IT.COM

Filter 2 word names from lists

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Charley

Striving To Be The BestVIP Member
Impact
How to filter best 2 word .com names from drop lists?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You could do that with excel. It would actually be very simple thing to do. But you would need a database with good words.

•••
There are perhaps 100k expired domains each day and while feasible, I don't think excel is the best tool for that
I'd rather use MSAccess or an other rdbms tool

I can envision the following routine:

You take one domain (eg: droppeddomain.com), you remove the extension (to get droppeddomain) and you look for the longest word in the residue (dropped rather than drop), then you check if the new residue (domain) is a word or not. It's probably less than 2 hours programming with MSAccess.

If your list of desirable words is small (say 1000 words) it's easier to build a full list of 2 words once for all (so 1000000 records) and check the matches with a query.

•••
You can do that with excel, no need for VBA or anything. And you are done in 2 minutes. All you need to do is type: =if(right(a1;4)=".com";index(bla bla;match(bla bla;bla bla;0);"") copy/paste :)

•••
You could do that with excel. It would actually be very simple thing to do. But you would need a database with good words.

How to extract all dictionary words and use it for finding 2 word names in the drop lists?

•••
Just write a simple php code to filter domain name and only return if it has at least one word or has words no more than specified maximum value.

PHP:
function getWordsFromString($string) {
     // list of dictionary words, put as many words as you want here but consider memory usage and load time.
    $wordList = [
        'domain',
        'with',
        'has',
        'keywords',
        'valid',
    ];

$results = [];

foreach ($wordList as $key => $value) {
        if ( preg_match('/' . $value . '/', $string, $found) )
        {
            $results = array_merge($results, $found);
        }
    }

$results = array_map('ucwords', $results);

return $results;
}

function filterDomains(array $list, $max = 2) {
    $results = [];

foreach ($list as $key => $value) {
        $info   = pathinfo($value);
        $domain = $info['filename'];
        $tld    = $info['extension'];
        $words  = getWordsFromString($domain);

if ( ! empty($words) && ( count($words) <= $max ) )
        {
            $words = implode('', $words);

$test = str_replace(strtolower($words), null, $domain);

if ( $test == '' ) {
                $results[] = $words . '.' . $tld;
            }
        }
    }

return $results;
}

Example usage:

PHP:
$list = array(
    'domainkeywords.com', // valid, two words domain.
    'validdomain.com', // valid, two words domain.
    'haskeywords.com', // valid, two words domain.
    'domainwithkeywords.com', // invalid, 3 words domain.
    'bladomain.com', // invalid, only contains one word.
    'blablabla.com', // invalid, no words found.
);

$results = filterDomains($list);

// here is the result, each word will be capitalized.
array(
    'DomainKeywords.com',
    'ValidDomain.com',
    'HasKeywords.com',
)

•••
There is plenty of solutions, however if you are asking for an excel: You would first need a dictionary database. You need this in order to to tell excell what to search withing expiring domains. Dictionary is a human intelligence task, software can only extract a data from database, it can not generate keywords itself.

•••
The problem of splitting a word into keywords is a lot more complex than some people claim.

Of course, if you have a list of words that do not overlap (eg: boy, but NOT boys), it is very simple. As I said earlier, if your list of desirable words is small, the easiest solution is to build a table with all 2 words combinations and search the table with a query.

The complexity comes from stop words (a, and...), from words overlapping, the fact that drop lists also contain numbers and meaningless letter combinations that trigger an interest for some people (acronyms for example) and probably many more situations.

Let's take an example: boy, friend and boyfriend are all english words. If you apply a too simple routine, you may miss desirable domains such as boyfriends, myboyfriend, twoboyfriends, 3boyfriends, usboyfriend...

You have to better define what you mean by '2 words' domains, and define rules.

While all programming languages can be used to write such a routine, I maintain that to handle database problems, rdbms are a lot easier and more reliable than any other language.

Incidentally, I have been looking for software packages that split a word into keywords, and I have never found anything really suitable. If anyone has such a package, I'd love to try it.

•••
Well, I have an idea how to come close to this, but I believe costs would be to big.

You would need to develop software in three stages:

1. Searching and doing combination for keyword combinations from dictionary database.
2. Following and doing match reports from dropping list & venues where domains are sold, to see the trends.
3. Imply Human Intelligence Task services to software. This already exists, but to get valuable results, you would need xxx+ of people who I believe would want to get more than 0,1 US for scrolling your list:)

So would be wise to spend 100+ US dollars to filter domain: VRtech.com, if you can just use ctr+F in notepad and get all 27 domains starting with VR?

•••
Do you use ExpiredDomains.net for searching Pending Deletes? It so, they already have a filter for "number of words" where you can set the minimum and maximum. That's probably the quickest and easiest solution..

•••
Do you use ExpiredDomains.net for searching Pending Deletes? It so, they already have a filter for "number of words" where you can set the minimum and maximum. That's probably the quickest and easiest solution..
Thanks for sharing this - I'm going to check it out.

•••
No problem.. Here are some quick steps for those who need them:
1) Visit ExpiredDomains.net and create free account/login
2) Click "Marketplace Domains" tab at the top followed by the "Pending Delete" tab
3) Click the red 'Show Filter' link towards the top. Then, click the Additional tab
4) Look under "Keywords" and you will see the "Word Count" option.

Hope this helps!

•••
2) Click "Marketplace Domains" tab at the top followed by the "Pending Delete" tab
3) Click the red 'Show Filter' link towards the top. Then, click the Additional tab

Hope this helps!

Thanks again for sharing. This is certainly helpful to me.

•••

I had never realized that expireddomains.net had this wordcount functionality. Thanks for sharing.

•••
if you use http://F1lter.com as a registered user
you can define multiple keyword lists

so you may be able to identify your most wanted domains very very fast and easy

•••
•••
you would need a list of dictionary words. then perhaps a second list of "desirable" or "commercial" words.

you loop over the list 1 and compare them with the dropping domains. If you match a substring of the dictionary word in the drops you proceed. then you eliminate the dictionary word from the dropping domain. the remainder is then compared again against all dictionary words. if you get a match again you know it is a 2 word domain.

You could then analyze the domain and identify desirable "money" keywords in it.

for example:

if you have at least one money keyword/e.g loans) in your domain it is valuable.

at least that is what i wanted to do. perhaps there is a flaw in this but i think an approach like this or a similiar approach should work out.

I think you could do this in an few hours in python or php. It is not a sophisticated analysis but would narrow down the selection a lot.

•••
I dont see the word count option. Can you help?

no there is no word count

but do you want any 2 word combination?

F1lter.com is based on the idea that some keywords are of more value
so you enter them directly into the search box

or you can define multiple keywordlists

if you would enter "volleyball" into our list
next time you check that list and find only domains that have that word as part of the string
"starting with that string" or have that "string at the end" or "don t care for position"

the outcome domain list per day of dropping will not be long

so look at it
and fast you will find what you are wishing for

sometimes the outcome is what you want
but the process is different

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back