says you'll achieve the best results by pointing your domains to them. This is because they are newer and have no significant end user traffic. Slowly all the domainer traffic will bring them end user leads so not only are you building their end user database for free they are hiding your lead info and taking 9% and domainers will applaud this? This isn't a slam specific at undeveloped it's a slam at any service that does this as a few dollars a month for hosting or a few dollars a month on a subscription service keeps all leads in house and keeps other guys from snatching a percentage of all of your sales. Out of your efty/undeveloped talk if the decision is between them 2 I would definitely pay efty a monthly fee before I lost 9% of every sale and all lead info. Build your future/database not the next guys. My own sales pages have been building an end user database for many many years filled with names, emails, phone numbers, ip addresses etc... Pay commission to someone promoting your domains https://www.afternic.com/domain-reseller-network not to someone that was handed the lead cause you pointed your domains to them. List your domains at all the aftermarkets but point them to your own pages or a subscription service that doesn't interfere with buyer info or snatch a commission from each sale.

•••
Back