IT.COM

sales First Year Domaining Results

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SBS66

Established Member
Impact
I thought I would share my results for 2016, which is the year I actually applied myself to domaining. It may help other newbies like myself or just bore the old timers with yet another annual newbie post.:xf.smile:

This is the first year that I actually applied myself to domaining, even though I had registered the name for esquire domain back in 2013. What made the difference for me, I think, is actually scouring the forum for “actionable” content. By this I mean posts that people would share with things that we can do, as opposed to just opinions about what will work, what will not work, etc., what is spam, blah, blah. That cliché about having a plan and working the plan has always worked for me.

So, in 2016, I sold 21 domains for gross sales of $7895, and domain net profit of $7335.11, which is what I had left over after escrow fees/PPal fess/domain cost. The business itself left a total profit of $4000.97, after taking into account the monthly cost of, for example, membership in this forum, phone number, hosting, GD Domain Club membership, marketing experiments, course purchases (Infosec’s course/conference, DNAcademy), EFTY marketplace, etc. My original goal in April 2016 was to make $5,000 in all of 2016; I didn’t know how that was going to happen but that is what my goal was. So, for me, 2016 has been a domaining success.

Of the 21 domains sold, 2 (SiteKart.com and LearnAppBuilding) were experiments on Flippa and here. The net profit combined was $30.00. Lesson: forget Flippa and NPs is a great place to buy.

The remaining 19 consisted of 14 legal domains and 5 other domains.

I am not ready to venture into buying domains that will cost more than $75 as I don’t think I have the acumen to value properly yet; about $95% of the purchases have been for under $9, and 4% under $20.

Inbound vs. Outbound: 1 domain has been sold via inbound, the rest have all been outbounds. I have gotten other inbound offers but they have been for $10-100, and for names that I suspect are worth more (not law related names), so they have not resulted in sales. For those names, I am trying to be patient and committed to holding them for at least 5 years, we shall see…

I wish everyone on the forum a healthful, happy and successful 2017. Thanks to everyone who posts their sales, what works/doesn’t work for them.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Great going. And well presented. Ideal for a domainer. Keep domainng and keep posting:xf.smile:(y)

•••
Congrats SB. I am happy for you :-D

I like the way you shared in detail which is appreciated to be as much transparent as possible for others to understand especially newbies.

Wish you all the best and success in 2017 and many more years to come. (y)

•••
Congrats SB. I am happy for you :-D

I like the way you shared in detail which is appreciated to be as much transparent as possible for others to understand especially newbies.

Wish you all the best and success in 2017 and many more years to come. (y)

Thank you @AbdulBasit.com! Continued success to you!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back